2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

I am absolutely desperate for Craig Tanner to get back to the level he once was. Not for the team, but for himself. By the commentary and media stuff he sounds like a superb guy and he thoroughly deserves it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I am absolutely desperate for Craig Tanner to get back to the level he once was. Not for the team, but for himself. By the commentary and media stuff he sounds like a superb guy and he thoroughly deserves it. 

Same here. I'll miss him on the commentary this season, but will be delighted if he gets back to his A-game. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Maybe I have forgot how good he was but I can't help but think he's being remembered very, very fondly. Not to say I didn't think he was a good player.

I think he was our second top scorer (and number one for assists) when he got injured.  Given our dire form - especially the first half of that season - that wasn't too shabby.

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I think he was our second top scorer (and number one for assists) when he got injured.  Given our dire form - especially the first half of that season - that wasn't too shabby.

Not to take away from the impact he made but are you perhaps mixing up the start of last season and the season before?  We'd reached a Cup Final, were on the way to another and were borderline top six in the only season Tanner has featured for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy_P said:

Not to take away from the impact he made but are you perhaps mixing up the start of last season and the season before?  We'd reached a Cup Final, were on the way to another and were borderline top six in the only season Tanner has featured for us.

I'm thinking the 2017/18 season when Accies destroyed us at Fir Park in December when Hartley sold 2 goals and was sent off after the game. Tanner scored the opener, Moult and Cadden were out injured and Campbell went off early.

We played 7 games that month (I was at 2 of them) and managed 1 draw and 6 defeats. 

The cup runs were great, but the league football entertainment was dire - and Tanner was one of the few (or only) players we had that could beat men and pass a ball.

I really liked Tanner.  If he can get back to anything like what he was, he's a very different option to any of the other midfielders we've got, really. So that's probably good.

17 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Same here, he has to keep my niece in the manner she's accustomed 

I thought the first half of the 17/18 season was pretty decent in the league right up til December.  Remember winning at Dens Park in a midweek game to go third, above Rangers at the time.   Tanner scoring that game as he did against Dundee in most of the games that season. 

As I said, I only saw us live in the league December -  and we lost 6 of them, and lucky to draw the one we did. And while the cup games were certainly entertaining, it seemed like we didn't "earn the right to play football" in the league until the last game of the season against Accies when Turnbull, Bigi and Ciftci were let off their leashes.

(It's quite possible, however, that my view of our league form was tainted by those abject performances I witnessed live  and the brief youtube highlights each week).

Our league form was alright before then but our three games in a week against Celtic seemed to kill off our spirit and left us with a number of injuries. We desperately needed the winter break to recharge our batteries because we were jaded and couldn't handle the number of games in December. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, daver said:

Our league form was alright before then but our three games in a week against Celtic seemed to kill off our spirit and left us with a number of injuries. We desperately needed the winter break to recharge our batteries because we were jaded and couldn't handle the number of games in December. 

We more or less lost the spine of our team, Carson, Hartley, cadden, Moult and a few others, all at the same time after those 3 games against celtic.

• Like 1

I'd be in two minds about Carson moving on.

Selfishly I'm not unhappy that we have two excellent "first-choice" keepers on the books when you consider that twice last season we required keepers to come off the bench and of course we had Carson's "injury" emerge from nowhere. It illustrates that if you can afford to run with two, it's no bad thing.

But then there's the consideration that he's in his last year and should we look to get a fee?  Is it wrong to make the assumption he would show the same kind of form he did before? Given  how the club have worked in the past with the likes of Andy Rose is there some kind gentleman's agreement in there about bids for him (especially after the Celtic bid?).

Interesting one.

49 minutes ago, gee said:

Hopefully more than Swindon interested and we could get a reasonable fee is he is to move on?

Gillespie looks to be in great form so the move makes sense. 

But our back up is out at Linfield, possible loan incoming?

2 hours ago, gee said:

Hopefully more than Swindon interested and we could get a reasonable fee is he is to move on?

Gillespie looks to be in great form so the move makes sense. 

I’m sure that part of the deal with Hartlepool when he signed was that they get 40% of an transfer 

4 hours ago, ropy said:

But our back up is out at Linfield, possible loan incoming?

Perhaps we have a clause allowing us to get him back at some point. By all accounts he was outstanding in their Europa League game. 

For a club like Motherwell it is a luxury to have two out and out 1st team keepers.  

I really like Carson but as Gillespie proved yesterday he is our No1 and so Carson would need to play 1st team football. Feel sorry about the position he finds himself in through no fault of his own. 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Trevor has been brilliant for us but we need our money on the park, not the bench. We are desperate for a holding midfielder, a striker and another winger.

Yep. Gillespie was signed as a first team keeper when we thought Carson was leaving. They are both top notch and both need to be starting, so unfortunately, one of them needs to move on. 

10 hours ago, Andy_P said:

I'd be in two minds about Carson moving on.

Selfishly I'm not unhappy that we have two excellent "first-choice" keepers on the books when you consider that twice last season we required keepers to come off the bench and of course we had Carson's "injury" emerge from nowhere. It illustrates that if you can afford to run with two, it's no bad thing.

But then there's the consideration that he's in his last year and should we look to get a fee?  Is it wrong to make the assumption he would show the same kind of form he did before? Given  how the club have worked in the past with the likes of Andy Rose is there some kind gentleman's agreement in there about bids for him (especially after the Celtic bid?).

Interesting one.

I suspect no fee will be involved and the gentleman’s agreement you refer to will indeed be in place to let him move on  

• Like 1

I worry that Robinson has gone too far away from the physicality that he always emphasised in our two cup finals season. We were OK against the teams we played in the League Cup but yesterday showed the lack of strength in the midfieId. I do not see anyone in our squad that can be as physical as Bowman, Rose, McHugh or Gorrin. I don't see Donnelly, Polworth, Campbell, Sloth or Semple bullying other midfielders. Robinson's mantra has always been you need to win the battle and earn the right to play. It remains to be seen if we have the players equipped t do this.

• Like 1

I understand people’s concerns but it’s still far too early to make an accurate assessment. It took Gorrin months to get up to speed and play the way we want the new players to immediately emulate. 

• David locked this topic