2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Seems its 1m in the hippy and 500k made up of appearances and other kickbacks which is far from guaranteed. Scott looks likely to massively increase his wages and I hope some of the income comes back in to increase the wages of someone like Allan Campbell who has been a mainstay, consistent and maybe feeling it seeing his peers leave for decent salary rises.

I sincerely hope the 500k isn't part of a sell on clause, that should be a separate entity I hope but know nothing of contracts these days.

• Like 1

If we get someone in this is really good business. If we don't it's fuckin shite. I've been critical of Scott but his first half performance against Hibs was one of his best, that sort of performance is going to be tough to replace. 

1 hour ago, johnstone said:

That’s nonsense. From what I’ve heard is that his attitude since joining has been shite. That’s totally down to the player. Motherwell signed a Danish international and ended up with a homesick dud.

The amount of money we will have wasted on him he should have at least got a shot off the bench to see if he has anything.

I've heard that he has an attitude problem but I've also seen him out and about with other players and he seems to happily engage with fans. I'm guessing it's an issue between him and our angry manger and it's easier to freeze him out if the fans never see him play. Robinson doesn't want another Bigi situation.

5 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Seems its 1m in the hippy and 500k made up of appearances and other kickbacks which is far from guaranteed. Scott looks likely to massively increase his wages and I hope some of the income comes back in to increase the wages of someone like Allan Campbell who has been a mainstay, consistent and maybe feeling it seeing his peers leave for decent salary rises.

I sincerely hope the 500k isn't part of a sell on clause, that should be a separate entity I hope but know nothing of contracts these days.

Campbell's already had a wage bump this season. If he wants another one he'll have to add more to his game.

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I also hope this "sell our youngsters before they manage a full season" trend is something that we see the end of soon.

As I've said in other threads, the main point of the academy is to develop a quality of player we could never afford to buy. Of course selling them on for a profit is an import aspect - but that should be secondary. The only reason for our club (or any club) to exist is to entertain the fans.

If we choose to flog all our young talent 6 months after they establish a first team spot, then we start to lose the ethos of developing our own.

100% correct

I was hoping we would sign a  central striker today and that there would be no departures but it now looks like scott will be off,let's hope there's time to get a couple in as the thought of having to over rely on seedorf and ndjoli doesn't sit to well with me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I also hope this "sell our youngsters before they manage a full season" trend is something that we see the end of soon.

As I've said in other threads, the main point of the academy is to develop a quality of player we could never afford to buy. Of course selling them on for a profit is an import aspect - but that should be secondary. The only reason for our club (or any club) to exist is to entertain the fans.

If we choose to flog all our young talent 6 months after they establish a first team spot, then we start to lose the ethos of developing our own.

Outwith our control to an extent but we are approaching a tipping point where fan enthusiasm for youth development will diminish if we continue to lose our top products after limited or no first team appearances. 

Regarding James Scott, I like him a lot and was looking forward to watching him develop into a goalscoring Motherwell number 9 over the next 6-12 months. The offer from Hull may prove too good for club and player to turn down but I fear a move at this point will be detrimental to his development. Despite his genuine talent, I don’t think he is ready for Championship football. In the interest of the boy and the national team, hopefully he is good enough to adapt quickly and avoid a Erwin/Hastie scenario. 

Personally, I'll be gutted to see James Scott go.

I think he will develop into one hell of a player. He just needs to start putting the ball in the net.

I'd have preferred to see that at Motherwell. I think if he was still here when Turnbull returns, the goals will come.

22 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Scott has had a decent crack for just under a year so he’s had a good opportunity and we’ve got to see him do well. Turnbull will stay until at least the end of the season, and wee Al looks like he’s staying even though I can’t believe nobody has tried for him.

Turnbull was offski - but at least he could claim he was a first team regular. (I'd still have kept him another season, though).

And Scott only got a few games towards the end of last season when there was nothing to play for. Good experience, but hardly a crack. This has been his breakthrough season, and it seems we're happy to offload him - and on the last day of the window.

If Scott goes, then Campbell will be the only academy graduate playing on Saturday.

We now operate where every player has a price and once you meet that valuation they go.

Which is a good way to operate a business, not the most romantic way to run a football club though.

A million, plus 500k for appearance etc. Plus a sell on is great business, we'd get solidarity payments if he ever goes for big money which is potentially a nice earner.

Will be frustrated if we don't bring anyone in now though. I'm thinking Watt and another forward player. 

Anyone looking to buy Kipre yet? Imagine hedl would be going for about 4m now so any sell on we have is a decent chunk of change.

• David locked this topic