2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

5 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

If Scott goes we are left without a striker and winger basically. Replacing him with just a winger leaves us very short for a #9. We would have Long and Mazinga which is far too bare. Another good thing about Scott was he could play two positions

I agree that Scott's versatility is useful. But if we sell him and bring in a replacement,  I'm hoping not to hear the phrase 'he can play anywhere across the front three'.  Every striker we've signed this season has had that description. Would be nice to sign someone that is an out and out striker...

• Like 1

At the figures quoted it seems to be a good deal and probably one the club can't really turn down, however its not half depressing for fans that good, young talent seems to be heading out the door after 1/2 a season if you're lucky...…...Although, granted its better than developing young players that aren't good enough and no one wants as a result, would just be good to get a couple of seasons watching them develop.

I fear a slide down the table and a Scottish Cup exit if we don't sign at least one striker today....

• Like 2

It sounds like Scott is on the way out but the timing is certainly terrible. I would think it’s unlikely we will replace him this late in the window and as others have stated it’s leaving us with next to no quality up front. It’s probably also going to reduce the chance of European football next season.

1 minute ago, Happy Dosser said:

Except MJ couldn't get out of FP quick enough (according to McGhee).

Was that more to do with McGhee than the club itself? He has come back to see us so I wouldnt imagine he burnt his bridges. Not that we could afford him anyway

I am a bit saddened to see Scott go. 
Like many before I still feel in the current market he is undervalued and I had high hopes for him. Not saying he would fulfil this promise but I just feel this is too soon. But I also understand if we net £1.5m + that is a fair chunk of money for a fan owned club. 

All that said I would be more underwhelmed if we do not manage to get a forward in the door before midnight. I felt we needed one before Scott moves on. Long was coming onto a game but him apart the rest are not reliable enough for fighting for Europe and in the cup. If it comes to it I would take Watt or even Main rather than nobody. Obvs I would want a better calibre of player, but easier said than done this late in the window. 

I'd much rather watch Scott and Turnbull on the pitch than read the balance statement.

I'd also rather see us give ourselves the best chance of a cup final and a Euro spot this season than cash in too early on our young players.

I don't pay my 'Well Society subs to help agents profit from my contributions, and while I totally understand there has to be compromise between finances and football, football always has to come first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh well good luck to him, big move to a good club in truth but obviously like all of us slightly gutted. It would have been nice to have watched him develop over the next 12 months but I don’t see how the club could turn down 1.5 million so understandable. Can we get someone in this late in the day ? I don’t see it sadly.

Just now, Yorkyred said:

I don’t see how the club could turn down 1.5 million so understandable.

We say "No. We don't have time to bring in a replacement, and we have enough belief in the player and the coaching staff to think he'll be better and more valuable by the summer of 2021 - when he'll still have a year left on his contract."

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We say "No. We don't have time to bring in a replacement, and we have enough belief in the player and the coaching staff to think he'll be better and more valuable by the summer of 2021 - when he'll still have a year left on his contract."

There is of course the player to think of and how he would react to the club not giving him the chance of the move.

• David locked this topic