2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

2 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

OK Brendan Fraser in "Encino Man", very good. Next  you'll be telling us next you've never heard of a fidget spinner, Lewis Capaldi or the Avengers

I know about fidget spinners and the Avengers, but I can safely say the only Capalidi I know about is Peter.

I'm still on fleek, though.

Bye, Felicia.

Craggs rumours being alleged on here are absolute nonsense and if they don’t get nipped now then you are seriously discrediting someone’s character. He hasn’t been barred from the club and the accusations/suggestions on here are wide of the mark

Back on topic , potentially a couple of players from last season could be set to stay/return . Maybe down to the fact Robinson has stated he can’t get a few of his targets in wide areas and up top over the line recently 

• Thanks 1

With Long being promoted to the number 9 shirt, Liam Donnelly ear marked for the  holding role and talk of Frear coming back it's not the most inspiring summer. 

Add in Hylton looking a long way from fitness and Sloth being shoe horned into Turnbull's role and it could be a tough start. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

With Long being promoted to the number 9 shirt, Liam Donnelly ear marked for the  holding role and talk of Frear coming back it's not the most inspiring summer. 

Add in Hylton looking a long way from fitness and Sloth being shoe horned into Turnbull's role and it could be a tough start. 

Again we might be better waiting until the squad is complete. Frear is no more than a throw away name at this point, Donnelly may be a starter he may not, and I doubt very much that’s us done anyway. 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

It's the 1st of July. 

9 weeks before the transfer window closes (and if we are looking for loans from down south they never happen until later in the window)

Robinson said last week they are still working on bringing in new players.

But apart from that, let's start the panic!

(Can't wait to see the posts after the first League Cup game when the team is about half way through their pre-season training).

The issue with resigning someone like Frear is that it makes our recruitment look pretty flawed. If the best that we can do is a player who we were, only a few weeks ago, happy enough to see leave the club, what does that say about our squad? If he wasn’t really considered good enough before, what does he offer now? If it is a question of numbers, perhaps we should be bold and look to give a youngster the opportunity.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The African said:

The issue with resigning someone like Frear is that it makes our recruitment look pretty flawed. If the best that we can do is a player who we were, only a few weeks ago, happy enough to see leave the club, what does that say about our squad? If he wasn’t really considered good enough before, what does he offer now? If it is a question of numbers, perhaps we should be bold and look to give a youngster the opportunity.

Do we actually have a youth winger of note? 

I think we've been pretty clear that we've been trying to get things over the line and it hasn't happened for one reason or another. We're shopping in a small pool of players to begin with, and you'll remember last year we'd been working on the boy Gaffney that ended up at Salford who came in and offered daft money. 

I see your point, but we've already got a few in that could be considered a 'risk' as we've no idea how they'll cut it at this level, at least Frear is a known entity. 

11 hours ago, steelboy said:

Add in.....Sloth being shoe horned into Turnbull's role and it could be a tough start. 

I'm not sure that is the case.  I assume, without having seen him play admittedly, that he's a replacement in the "all rounder mould" for Gorrin.  Someone who can defend but is also comfortable on the ball.  

As for rebuilding its still early days and no need to panic.  We all know where our deficiences lie i.e. wingers and strikers and Robbo has said this publicly.   Without having seen him play I'm not sure Long is an out and out striker in the Number 9 mould. Scott, in my view, isn't quite ready yet and Johnson  is a penalty box player.  From Robbo's comments I suspect we'll play some variation of 4-5-1 this season which is great, but at the moment and for the next few weeks, we don't have the personnel to do it effectively.  We certainly lack in the final third and need to acquire an out and out big striker an old fashioned number 9. I think we do look reasonably solid defensively, on paper, however.  Anyone we bring in now might not be fully fit.  Some good debate on Pie & Bovril about this. So it could be a harder league cup campaign in the group stages than we would wish.  The saving grace is that the management team are well aware where we need to recruit and are actively working on it, albeit without much success so far.  As we have nowher near replaced those who have departed, numbers wise, there will be money in the war chest.     

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Do we actually have a youth winger of note? 

I think we've been pretty clear that we've been trying to get things over the line and it hasn't happened for one reason or another. We're shopping in a small pool of players to begin with, and you'll remember last year we'd been working on the boy Gaffney that ended up at Salford who came in and offered daft money. 

I see your point, but we've already got a few in that could be considered a 'risk' as we've no idea how they'll cut it at this level, at least Frear is a known entity. 

And there’s the rub. A known entity who didn’t do enough before and so what is the likelihood of him now being good enough? It is depressing to think that this is all that we have to look forward to.

2 minutes ago, stuwell said:

The guys been signed a full 4 minutes and no one's posted how shit he will be - this site's going downhill 

Just give it a few and we will be talking about him pumping the lassies behind the pie kiosks :)

• Like 2

The only thing more annoying than people posting about a signing being shit is people posting about people posting about a signing being shit when nobody posted anything.

..and then people posting about people posting about people posting about a signing being shit. 

• Haha 2

• David locked this topic