2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Seems we got a good few with a sell-on, as per standard transfer these days. Sad to see him go as was really enjoying watching him in recent weeks, but good bit of business in the long run I’m sure. 

If he continues developing as I’m sure we all hope he will, we’ll be seeing him at a much higher level sooner or later. 

Bank the cash, secure Europe and then let’s get a few more Moults/Kipres/Johnsons in at the summer to supplement the bold DT!

46 minutes ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

I can't agree with the comments of fans who say that losing Scott will harm our season. The club can't turn down that amount of money for a young player with potential. How many of us would consider our final league place suffered recently when the likes of Murphy, Erwin, Cadden or Hastie moved on? Yes any one of them may have weakened the squad but I don't recall any noticeable damage to that particular season or final spot. We move on and the manager and staff will no doubt keep producing promising youngsters.

exactly James took his chance did well and could very well become a top player. The money offered frankly is ridiculous for a 19 y/o but that the way the game is and good on Motherwell for starting to get fees we could only dream off a few years ago. James at his age and development is replaceable  I genuinely thought wed lose Gallagher in this window and that would have been a huge blow and very difficult to replace. Good move for all parties. 

In my honest opinion we’ve got 1.5 million which keeps is excellent for us, for a 19 year old player who lets face it was good on his day and I like him but could be very frustrating and not exactly as good as your Turnbull or even Hasties granted they’re older. However selling him for that money and arguably signing someone better for 6 months is a cracking piece of business. 

Just now, supermarv said:

In my honest opinion we’ve got 1.5 million which keeps is excellent for us, for a 19 year old player who lets face it was good on his day and I like him but could be very frustrating and not exactly as good as your Turnbull or even Hasties granted they’re older. However selling him for that money and arguably signing someone better for 6 months is a cracking piece of business. 

Don’t think anyone could make an argument for signing someone arguably better than Scott. 

3 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Its nowhere near £1.5m tho. Its LESS than Faddy, so in reality £1m with a sell on clause. Im very dissappointed in that. We could/would have got at least that in the Summer.

Clubs are sniffing about Shankland for 3times as much, and he's 5 years older and has never played a game in the SPL!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Its nowhere near £1.5m tho. Its LESS than Faddy, so in reality £1m with a sell on clause. Im very dissappointed in that. We could/would have got at least that in the Summer.

Clubs are sniffing about Shankland for 3times as much, and he's 5 years older and has never played a game in the SPL!

Where were Aberdeen playing when he was with them?

Good transfer window: retained Gallagher, Campbell et al; removed wage burners (Sloth); sold a promising, entertaining but far from fully developed talent (Scott) for in excess of a million ( and if he continues to develop we make more if not we have a million); and we take a punt on a couple of useful looking talents we can refurbish ( Ndjoli and Aarons). Can’t see any of that slowing our momentum as we push for Cup and Europe. COUW

6 minutes ago, Shaka said:

You think 1 million quid for a 19 year old who still has a way to go is disappointing ...we sold Marvin Johnston for half that sum. 

1 minute ago, supermarv said:

We need someone to score goals , the last game against Hibs where we dropped , in my opinion , 2 easy points due to the lack of a presence in the box evidenced that , getting rid of someone who seldom scores them , banking a right few quid and financing a striker to give us a fighting chance at a cup run and a rare European place i could've lived with . I cant have been the only one to give out a "FFS" when i saw we had signed another winger. Surely  we arent going to go with only Long for the rest of the season ? Im still hopeful we wont do that

As for folk complaining about only a million for Scott , doubtless the same chaps who expected Conor Ripley to be playing for England and Marvin Johnson to be crossing them in for Louis Moult  at Barcelona by now

2 minutes ago, ML1 said:

We need someone to score goals , the last game against Hibs where we dropped , in my opinion , 2 easy points due to the lack of a presence in the box evidenced that , getting rid of someone who seldom scores them , banking a right few quid and financing a striker to give us a fighting chance at a cup run and a rare European place i could've lived with . I cant have been the only one to give out a "FFS" when i saw we had signed another winger. Surely  we arent going to go with only Long for the rest of the season ? Im still hopeful we wont do that

As for folk complaining about only a million for Scott , doubtless the same chaps who expected Conor Ripley to be playing for England and Marvin Johnson to be crossing them in for Louis Moult  at Barcelona by now

From Steven Robinson   “His arrival will also allow us to move Mikael Ndjoli into his more natural position as a central striker, instead of playing in wide positions.”

9 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

From Steven Robinson   “His arrival will also allow us to move Mikael Ndjoli into his more natural position as a central striker, instead of playing in wide positions.”

“Mikael is quick, strong and gives us an option all across the forward line,” 

and 4 career goals suggests he isnt the focal point i was hoping we would be going with for the second half of the season

Fingers crossed though

* 4 league goals , teach me to rely on Wikipedia

5 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Depends what was in the extended deal that he signed

There could have been a clause where he had the option to leave if we received a bid over £1M

No one bar the club the player and his agent know what was in that extended contract 

So your assumption that the club could just say NO may be a load of shite 

If that was the case, why would Hull bid £750k instead of enough to trigger the release clause?

Or is your assumption that the club had to say YES a load of shite?

17 minutes ago, ropy said:

Where were Aberdeen playing when he was with them?

Apologies. Shankland played a few games for Aberdeen in the SPL, couldnt hack it and was released, playing in the Championship since! That makes it so much better

4 minutes ago, ML1 said:

“Mikael is quick, strong and gives us an option all across the forward line,” 

and 4 career goals suggests he isnt the focal point i was hoping we would be going with for the second half of the season

Fingers crossed though

The official site says it will let Ndjoli play in his more natural central position (although I'm sure when he signed he was touted as a wide player).

First of all, I have nothing against Scott leaving - if he felt it was a good deal, more power to the guy.  Given that he was in and out of the team (and form) for us, I'd be surprised of he gets much of a sniff of Hull's first team at this stage, but stranger things happen in football.

Last moan on the subject - selling a developing youngster with two and a half years left on his contract and bringing in two short term loans to develop for other teams to sell on, is not the way to develop the team at the grass roots level.  If we just want to make money, we could scrap the academy and focus on recruitment of guys like Johnson, Moult, Hall and Kipre to flip for a quick profit.

I hope, we are better than that, but for a club that keeps saying we are in good financial shape and don't "need" to sell anyone, there's not much locally sourced produce left in stock.

I'm shutting up now.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Shaka said:

And that’s why nobody will touch him for that price I rate Shankland very highly but he’s not worth that. For the record Motherwell fans need to get realistic we aren’t going to be buying anyone for 100k+. 

4 hours ago, Hope Springs said:

Good transfer window: retained Gallagher, Campbell et al; removed wage burners (Sloth); sold a promising, entertaining but far from fully developed talent (Scott) for in excess of a million ( and if he continues to develop we make more if not we have a million); and we take a punt on a couple of useful looking talents we can refurbish ( Ndjoli and Aarons). Can’t see any of that slowing our momentum as we push for Cup and Europe. COUW

Would be nice to see him follow the same path as Andy Robertson 

Really disappointed to see James Scott go. I think he has a lot of talent and it would have been nice to see him realise it in claret and amber before heading off on the next stage of his development. However, the days of our young players getting over 100 games before they move on appear to be over.

In respect of the fee, anyone who thinks £1.5m isnt great business for a 19 year old with 36 appearances to his name needs to have a word with themselves.

I wish the boy all the best. Hopefully he will do us proud and the sell on for his next move will be even bigger!

• David locked this topic