2018/19 Game 33: Rangers (H) April 7th 12.30pm Kick Off

Yabba's Turd

Looked forward to this game. But really disappointed with the display. Thought we started well, played some nice football but still looked pretty toothless. However the defence was appalling, played worse than a bunch of schoolboys, the errors they made were so amateur.

Then listened to the manager on radio scotland and could not believe that he did not mention the defensive mistakes but put the blame on the young inexperienced players making the wrong decisions. The mistakes were all caused by our more mature players who could not get rid of the ball quickly enough and anywhere would do.

They made a very ordinary Rangers team look really good. What happens with our team when they play them?

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

They made a very ordinary Rangers team look really good. What happens with our team when they play them?

Having watched more than my fair share of these debacles I'd say first and foremeost, lack of confidence and self belief.  It was evident from 1230 today.  

11 minutes ago, BAZ said:

The mistakes were all caused by our more mature players who could not get rid of the ball quickly enough and anywhere would do.

Richard Tait gave the ball away twice in the first three minutes of the match.

Ball retention has been a big problem right through the Robinson era and it's the single most important aspect in modern football.

38 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Looked forward to this game. But really disappointed with the display. Thought we started well, played some nice football but still looked pretty toothless. However the defence was appalling, played worse than a bunch of schoolboys, the errors they made were so amateur.

Then listened to the manager on radio scotland and could not believe that he did not mention the defensive mistakes but put the blame on the young inexperienced players making the wrong decisions. The mistakes were all caused by our more mature players who could not get rid of the ball quickly enough and anywhere would do.

Think "Young " Turnball might have been at fault in the second goal.......but agree throughout my life time we have made a number of ordinary RFC/Sevco teams look very .........erm..........better than us 

Disappointing,  to say the least. 

Defensively - All 3 goals avoidable and opportunities in each of the situations even after the original mistake was made to get out. 

Attacking - After the first goal went in we really struggled to even get into decent situations. Not sure McGregor even broke sweat.

Decisions being made throughout the team were very poor today. Perhaps nerves, perhaps inexperience. 

Still think we will finish 7th though and I'm hoping the last 5 games see us try some new things too.

For as average as rangers are,you still need too defend properly against them and the 3 games we've played them this season,its been littered with individual mistakes and just rank rotten defending.we've seen a good turnaround since the ross county game but today showed,there's a lot of work needing to be done going forward.

15 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

That’s absolute bollocks to be fair

You don't think either had the opportunity to clear before Dunne passed the buck - the ball from either of them should have been beyond Turnbull to Ariyibi. 2 chances and they both fucked up. Your comment is dugshite - to be fair 

Robinson said beforehand about learning how far we'd come.  He'll have learned that we have a good way to go!  But whilst that much is true, but I suspect he won't quite have got the gauge he was hoping for because I think we are better than what we showed for the bulk of the game today and we didn't come close to showing what we can do against a side like that when at full pelt.

I know it's easy to mock those who harbour such thoughts given the utterly appalling league record but I did go into the game with a quiet confidence. I did think we had an opportunity and was quite excited at the potential within us to give them a game. But we didn't really convert our early dominance into any genuine goalscoring chances and any real hope of making it a contest was quickly destroyed by our own defensive frailties.  Okay Arfield finished things off but the players who created most dangerous players today generally wore claret and amber.

I'm inclined to think it unfortunate that our defenders seemed to have absolute nightmare and turned in some of their worst displays in ages all on the one day. Don't get me wrong even at our best there's plenty of room for improvement but credit where it's due the defence has improved markedly in recent times and has been adequate enough.  Not today though of course...

He didn't influence the outcome but the referee's performance is perhaps worthy of a word or two. To say he was inconsistent in his response to similar demeanours is being kind.

There is also the throwing of objects.  In all honesty I really like the fact that plenty opposition players and supporters view the East Stand a cesspit.  There's a whole power of good that can come from the support/venom that comes out of our stand but there's lines that cannot be crossed and one or two have crossed them today.  The most annoying thing is that it will give the shower behind the goal the feeling of holding the moral high ground over us.  Now personally I'm not going to take any lectures off a support that didn't get to see their team presented with their only European trophy because their fans were tangoing with Spanish riot police, but we can be sure that many of those who routinely have selective deafness in the commentary and press boxes of the land every Saturday won't be shy in making an example of us. 

I do think there have been some lessons to be learned over this past week though.  From working out how  to break down a really physical  St Johnstone side last weekend, to dealing with the adversity that came with fortuitous goals at the keeper injury in midweek to how not to shoot yourselves in the foot against a clinical opponent today.  I would like to think that there are a number of our team who will be the better for those experiences.

It's been a little badge of honour that Old Firm sides haven't won at Fir Park for a wee bit so for that record to go so meekly today is a bit of a disappointment but given the top six was already out of reach it had a slight air of a free hit about it, so it's a case of bank the positives of the experience and quickly put it behind us and pump Accies again in a fortnight.

• Thanks 1

Two dreadful team performances there today and unsurprisingly the team that has had more money spent on it made less mistakes.  I actually think that eleven Rangers had out today is worse than the one we beat last season in the league cup semi.  But if you encourage teams by gifting them chances, they'll take one or two. 

For me, several Motherwell players had their worst performance in a Motherwell shirt today. Unfortunate but gives us an idea of what we need going forward. 

Frankly despite the result, I'm not massively disheartened. Poor performance but not the worst of the season (I reckon vs St Mirren at home pre Christmas). I'd be more worried if I were a Rangers fan. If that's the best they can muster with all the money they've thrown at it, their scouts and coaching staff need a good slap...

The moron who threw  the  lighter should be identified and banned. He gave the media all they  needed to deflect  from the horrible  support  in the South Stand.  Is one horrible  individual throwing a lighter  any  worse than 5000 Sevco  supporters singing sectarian  songs.  I know  what  I think but I also know  which club will  be pilloried  in the media.

• Like 4

Strange game, I thought we were well in it and were for large parts the better team but a lack of composure up front and a lack of concentration at the back was our downfall, as the game went on we fell out of it.  What might have been. 

9 hours ago, sinjy said:

The moron who threw  the  lighter should be identified and banned. He gave the media all they  needed to deflect  from the horrible  support  in the South Stand.  Is one horrible  individual throwing a lighter  any  worse than 5000 Sevco  supporters singing sectarian  songs.  I know  what  I think but I also know  which club will  be pilloried  in the media.

This is true and the culprit needs to be made an example of. Sweeping it under the carpet will only give the OF ammunition against our club. We are better than this. 

12 hours ago, steelboy said:

Dunne shouldn't have passed the ball to Turnbull for the second.

Aye correct, he shouldn't have passed the ball to Turnbull...however, I'd have liked Turnbull to have protected it better, or boot it to fuck for a throw-in rather than allow the h*n to take it off him. I also felt Turnbull was very weak in his efforts for goal number 3.

Just enjoy the irony of the pure pond life and bottom feeders that follow the scum trying to claim the moral high ground when we all know that the scum have morals that would shame a crack whore. Then laugh yourself silly at the faux outrage from their mates in the media, who, to continue the metaphor, are akin to the pushers supplying said lady of negotiable virtue.

Yes, the person who threw the lighter is an idiot and, if identifiable, should face the consequences of their unacceptable actions. I do not believe that capital punishment should be brought back, just to encourage the others.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Our performance yesterday had the feeling of, 'job done for the season' about it...I'm actually considering avoiding the last 5 matches, if our players don't give a shite, then why should I bother my arse?

Not sure I agree with that. Break this weekend coming at the right time methinks.

1 hour ago, The African said:

Just enjoy the irony of the pure pond life and bottom feeders that follow the scum trying to claim the moral high ground when we all know that the scum have morals that would shame a crack whore. Then laugh yourself silly at the faux outrage from their mates in the media, who, to continue the metaphor, are akin to the pushers supplying said lady of negotiable virtue.

Yes, the person who threw the lighter is an idiot and, if identifiable, should face the consequences of their unacceptable actions. I do not believe that capital punishment should be brought back, just to encourage the others.

The culprits who threw the lighter and a perfectly good pie should be tracked down and dealt with as its just not acceptable.  However can you imagine the reaction if I went to a Police station and reported that someone threw a pie or lighter at me in a pub or concert venue?  Would the media run with that story?  Interesting also that the video clip on BBC did not show the run up to the missile incident.  Tavernier was allowed by the referee to steal a good 6/7 metres at the throw in and, as Orinoco, wrote earlier, thats what precipitated the incident, wrong though it was. Nick Walsh's part in the incident should be examined also as he saw better than most of us what had happened and I hope he records that in his report, which we will never see.

As expected the religious sectarian chanting (sung by thousands not tens or hundreds) has been deliberately suppressed by the media and no-one the Police, authorities or politicians have the balls or desire to do anything about it.   

Both incidents are not restricted to football but are indicative of the problems facing Scots Society as a whole but few will accept that.    

• Like 1

Just looked at the 3 goals that we lost in the TV highlights. All three can be attributed to rank poor defending not just individual errors.  Indeed the TV clips show an array of poor defending, not just at the goals.  As there's ben a fair bit of discussion about the goals here's my take.  

1  No one individual's fault.  The Rangers defender is allowed to advance far too far unmolested and given time and space to pick his pass.  Arfield is afforded far too much time and space and Aldred's touch is poor.

2  Gillespie should never have thrown the ball to Dunne as that put him under immediate pressure.  He in turn put Turnbull under pressure and he dithered.  Again no-one was watching Arfield.

3  Arfield and Kamara are left in acres of space.  

Individual errors, to an extent yes.  A common theme running through all three was poor off the ball awareness and marking / not working hard enough when not in possession.

A bad day at the office but not the end of the world.  Plenty of thought though for future training sessions and squad rebuilding.