2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We say "No. We don't have time to bring in a replacement, and we have enough belief in the player and the coaching staff to think he'll be better and more valuable by the summer of 2021 - when he'll still have a year left on his contract."

Depends what was in the extended deal that he signed

There could have been a clause where he had the option to leave if we received a bid over £1M

No one bar the club the player and his agent know what was in that extended contract 

So your assumption that the club could just say NO may be a load of shite 

• Like 3

Really dissappointing to see Scott go, and could derail what promised to be a fantastic season! To be left with such sparse striking options for the rest of the season is awful. 

I actually think our league position has helped the boards decision here. We are Guaranteed to be Top 6 now, which most likely wouldnt have been budgeted for. So if we lose the rest of our games due to having no decent strikers we still end the Season Top 6 but with extra cash in the bank

5 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Really dissappointing to see Scott go, and could derail what promised to be a fantastic season! To be left with such sparse striking options for the rest of the season is awful. 

I actually think our league position has helped the boards decision here. We are Guaranteed to be Top 6 now, which most likely wouldnt have been budgeted for. So if we lose the rest of our games due to having no decent strikers we still end the Season Top 6 but with extra cash in the bank

Not throwing toys out of pram (well yes I am) 

But again we needed a striker before Scott left.  Failure to get anyone in before midnight would really be a p1sser. 

But there is time yet to make this not such a bad day. 

I see Hull have also signed Marcus Maddison on loan from Peterborough. He’s been playing up front as part of a front three this season (a la Scott) and is a more likely starter than James, could this potentially stall the transfer until the summer? Would be delighted if so, few extra quid potentially. 

On bbc webpage Scott Mullen is suggesting we are likely to bring someone in if scott leaves so maybe there is an iron in the fire there. Unlikely, but would love it to be dykes.

I am probably in the "disappointed we accepted this" camp, given the potential for the season we have remaining.

But good luck to scott if it happens, hope it doesnt prove to be too soon and we see him again in a scotland jersey in a few seasons. 

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'd much rather watch Scott and Turnbull on the pitch than read the balance statement.

I'd also rather see us give ourselves the best chance of a cup final and a Euro spot this season than cash in too early on our young players.

I don't pay my 'Well Society subs to help agents profit from my contributions, and while I totally understand there has to be compromise between finances and football, football always has to come first.

I completely agree with everything you're saying, however I think you need to be mindful that we're a club that has only just cleared it's debts and are now in a position to develop a strategy of investment / building a structure which will hopefully allow us to consistently put a strong team on the park and give us, the fans, a more consistent chance of cup finals and Euro spots. It may be boring necessity over the next few years but if money is invested wisely we could have years and years of quality talent through the team rather than the occasional gem. 

Our current financial strategy also involves selling one player a season for a decent amount  - our last big sale was Kipre in August 2018. Despite losing a few academy players (Hastie / Caddden) we didn't hit a big sale in the summer transfer window so £1m would be a huge boost for the club just now. 

Also, I think the fact we're getting through the transfer window and holding onto Gallagher, Polworth, Campbell, Donnelly and Gillespie is cause for celebration.

But aye, I'd rather watch Scott and Turnbull too.... but I get what the club are doing here. 

• David locked this topic