2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

31 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Hindsight and wishful thinking but Lawrence Shankland would have been a worthy addition in the summer. Not only for his goals tally but Dundee Utd look on course to make a nice wee bit of profit going on the hack chatter.

We could not afford his wages of over £4k per week. United blew other suitors out of the water.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Is 26 goals and a substantial sell on worth 100k? The only reason I can see why we didn't go after him if it created dressing room upheaval.

He turned down plenty of offers, so even if we broke or wage structure (which is in extremely unlikely) there was little chance he'd pick us.

I'm still concerned at our lack of options up front. Taking Long out of it, the likes of Scott, Manzinga, Ndjoli and MacIver aren't exactly experienced at this level. Apart from our loanee, the others are work in progress and haven't been seen much in the first team and James Scott isn't yet ready to play in the middle. That said goals have come from quite a few players.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

And you're basing that on what? Your gut?

No. Basing it on the many reports in the media about the interest from multiple clubs north and south of the border and the (well documented) silly money Utd have spent on their promotion bids the last couple of seasons.

12 hours ago, weeyin said:

He turned down plenty of offers, so even if we broke or wage structure (which is in extremely unlikely) there was little chance he'd pick us.

I suspect it was plenty of offers from clubs outwith the top division, time will tell with Shankland, if he is still with Dundee United  in the premiership next season that's when he will be judged, will he score 20+ goals against better opponents I doubt it. 

3 hours ago, gee said:

I’ll be surprised if we don’t sign a striker. Robinson has said before we won’t be bringing anyone else in before doing so. 

He seemed quite clear in the interview after the game last night, no money left to bring anybody else in, he also said he did not want to hamper the development of our younger players, so I think we are done for this window.

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

He seemed quite clear in the interview after the game last night, no money left to bring anybody else in, he also said he did not want to hamper the development of our younger players, so I think we are done for this window.

How many times have we heard that... Robbo can’t help himself. Suspect we got Ndjoli on a lot less wage contribution than we did for Cole so very surprised we’ve got nothing left. Extremely likely to finish in top 4 and a good cup run, sometimes you’ve got to gamble.

Unless long is going to be out for 3+ weeks, I don’t see us signing anyone. He was very complimentary of McIver and Ilic, who would be like new players if they start to perform, Manzinga has been fit enough to be on the bench lately, and Ndjoli just came in. Robbo even mentioned Sloth starting to come into the reckoning, and with that and the possibility of Dunne and Turnbull returning, we’re going to be good for numbers.

it was also encouraging to hear him talk about not blocking the pathway for our young players. Another loan would do just that, and loans are all that are out there right now.

I definitely think Shankland has still to prove himself in the top leagues. There are players that knock in goals for fun in the lower leagues then struggle in the top flight. Likewise, we have had guys like Craig Moore and Bob McHugh that couldn't cut it for us but had great success when they dropped down a level.

From what I've seen of Shankland, he doesn't contribute much more than goals. So if he's not scoring he doesn't offer much. That's unusual in the modern game - but goals are obviously a good quality to have as a striker, and when you score most weeks the other part of your game are not scrutinised.

When he was at Aberdeen he didn't manage a single goal in 17 appearances. While he was a younger player then, that will give a few managers second thoughts.

He has undoubted potential, but for me he is still untested at the top level. I didn't think he showed much against Hibs last week, but then he scored and helped them get a result. Will be very interested to see how he develops when he steps up to the next level.

I can't really recall any players who've managed to hit those kinds of numbers in the lower leagues yet couldn't make it at the top of our game. I also wouldn't read much into the 20 or so games he played for Aberdeen, he was a young lad then who seems to have come into his game into his early 20's.

22 minutes ago, David said:

I can't really recall any players who've managed to hit those kinds of numbers in the lower leagues yet couldn't make it at the top of our game. I also wouldn't read much into the 20 or so games he played for Aberdeen, he was a young lad then who seems to have come into his game into his early 20's.

It tends to be the other direction e.g. Craig Moore hitting 27 goals in 41 games when he moved down the leagues to Ayr Utd.

It's not just his time at Aberdeen that was lacking, though. His spells with St Mirren and Morton returned 14 goals in 64 games - pretty average for that division.

He undoubtedly caught fire when he dropped to the third tier, and continued that form when Ayr Utd came back up to the Championship.

But if he sticks around with Utd next season, we'll see soon enough how he handles the Premiership. I'm certainly not writing him off; just interested to see how he develops.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Andrew Barrowman @ Caley! 30 goals in championship, maybe 4 the next in the Prem

• Thanks 1

Strikers depend very much on the team they are playing in and the service they are provided. Shankland has done well at Ayr and Dundee United because both teams were flying high and creating lots of chances. From what Ive seen, the boy definitely has something about him and has clearly worked to improve himself. He is still only 24 so can develop even further. Whether he scores goals for United next year will depend a lot on how they recruit when steppjng up a level. But he would definitely score goals in our current team. Thats not gonna happen though so lets move on and talk about who we could get.

• David locked this topic