2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We have the core of a good side but the fringe players haven't been of the quality we'd want. We should be motre than ok for a goalie with Carson re-signing, and perhaps Ferguson as back up, if he re-signs.

Struggling at full back. Grimshaw is the best we have although weak defensively and I'm still not sure about Carroll. Tait is not the player he was and I'd be surprised if he's offered a new deal. We're also struggling in the middle.   Gallagher is the standout but he may move on but other than him??? I'd move on Hartley and Mugabi (if possible) and given Dunne's injury record he may also be surplus to requirements.

Midfield shouldn't be too bad with Polworth and Campbell and O'Hara would be a good addition ...if we can afford him.  Struggling a wee bit on the wings.

Up front, I'm not sure that the initially impressive Watt will stay and Long will surely attract a richer club.  So another complete revamp is on the cards. I suspect we'll try to sign a traditional/physical No 9. 

So, another rebuild on the cards but hopefully a little bit more cash for Robbo to play with.

Thank god we have a manager, if he does go in the future no doubt you'll be in for the job with some of the nonsense you post. The team is 3rd not 12th,give the players a break and support them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jumbomuir said:

Thank god we have a manager, if he does go in the future no doubt you'll be in for the job with some of the nonsense you post. The team is 3rd not 12th,give the players a break and support them. 

So, in the interests of discussion, what specific points of my post do you disagree with?

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Harry Robinson signed on a short term deal.

Motherwell have added Harry Robinson to the squad on a short-term deal until the end of the 2019/20 season.

The Northern Ireland Under 21 international impressed during a training spell, scoring for the reserve side and weighing in with a number of assists in recent weeks.

Harry, son of manager Stephen, left Oldham Athletic in the January window.

He spent the first half of the campaign on loan with Northern Irish side Crusaders and will spend the remaining few months with Maurice Ross’ side.

36 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Most of it, you appear to post negative 99% of the time, listing faults you seem to find, Support your team!! 

And in three of your five posts thus far you've been unnecessarily negative and narky towards other posters listing the faults you've fault in them.

People in glass houses and all that...

59 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

With Gallagher also refusing an extension offer, I’d expect he will be sold in the summer.  

We made you Gallagher and this is how you treat us??!!

Seriously, though. He has been a cracking piece of business and a great advert on how we can boost a career. From plastic pitch slugger to manicured grass maestro (and international caps to boot). Didn't expect to seem him stay more than a season, and a few quid for selling him is a nice bonus. 

5 hours ago, Andy_P said:

And in three of your five posts thus far you've been unnecessarily negative and narky towards other posters listing the faults you've fault in them.

People in glass houses and all that...

Posters yes, players No, Support the team, honestly 3rd and grief, you couldn't write it, oops forgot youse do

9 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

Most of it, you appear to post negative 99% of the time, listing faults you seem to find, Support your team!! 

3 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

Posters yes, players No, Support the team, honestly 3rd and grief, you couldn't write it, oops forgot youse do

We are all entitled to our own opinions,its called discussion  put yours forward and we can discuss, so get the rattle back in the pram and chill out

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

I think you’ve been picking up tips from the Trump campaign team with that selective quote you posted. 

I live in a 2 Democratic Senators state. It's your Ted Cruz mob that does things like that!

13 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

I must be missing something whereabouts has this been reported??

I was so sure this was mentioned around December time when contract talks were opened with Gillespie, Grimshaw, Donnelly etc but having spent over half an hour searched back on here and the internet, I’ve came to the conclusion that I’ve done a monty python and I’m making it up as I go along - sorry for the genuine mistake 

11 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We are all entitled to our own opinions,its called discussion  put yours forward and we can discuss, so get the rattle back in the pram and chill out

I don't see it as discussion, my opinion is constant criticism, so there is my point. We are 3rd in the league and player's are still getting panned, as I said you couldn't write it, oooops you do. All player's make mistakes whether on a grand a week or 500 grand, just enjoy the positives and you'll look back and say, you know what they player's did us a good turn this season. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jumbomuir said:

I don't see it as discussion, my opinion is constant criticism, so there is my point. We are 3rd in the league and player's are still getting panned, as I said you couldn't write it, oooops you do. All player's make mistakes whether on a grand a week or 500 grand, just enjoy the positives and you'll look back and say, you know what they player's did us a good turn this season. 

You do realise the irony of your only contribution being moaning your tits off about other people moaning, yes?

On 3/9/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jumbomuir said:

I wrote, in my original post " We have the core of a good side but the fringe players haven't been of the quality we'd want." I've lifted below 2 of Robbo's very recent quotes (courtesy of Captain Oats of P & B). 

"Ultimately I've used the same players over and over again because they've been better than the other boys. Simple as that." & "I've used the same 12, 13 players over and over again because they're the boys that I've trusted."  Now whilst you might think that its stating the obvious, it does imply that he's not entirely happy with his fringe players. All managers get some transfers right and some wrong thats part and parcel of the job. We do have some very good players in the squad  eg Gillespie, Gallagher, Campbell, Polworth, Turnbull etc. but irrespctive of where we are in the league (3rd is very acceptable indeed and well above our historic average) there should always be room for improvement.  

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5402153/tony-watt-motherwell-extend-contract-silence-doubters/

WELL WISHER Tony Watt wants extended Motherwell stay as he aims to silence doubters
Roger Hannah
18 Mar 2020, 22:35Updated: 18 Mar 2020, 22:35
TONY WATT can’t tell fans when he’ll next pull on a Motherwell jersey as the coronavirus crisis bites deep into Scottish football.

But the far-travelled strike star is determined to answer his critics by wearing the Steelmen’s shirt for some time to come.

Tony Watt celebrates after scoring for MotherwellCredit: Andy Barr - The Sun Glasgow
The Scotland cap has played for 12 clubs in five countries since kicking off his career at Airdrie a decade ago.

Still only 26, he knows the cynics say he has “untapped potential” that’s still to be fulfilled.

But he reckons extending his stay at Fir Park for at least another two years will finally silence the doubters.

Watt said: “I need to be somewhere for a period of time. I tried to do it at St Johnstone last year but, for one or two reasons, it didn’t work out.

“I feel I’ve been lucky with the set-up at Motherwell, coming back to Scotland after my time in Bulgaria, with them in third place.

“I need to be at a club for two years — minimum. If I can play well enough, I need to be somewhere to make a mark rather than having this untapped potential.

“Everyone says, ‘Oh, he’s got ability but he’s not done it’.

“I need to put positive words in people’s mouths by staying in one place for a long period of time and not moving.”

Watt has scored twice in six games for Well since penning a short-term deal after his January exit from CSKA Sofia.

After time in Belgium, England and Wales, the frontman would love to put down roots in Lanarkshire.

And despite the uncertainty gripping the game right now, he’s already spoken to Stephen Robinson and the Fir Park hierarchy about extending his stay.

He added: “The manager had me in after a day and said, ‘I like you, I know what I can get out you’.

“I was in his office a week ago and he was saying those things again.

“You can see why Motherwell are where they are with the demands on the players.

“He has been so good with me and I’d like to pay him back.

“The quality is there as well and, if they do get Europe, it’s totally deserved.

“I’m out of contract soon but the club has been good and told me I’m there to the summer with a view to next year.

“You trust what they say and trust how they look after you. It’s a good club and I’ve not really worried.”

Watt and his team-mates are training alone after their home clash with Aberdeen was the first top-flight game called off by the outbreak six days ago.

They won’t return to Fir Park until Monday at the earliest but have a strict training schedule to keep them fit in case the season does resume.

Watt revealed: “It feels strange. We were preparing for the Aberdeen game when we got a text telling us to stay away until Monday.

"Things escalated and we have now been told to stay away until this Monday.

“It’s been madness — something that I never, ever expected would happen.

“We have been given a programme with options to run on treadmills, track or road. We have weight programmes online on our phones to go through everything.

“The sports scientist, Andy Boles, has been spot on with it all.

“It’s week by week for us all at the moment. We will play it by ear with the government and nothing has been confirmed in terms of a return.

“The club will decide if we’re in in ones or twos or all in together when we go back. There is no certainty and no one has an answer.

“The first day we’re back, we’ll be tested and, if they see a gap in fitness, it will leave a bad taste.

“If you go back unfit, you can’t fool anybody. They will see straight away and be unhappy.

“For your own career, you have to go back in good shape so we are all taking the advice seriously.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • David locked this topic