2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

On 5/27/2019 at 11:20 AM, Andy_P said:

It's the potential requirement for a change of formation be that as a result of personnel changes, or simply when an opponent, in game situation or match warrants it,  that left me slightly puzzled at the freezing out somewhat of Danny Johnson.

I absolutely backed the decision to give James Scott the game time but wondered if perhaps some of that time might have been useful alongside another striker,  in particular Johnson, to see if there was a potential partnership there.

I still think Johnson offers something when we play with two strikers.

That's a very good point, and it had occurred to me when watching Scott up top on his own that he may do better with someone like Johnson alongside him.

23 hours ago, Andy_P said:

It's the potential requirement for a change of formation be that as a result of personnel changes, or simply when an opponent, in game situation or match warrants it,  that left me slightly puzzled at the freezing out somewhat of Danny Johnson.

I absolutely backed the decision to give James Scott the game time but wondered if perhaps some of that time might have been useful alongside another striker,  in particular Johnson, to see if there was a potential partnership there.

I still think Johnson offers something when we play with two strikers.

On the money.

I think we saw last season (well certainly in the first half) that Robinson has a preferred system and will often persevere with it for a good while before having to make changes, it seems more likely that squad availability rather than opposition with be the catalyst.

It came as more of a surprise as the 1/4 season he had from McGhee's departure, he was not afraid to change things up massively. Often at early stages of games to have more of an impact. I'm thinking of unenforced first half substitutions which stand out because he got a lot of praise on here for it. Certainly before Christmas my perception was many subs were made from 70 minutes on, I may be incorrect and they may not have been as influential which may cloud my memories.

He now seems to favour a 4-3-2-1. Johnson is a from what I've seen a pure penalty box poacher while Scott has an engine, youthful exuberance and strength on his side. I don't know if he can be expected or is yet able to occupy place in midfield/wing with free reign to attack when a break is on. However I would have thought at some point over the past year they would have been placed together even in a bounce game when fringe players would line up and play similar to that Saturday's opposition.

Just now, supermarv said:

He can play winger aswell I’m sure.

I think he's been offered a short deal to assess whether he has recovered. Hopefully he has. He can play on the wing, as can Polworth, but neither are out and out wingers.

• Like 1

If we dont sign our non league winger today I will start to think it’s fell through. Robbo said 2 weeks ago would be confirmed  last Friday and Flow said a week ago would be very soon as due back from holiday yet still no announcement . Imo a week is not very soon ,but as no idea who it was meant to be can’t say I’m disappointed ,and sure if not happening we will just move on to someone else. Could be wrong as might just be taking longer than expected but time will tell .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wellowell said:

If we dont sign our non league winger today I will start to think it’s fell through. Robbo said 2 weeks ago would be confirmed  last Friday and Flow said a week ago would be very soon as due back from holiday yet still no announcement . Imo a week is not very soon ,but as no idea who it was meant to be can’t say I’m disappointed ,and sure if not happening we will just move on to someone else. Could be wrong as might just be taking longer than expected but time will tell .

Club can often have a deal finalised and wrapped up days before announcement aswell and just decide to keep us poor souls waiting.

18 hours ago, supermarv said:

He can play winger aswell I’m sure.

Aye, I think he has but this gives me the absolute fear, Tanner is far too slow for the wing. His pace was an issue for me even in a more central role. No harm to Tanner he has been so unlucky but I would get shot of him if he isn't match fit by Autumn time.

Generally speaking let's hope we can get a winger and a striker tied up fairly soon. Our squad looks pretty light in a lot of areas so a lot of work is going to be required from our scouting team.

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

Club can often have a deal finalised and wrapped up days before announcement aswell and just decide to keep us poor souls waiting.

A lot of players' contracts with their old clubs don't expire until the end of May. It's not unusual to wait until that happens before a deal is done.

Regardless, just like any other legal shenanigans, sometimes it takes longer than planned to finalise things.

Personally, I won't be worrying about signings, or lack of, until the end of August.

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think a lot of folk have built Tanner up to be something he's not.

He was certainly a decent player when fit, was he as good as we like to remember? I hope so but I'm not sure. 

I'm more concerned about how he will be after being out for so long. A long term injury like this can play havoc with a players state of mind and they often come back half the player they were before.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I think a lot of folk have built Tanner up to be something he's not.

Did he not have the highest number of assists in the team before he was injured?

He certainly offers more of a goal threat than Main did. I'm not sure what other people are building him up to be, but for a long time he was the only guy in the team that had a bit of football in him. If his head is in the right place, he should do just fine.

9 hours ago, wellowell said:

See? No worries. 

• David locked this topic