Jump to content

Kmcalpin

2019-20 Rebuild

Recommended Posts

Hartley looked overweight in the two league cup games.

I think there is a question if he has ever been fully fit since his injury. Giving him a big contract while injured wasn't a great move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:27 PM, DEWELL said:

Celtic fan told me Jack Hendry is by far the Worst centre half he's ever seen. Yes thought Robinson would be interested in

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hartley's career went downward after his stupid comments before the 3-3 against Rangers last season, stupid way for captain to behave and stooped to old firms level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hartley got the equalizer in that game and got us a point we probably didn’t expect, so I dont think his comments are a factor in his current status.

In addition to his injuries he was unable to play alongside Aldred (as the left side of the 3) or force his way into the center.  Then we went to a back 4 reducing his chances further.  By all accounts he is training well, but it’s hard to see him replace Dunne since his distribution is worse and he’s slower.

He hasn’t had a run of games in a long time, so it’s hard to judge his ability on the odd game he has featured in. He’s probably still good enough to do a decent job for us, but that might not be enough to justify his salary, which must be close to the highest on our books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that I have read comments on here saying that Dunne can't play centre half in a back four. Thing that strikes me is that it seems very true of Hartley. All his best performances have come at the centre of a back three with two tall, quick centre halfs either side of him. If we're going to stick with a back four (and I don't know if I would frankly), he's simply a waste of a wage. Far better if he could find somewhere he will get game time and we bring in a guy who can play in a back four.

I also agree that questions should be asked about why he was signed on a permanent deal while injured. A ridiculous decision...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunne is a decent CH at this level. he just can't pass very well. It's only gonna look worse next to Gallagher but teams are forcing us to play to Dunne and pressuring him to play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I also agree that questions should be asked about why he was signed on a permanent deal while injured. A ridiculous decision...

Yeah but what about the #content...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't Hartley fit when he signed permanently (albeit facing a suspension for the Dougie Imrie incident) but got injured in training a few days later? That's certainly how I remember it, I may be wrong.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, DEWELL said:

Long is absolutely hopeless.

Hopeless. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me if my sarcasm wasn't clear...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long certainly has a degree of skill, he’s just struggled with the pace of the game early on, how many times has he overrun the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we think there will be movement ahead of the window closing next week?  

Heard mumblings of a striker and Jack Hendry rumour however. Would prefer to see us being in a central midfielder and a striker if possible however can’t see anyone else heading for the exit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Do we think there will be movement ahead of the window closing next week?  

Heard mumblings of a striker and Jack Hendry rumour however. Would prefer to see us being in a central midfielder and a striker if possible however can’t see anyone else heading for the exit...

Personally I think he will be trying to bring in a central striker as a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbo himself said he is looking for a center half and a striker:

Robinson is also continuing his search to improve his squad, and while he wouldn’t be drawn on a move for Celtic defender Jack Hendry, he did admit that he is still hoping to strengthen several areas of his side.

“I won’t discuss anyone else’s players,” he said. “I’m looking at every area still.

“Peter Hartley was unavailable for the game last Friday due to family reasons, and that made me realise we are a little bit short.

“We had a deal fall through for a centre-forward that we thought we might have got in, so everything is ongoing at the minute.”

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17858270.stephen-robinson-hopes-motherwell-clean-bill-health-derby/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Robbo himself said he is looking for a center half and a striker:

Robinson is also continuing his search to improve his squad, and while he wouldn’t be drawn on a move for Celtic defender Jack Hendry, he did admit that he is still hoping to strengthen several areas of his side.

“I won’t discuss anyone else’s players,” he said. “I’m looking at every area still.

“Peter Hartley was unavailable for the game last Friday due to family reasons, and that made me realise we are a little bit short.

“We had a deal fall through for a centre-forward that we thought we might have got in, so everything is ongoing at the minute.”

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17858270.stephen-robinson-hopes-motherwell-clean-bill-health-derby/

 

With a couple of decent signings 3rd place is up for grab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

With a couple of decent signings 3rd place is up for grab.

:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Well Well said:

:blink:

I wondered who would bite first. My money was on Yodo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 9:58 PM, grizzlyg said:

Hartley's career went downward after his stupid comments before the 3-3 against Rangers last season, stupid way for captain to behave and stooped to old firms level

I agree regarding the timing and the stupidity of the remark> Was keeping him as captain and not selecting him  Robinson's way of humiliating him? If so, I think that's overly harsh for a guy who was an asset last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 5:17 PM, grizzlyg said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I thought he looked ok when playing against is for Dundee but like McKenna at Aberdeen, the media over-rated him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wishielad said:

I agree regarding the timing and the stupidity of the remark> Was keeping him as captain and not selecting him  Robinson's way of humiliating him? If so, I think that's overly harsh for a guy who was an asset last season.

I'm sure he played a good number of games between then and December when he picked up an injury. Could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lafferty has joined a Norwegian club. 

I thought we might be interested in Fraser Hornby from Everton but he has went to Belgium on loan. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, superward said:

I'm sure he played a good number of games between then and December when he picked up an injury. Could be wrong.

I think his comments were mis reported, it came across as him laughing at the boy with the sore nose on the day.  What he said was their post-match bleeting was funny, which it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×