2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Well known team in the 50's and 60's currently near bottom of league 1 in England

And also well known for their mention in a long-running TV ad for the milk marketing board, to which the tagline was "Accrington Stanley... Who are they?"

I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have some cover/competition  in midfield, especially since it could be a while before we see Turnbull again (if at all). There’s going to be injuries and suspensions. Right now we have sloth, Maguire and semple as cover, so I’m wondering if management don’t see semple or Maguire as being ready yet.

Don't have any direct intel but imagine Tanner was offered reduced terms and has decided to take his chances looking for a new start elsewhere. Fair dues on both sides. Personally think his reputation rose unduly while he was injured, he was looking ok when fit but nothing special. His Well highlights reel would be short and unspectacular.

We did the right thing since he got injured on our watch, but by all accounts he may not even have been ready by Christmas, so it probably works out well for both parties for him to seek a contract elsewhere. Also, I doubt the contract we offered him was worth much.

5 minutes ago, wellowell said:

No idea but just shows no loyalty in football these days we give him an extension to September when injured and out of contract  yet when fit says cheerio , could be genuine reasons but still a kick in the goolies for us . 

I can see both sides to this one. The fan in me wanted him to stay and see if he could get back to his previous form.

However, there's not much financial security with short contracts every couple of months. I'd rather have taken the chance and offered him a full season.

7 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We did the right thing since he got injured on our watch, but by all accounts he may not even have been ready by Christmas, so it probably works out well for both parties for him to seek a contract elsewhere. Also, I doubt the contract we offered him was worth much.

I dont agree at all. Football is a business not a charity. He got injured during his contract, that means he was paid fully for a year or so while offering us fuck all! Thats loyalty enough from us Id say. We honoured his contract, he shouldve been sent off with a nice statement at the start of june. There is no loyalty in football these days, policies like this from the club are naieve in the least

8 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I dont agree at all. Football is a business not a charity. He got injured during his contract, that means he was paid fully for a year or so while offering us fuck all! Thats loyalty enough from us Id say. We honoured his contract, he shouldve been sent off with a nice statement at the start of june. There is no loyalty in football these days, policies like this from the club are naieve in the least

We took a (probably inexpensive) punt at retaining a player who could do a job for us, whilst showing that we are a club that stands by its players. You’re right it is a business, and part of our business is trying to find ways to attract and keep players we might not otherwise get, that involves some creativity and also putting out a good image of the club. It didn’t work out and we lost a couple of months wages, but was a low risk attempt at doing the right thing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Not heard much about him, but our midfield is weak so an attacking midfielder will be a boost, hopefully he can improve the team, good luck to him

Saw him a few times at Dundee. He's a Unit, 6'1 - 6'2 Im sure. Good on the ball but apparently goes hiding in tough games (from 3 Dees supporting friends who watched him a lot!). Attacking option in midfield so useful for us

Disappointing we conclude the window with  another midfielder, we do like to chase a player though. Apparently a couple of deals fell through.

Hopefully the attacking options we have continue to show improvement and this overhead kick guy adds something. 

• David locked this topic