2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

The fact that any team in world football is paying  £1.5 million for a 19 year old striker with half a dozen professional goals to his name is crazy. However that is the crazy world we live in. Football transfer fees are obscene, so relatively speaking £1.5 million for James Scott becomes a issue for discussion and debate.

My opinion is that this is a great piece of business by the club. Four league goals is not prolific. With a fit Christopher Long it is debatable if Scott would be a first team starter week in week out. I understand the argument about potential but potential can be fulfilled or it can fizzle out. I think unfortunately we are a club that cannot indulge in the luxury of waiting to find out  when these offers come along.

The bigger picture ( that the likes of Steelboy will refuse to admit) is that we should be celebrating the fact that we are in this position in the first place. The club and Robinson himself should be congratulated for producing and nurturing these players. Scott, Turnbull, Campbell, Cadden etc. This is a fantastic return.  What other Scottish club is producing this young talent at the moment? We should be celebrating this success.

Let's enjoy watching Scott develop at Hull (if he does) and hope that the club can make good use of the £1.5 million (a considerable amount of money) to develop the new young talent.

• Like 2

For me the fee is brilliant for us. I think he was decent but not the most exciting youngster I have saw. Look at what we got for Murphy, yes players are valued by ability but also length of contract just look at Hastie and Cadden. This was the time to sell James and I wish him all the best but to be honest I think it's a great deal for our club so well done to the board. 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

I didn't think we should sack Robinson over the Oldham player but that we should ensure no one was behaving like that at Fir Park.

There is no point in being in denial that we are likely to be looking for a new manager before the end of the season.

Give your head a wobble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Taken from Pie and Bovril.

Now the dust has settled on the (unexpected) Deadline Day big cash prize event, I had posted a variation of this around the time of The Magnificent David Turnbull Transfer Saga in the summer that's sort of worth updating.

Since Hutchison took over (30th Jan 2015) and in turn we became fan-owned we've seen these reported fees (a pinch of salt should obvs be taken):

19/20 - James Scott (Hull City) - £1.5m - Transfer
19/20 - Reece McAlear (Norwich City) - £250k - Transfer
19/20 - Jake Hastie (Rangers) £300k - Development Compensation
19/20 - Stuart McKinstry (Leeds United) - £400k* - Transfer
18/19 - Ryan Bowman (Exeter City) - £30k - Transfer
18/19 - Cedric Kipré (Wigan) - c.£1m - Transfer
17/18 - Louis Moult (Preston North End) - £500k - Transfer 
17/18 - Ben Heneghan (Sheffield United) - £350k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Marvin Johnson (Oxford United) - £750k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Stephen Pearson (Atletico Kolkata) - £100k - Transfer 
16/17 - Ben Hall (Brighton) - £210k - Development Compensation
14/15 - Lee Erwin (Leeds United) - £500k - Development Compensation

= £5.89m

That obviously omits anything that may be due from Chris Cadden shafting us and I've also seen mention of Kyle Semple to Rangers for about £50k but he was still listed as a Motherwell player in the last Scotland u16s squad so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

During McCall's entire tenure (30 December 2010 - 2nd November 2014) these players left:

10/11 - Mark Reynolds (Sheffield Wednesday) - £100k
11/12 - John Sutton (Hearts) - free 
12/13 - Steve Jennings (Coventry City) - free
12/13 - Jamie Murphy (Sheffield United) - £100k 
12/13 - Nicky Law (Rangers) - free 
13/14 - Darren Randolph (Birminham) - free 
13/14 - Chris Humphrey (Preston North End) - free 
13/14 - Henrik Ojamaa - (Legia Warsaw) - £300k
13/14 - Michael Higdon - (NEC Nijmegen) - free
13/14 - Tom Hateley - (Tranmere Rovers) - free
14/15 - Shaun Hutchinson (Fulham) - free
14/15 - Henri Anier (Erzgebirge Aue) - £300k

Total: £800k.

This is a great post, and while maybe not 100% verified, there cant be much missing there. We must have got something for robbie leitch? Sell on for johnson? Not to mention how the numbers would reflect had the turnbull deal gone through.

Nevertheless it shows that were going in the right direction IMO. Since the faddy transfer, we only ever received buttons for players until a bit more recently, maybe with the exception of clarky (circa 600k?). 

I would love to have kept scott for the run in, he was great to watch. But we're getting ourselves into a position where it is taking significant bids to get these boys away from us. It's not too long ago we would have jumped at hulls first 750k bid.

And the more wisely we invest it - the required bid is only going to go up.  This is something to be positive about. Other provincial scottish clubs should take note.

Burrows, if you're reading this, keep up the good work for the club we all f**king love :thumbup:

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

It's a terrible fee to accept. In 2001 we got 900k from Wigan in League One for Lee McCulloch. Using the BoE inflation calculator that's £1.5m today. So basically we've sold Scott for 2/3rds of the McCulloch fee which is an utter joke. Burrows is lucky that most of our support won't realise this and think £1m in 2020 is the same as £1m in the 90s. He was banging on about phoning fans in the podcast so I'll await a call or text to explain this!

The only reason to sell now would be to strengthen the squad and instead we have signed another absolute no hoper. Robinson pushing Ndjoli as a striking option after starting MacIver in front of him is another slap in the face but to be fair he has other things on his mind.

The bottom line is we have weakened our squad this window when we are going for third, Europe and still in the cup. We have scored two goals from open play in the last 6 league games. We needed to strengthen if we have any ambition.

I am sure every supporter, yourself excepted does not give a feck about what £1 mil was worth 20 years ago compared to now, so as its 2020  getting £1.5 mil  for a developing player who cost us nothing is a very good bit of business.

Personally I thought the timing of the move was poor given our current  options up front, but if we re-shuffle with ndjoli and long, with Aaron's coming in we should be ok

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

It's a terrible fee to accept. In 2001 we got 900k from Wigan in League One for Lee McCulloch. Using the BoE inflation calculator that's £1.5m today. So basically we've sold Scott for 2/3rds of the McCulloch fee which is an utter joke. Burrows is lucky that most of our support won't realise this and think £1m in 2020 is the same as £1m in the 90s. He was banging on about phoning fans in the podcast so I'll await a call or text to explain this!

The only reason to sell now would be to strengthen the squad and instead we have signed another absolute no hoper. Robinson pushing Ndjoli as a striking option after starting MacIver in front of him is another slap in the face but to be fair he has other things on his mind.

The bottom line is we have weakened our squad this window when we are going for third, Europe and still in the cup. We have scored two goals from open play in the last 6 league games. We needed to strengthen if we have any ambition.

I think you would still be a miserable bastard if you were given 1 million quid personally by the club, would say its not the same value as a million quid from 1962

55 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I am sure every supporter, yourself excepted does not give a feck about what £1 mil was worth 20 years ago compared to now, so as its 2020  getting £1.5 mil  for a developing player who cost us nothing is a very good bit of business.

Personally I thought the timing of the move was poor given our current  options up front, but if we re-shuffle with ndjoli and long, with Aaron's coming in we should be ok

one-million-dollars-5bw4ql.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

Wasn't that for  Lee McCulloch and Stevie MacMillan?

I wasn't a big fan of the Watt option before we sold Scott (as I'd prefer if we had been able to develop him for the remainder of the season). Now that Scott's moved on, I agree it's a low risk option to take a look and see if he can do a job for the remainder.

• David locked this topic