2018/19 Game 33: Rangers (H) April 7th 12.30pm Kick Off

Yabba's Turd

20 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

3557754C-FBA0-4557-A3D9-6192C97152A7.jpeg.aaf2c99459085a6000868a80bb0b6465.jpeg

Genuine question, why is the guy to the right of Tavernier so animated.....Tavernier has done nothing wrong and is quite right to point out he is having stuff thrown at him

Tavernier stole around 10 yards to take the throw in...maybe thats what the angry fella is shouting about? 

2 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I don't think I've defended the throwing of anything to be fair...just trying to work out why the angry fella is so angry

To those who didn't see the incidents.  You see players steal yards at throw ins at every game.  On this occasion however, the ball went out next to the corner flag.  For the throw in Tavernier began to steal yards, and then more.  At that point the crowd, and not just in the John Hunter Stand began to get worked up as it reached the ridiculous stage.  Tavernier continuted to steal yet more yards.  By this time he may have been say 7/8 yards from where the ball went out.  From memory the referee then asked him to stop (I'm a little hazy about that).  He ignored that warning then took another 2/3 yards.  At that point we saw something getting thrown (too far away to make out what it was).  We didn't appreciate that 2 objects were thrown.  To be absolutely clear no player, including Tavernier, deserves to have missiles thrown at him.  The culprits need to be dealt with or own own up end of.   However both Tavernier and Nick Walsh need to look at their part in the incident, as their behaviour was a contributory factor. I assume thats why the fan(s) in the picture were worked up. Hope that clarifies it.        

• Like 2

He's generally a very angry chap during the games full stop... I've seen him offering a square go to a fellow fan who asked him to stop swearing so much in front of young kids. A totally different guy in his day job...

As has been mentioned, the throwing of the lighter/pie is inexcusable and the culprit should be punished. What's more annoying is the fact that at the very point the media finally start to highlight the sectarian issues the supporters of the other clubs now seem to be on a mission to steal that spotlight, and are making it very easy for the media to quietly move on from the sectarian singing. Gerrard no longer has to dodge questions about FTP and FB's and instead gets to paint The Rangers as the innocent victims.

We'll never know if The Rangers could have stepped it up yesterday if they needed to as the whole gameplan changed when we gifted them a goal, but outwith the 3 gifts they were given there was not much for Gillespie to do. Ditto McGregor mind. If Ariyibi converted the Hastie cross early on then the Motherwell mindset changes as well but neither team was creating chance after chance. The second goal was the worst for me, Tait slips (fair enough, that's bad luck) but leaves a gap that they exploit at left back, Dunne goes out to cover and we look like we'll deal with it fairly comfortably until he gives Turnbull a terrible pass and there's now a gaping hole where Dunne should have been for them to easily exploit. Avoidable on so many levels....

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

As expected the religious sectarian chanting (sung by thousands not tens or hundreds) has been deliberately suppressed by the media and no-one the Police, authorities or politicians have the balls or desire to do anything about it.   

Both incidents are not restricted to football but are indicative of the problems facing Scots Society as a whole but few will accept that.    

But as we are constantly being told it's just a small minority  - it's really strange that just a few dozen can make the stands shake like that...

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

To those who didn't see the incidents.  You see players steal yards at throw ins at every game.  On this occasion however, the ball went out next to the corner flag.  For the throw in Tavernier began to steal yards, and then more.  At that point the crowd, and not just in the John Hunter Stand began to get worked up as it reached the ridiculous stage.  Tavernier continuted to steal yet more yards.  By this time he may have been say 7/8 yards from where the ball went out.  From memory the referee then asked him to stop (I'm a little hazy about that).  He ignored that warning then took another 2/3 yards.  At that point we saw something getting thrown (too far away to make out what it was).  We didn't appreciate that 2 objects were thrown.  To be absolutley clear no player, including Tavernier, deserves to have missiles thrown at him.  The culprits need to be dealt with or own own up end of.   However both Tavernier and Nick Walsh need to look at their part in the incident, as their behaviour was a contributory factor. I assume thats why the fan(s) in the picture were worked up. Hope that clarifies it.        

So they "had it coming"?

It's one thing giving the ref and players a bit of verbals at a game - it can be part of the fun (it is supposed to be fun remember?) - but there is zero justification for throwing objects at the players, or even onto the pitch. And trying to claim a player somehow contributes to it by stealing a few yards at a throw-in is ridiculous.

If you get so upset by the pantomime villains at a Motherwell match that you need to throw things at them, maybe football isn't for you. 

• Like 3

On a positive note, it was a lighter and not a coconut (seriously what were they thinking!) :p  I'm not defending what happened in no shape or form, but you watch practically any game on the TV in Scotland and at some point, someone will lob something at a player.  This is not an isolated incident and it has to be stamped out across the board.

Years ago I was on First Aid duty at Ibrox for a game, this is before the sides were filled in.  we used to hide behind a wall until we were needed as the volume of objects that were going between the two stands were something to believe (I'm, pretty sure we won that night as well).

It is stupid and has to be stamped out of the game.  

2 minutes ago, Andy H said:

It is stupid and has to be stamped out of the game.  

The one thing you can be sure of is that if it's not stamped out quickly, the footballing authorities (or worse, the government) are going to bring in draconian punishments like hefty fines or stand closures. And the smaller clubs will be disproportionally affected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

So they "had it coming"?

It's one thing giving the ref and players a bit of verbals at a game - it can be part of the fun (it is supposed to be fun remember?) - but there is zero justification for throwing objects at the players, or even onto the pitch. And trying to claim a player somehow contributes to it by stealing a few yards at a throw-in is ridiculous.

If you get so upset by the pantomime villains at a Motherwell match that you need to throw things at them, maybe football isn't for you.

Apologies, I didn't make myself clear enough. 

I don't condone such behaviour and I'll repeat what I wrote above " To be absolutely clear no player, including Tavernier, deserves to have missiles thrown at him".   Tavernier did not deserve to be the target for missiles end of.  However, football is a volatile game and sometimes you have to use a bit of old fashioned common sense because not everyone thinks or behaves rationally or in a cool headed way.  We all know, and I presume opposition players also know,  that the south end of the John Hunter Stand is where the Bois gather and its where incidents are most likely to occur.   At such a location and in such an atmosphere you apply a bit of sense and know when to stop.  The referee should also have been attuned to what was developing, but clearly wasn't.  

By way of illustration, years ago at Tynecastle, I recall our subs warming up in the goal mouth at half time.   They weren't being in any way provocative.  The Hearts fans went mental at them.  The Police smartly ran onto the pitch and ordered the players to go back up the tunnel, which they did.  It did not matter that the subs had done nothing wrong. In short if you can avoid trouble you do. 

56 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

However both Tavernier and Nick Walsh need to look at their part in the incident, as their behaviour was a contributory factor.

Stealing yards at a throw in is not a contributing factor in any way.

The only contributing factor is the utter helmet(s) that decided to throw stuff at a player, especially after everything that has happened in UK football over the past few weeks.

• Like 1

At end of the day if a player stealing 10yds makes you that angry then probably best you don't go to fitba. Hopefully the club find the culprit and ban him. If other clubs fans want to misbehave then that is their problem but I don't expect our fans to stoop to that level.  Club really needs to make an effort to rid those causing trouble 

Sit in the POD and personally felt a bit sick when i realised tavernier had stopped due to a missile being thrown. Don't want our club tarnished with that shite whatsoever. That said, Walsh failing to pull him up for stealing yards was ridiculous, it couldn't have been more blatant.

On the football side, im surprised Robinson highlights Turnbull's part in the second goal. For me he was in no position to receive the ball, and Dunne should have played it up the line. He was facing our goal and didn't have much choice of what to do. I wouldn't have been pointing the finger at him for that. I much prefer that we are trying to play from the back, but as robbo mentioned post match you need to pick your moments. Hopefully it's a harsh lesson for the team. We still have all the teams around us to play so it shouldnt affect our final positioning anyway. On the plus side Scott looked lively when he came on, hope to see him get a bit of game time in the bottom 6.

• Like 1

Have Motherwell issued any sort of public statement condemning the idiot or idiots who have shamed the Club and promised to take action when they are identified? I would have thought such a declaration would have been almost immediate. I can find no mention of the incident anywhere on the official site.

2 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Have Motherwell issued any sort of public statement condemning the idiot or idiots who have shamed the Club and promised to take action when they are identified? I would have thought such a declaration would have been almost immediate. I can find no mention of the incident anywhere on the official site.

Slightly surprised we haven’t heard anything yet. There must be reasoning for it. 

Do we have any suspended penalties hanging over us following the Rangers playoff? 

The only way to combat this is if anything is thrown on to the pitch the match is abandoned and awarded 3-0 to the other team.

Of course no one wants something as draconian to be put in place but unfortunately I believe there is no other way to stop it.

The people doing this are walnut brained roasters and only the harshest punishments are going to make an imprint in their feeble minds.

3 hours ago, dennyc said:

It needs no words. There is a bigger picture to all this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The only way to combat this is if anything is thrown on to the pitch the match is abandoned and awarded 3-0 to the other team.

The problem with that is, of course, it wouldn't be applied with any more fairness than the current rules. So Ayr Utd would lose the game and the points if someone throw a coin on the pitch, but Rangers would get a stern warning if someone threw a bullet at Neil Lennon.

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Of course no one wants something as draconian to be put in place but unfortunately I believe there is no other way to stop it.

The people doing this are walnut brained roasters and only the harshest punishments are going to make an imprint in their feeble minds.

Easier said than done.

Would you put it past someone from our support for example to go into the Hamilton end, chuck a pie on, then Motherwell get awarded a 3-0 win? I wouldn't.  

I do agree something needs to be done. However, abandoning matches and awarding wins on the spot isn't the way imo. Strict liability for the club (warning, fine, then points deductions) and also bigger punishment for the individual is the way to go for me.

I think we are all getting our knick-knacks in a twist about very, very little in the grand scheme of things to be honest. 

From what I gather, the boy who chucked the pie was 14 years old...we've got people calling him all sorts of names all over social media, and folk calling for life bans. He's a wean, thats made a mistake, and I doubt he'll do it again.

• Like 2

Should Craig Thomson have abandoned the second leg of the play-off when a 'Motherwell fan' threw the flare on after Marvin Johnson opened the scoring?

Plenty of posters on here were sure it came from a Rangers fan but since the press and authorities blamed us that would have been a 3-0 defeat if those rules had been adopted.

Could be a good tactic when you have a must win game.