2018/19 Game 33: Rangers (H) April 7th 12.30pm Kick Off

Yabba's Turd

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I think we are all getting our knick-knacks in a twist about very, very little in the grand scheme of things to be honest. 

From what I gather, the boy who chucked the pie was 14 years old...we've got people calling him all sorts of names all over social media, and folk calling for life bans. He's a wean, thats made a mistake, and I doubt he'll do it again.

I suppose this site counts as social media, so I should be careful, but the shite that goes on the likes of twitter and Facebook, in this case attacking a 14 year old for throwing a pie, is beyond nonsense.

The lad should ‘fess up to the club and take a self imposed leave of absence until next season. Hopefully the club would accept this and let him back in on the condition of a future blemish free record.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Should Craig Thomson have abandoned the second leg of the play-off when a 'Motherwell fan' threw the flare on after Marvin Johnson opened the scoring?

Plenty of posters on here were sure it came from a Rangers fan but since the press and authorities blamed us that would have been a 3-0 defeat if those rules had been adopted.

Could be a good tactic when you have a must win game.

If that wasn't justification enough some "Well fans" in the South Stand threw missiles including seats.

15 minutes ago, The African said:

I suppose this site counts as social media, so I should be careful, but the shite that goes on the likes of twitter and Facebook, in this case attacking a 14 year old for throwing a pie, is beyond nonsense.

The lad should ‘fess up to the club and take a self imposed leave of absence until next season. Hopefully the club would accept this and let him back in on the condition of a future blemish free record.

I'd agree with that...the witch hunt mentality though is beyond a fucking joke.

As for the witch-hunt against the kid who threw a pie, its not the first time we've seen it and won't be the last. I seem to remember a game at FP a few years ago when the press highlighted sectarian abuse by Motherwell fans that amounted to a teenager with sign that used the dreaded H word that gets them so excited -something like 'The H*ns fought the Law and the Law won' - before Nicky Law went to the dark side obviously.

Again they managed to ignore the thousands within 'the minority' of the away support singing sectarian songs for 90 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ped_MFC said:

As for the witch-hunt against the kid who threw a pie, its not the first time we've seen it and won't be the last. I seem to remember a game at FP a few years ago when the press highlighted sectarian abuse by Motherwell fans that amounted to a teenager with sign that used the dreaded H word that gets them so excited -something like 'The H*ns fought the Law and the Law won' - before Nicky Law went to the dark side obviously.

Again they managed to ignore the thousands within 'the minority' of the away support singing sectarian songs for 90 minutes.

Yeah, it was "We've got the Law and he hates H*ns".

As you say, was a young boy and pretty laughable given goings on and flags on display etc in the away end.

The sign itself was only about A4 size.

The club has moved quickly to shut down the missile throwing incidents on Sunday and credit to it for doing so.  The club used its CCTV and Sky Sports footage to investigate the incidents.  Hopefully CCTV can be improved in quality although I suspect that it won't come cheap.  The culprits need to be punished, although I'm not in a position to say what that should be without knowing more facts.   Some kind of ban would seem to be in order. The bottom line is that we were keen to show the authorities that we had done all we can to address the problems, but have we?

What about the thousands of Rangers fans in the South Stand chanting sectarian abuse.  Could our CCTV and Sky footage not also be used to identify at least some of the culprits there and bans been issued and their pictures passed to the Police?  Had it been racist chanting the public exposure would have been on an entirely different scale.  Now I appreciate that it would be impossible to identify all the sectarian bigots but by starting a gradual process to weed them out a strong message would be sent out to the perpetrators, other clubs, including Rangers and Celtic, and last but not least the authorities.

I don't condone missile throwing and sectarian bigotry in football but it seems to me that our sport is being treated as a whipping boy.  These problems are far more widespread than that and Scottish society, including football, needs cleaning up.     

I think club has dealt with this very well,  they have found the culprit and banned him indefinitely ,which imo is not a life ban and as under 16 this is correct way to deal with it .I also agree with not naming them so that no chance of reprisals as again imo a ban is punishment enough and I’m sure in years to come if ban lifted at any stage  they will certainly not do it again . 

The boy is 14...an indefinite ban for throwing a lighter is extremely heavy-handed in my opinion. Ban him for the rest of the season, make him apologise to Tavernier...but to ban the child for an indefinite period is ridiculous. These young boys stand and watch as the away support comes to Fir Park and does as it pleases, with their sectarian nonsense, the wrecking of seats and general intimidation around the ground and town, while almost always nothing is done about it. 

If we can pick out a wee boy who has thrown 1 lighter, why can't we do the same when Celtic trash the South Stand?

The child has made a mistake, I'd hope his parents are livid with him, and that hes been banned off his Xbox...but part of me thinks that we are yet again bending over, to appease the Old Firm, the media and the SFA, AND we're making an example of a wean in doing so.

Just shows how things change well fan hits mcculloch with flag at play off no real outcry, two under 16 boys do something stupid public outcry some fans wetting themselves condemning the singing section. I do not condone the boys actions and believe a ban is appropriate but some of the outrage is complete nonsense. Hands up all those who never did anything stupid they regret in their teenage years.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, The African said:

I think it’s frustration on the part of other fans, in that it could cost the club money.....a 14 year old probably doesn’t get that

Throwing  a pie , isn’t going to hurt anyone,  to be fair but the club have got to act accordingly in the current climate.

Still reckon they’ve got too much spare cash if they can throw a pie away.

Just now, jim64 said:

Just shows how things change well fan hits mcculloch with flag at play off no real outcry, two under 16 boys do something stupid public outcry some fans wetting themselves condemning the singing section. I do not condone the boys actions and believe a ban is appropriate but some of the outrage is complete nonsense. Hands up all those who never did anything stupid they regret in their teenage years.

Here, here...

...we've got idiots on social media wanting him named, shamed and thrown into a pit with the Union Bears. 

20 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The boy is 14...an indefinite ban for throwing a lighter is extremely heavy-handed in my opinion. Ban him for the rest of the season, make him apologise to Tavernier...but to ban the child for an indefinite period is ridiculous.

Just to clarify "indefinite" simply means that the club has not defined the length of the ban.  Its not a life ban. It could mean anything from 1 game to 60 years.  Agree about anonymity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim64 said:

McCulloch's lack of reaction had a lot to do with that.

1 hour ago, jim64 said:

We all did stupid things in our teenage years, myself included. Consequence is how I learned my lesson though. I'd like the ban to last the rest of the season and hope that teaches him.

12 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Thank f..k they didn't have CCTV before or after the fence went up in the East Stand. There's few who frequented that area that might still be serving bans :aggressive::rolleyes:

I remember the Dart in the guys head at hibs game:blink:

26 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Thank f..k they didn't have CCTV before or after the fence went up in the East Stand. There's a few who frequented that area that might still be serving bans :aggressive::rolleyes:

Social media has a lot today with it too. There’s a clamour from all sides to jump on it, so the clubs have to be seen to act. Especially given our stance on “strict liability “is 

I think a ban for the rest of the season isn’t really much of a deterrent, but a life ban for a kid is on the harsh side. Somewhere in between probably correct.

The punishment the Hibs boy got is off the charts! He’ll lose his job if he hasn’t already and all the other consequences that will come along with that, I’m not condoning what he did and understand why they wanted to make an example of him, but it wasn't in the same ball park as the boy at Birmingham, but got the same punishment.

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Social media has a lot today with it too. There’s a clamour from all sides to jump on it, so the clubs have to be seen to act. Especially given our stance on “strict liability “is 

I think a ban for the rest of the season isn’t really much of a deterrent, but a life ban for a kid is on the harsh side. Somewhere in between probably correct.

The punishment the Hibs boy got is off the charts! He’ll lose his job if he hasn’t already and all the other consequences that will come along with that, I’m not condoning what he did and understand why they wanted to make an example of him, but it wasn't in the same ball park as the boy at Birmingham, but got the same punishment.

Yeah, my post wasn't a commentary on the current situation regarding the 'youngster', or current trends, more an attempt at levity - failed miserably :D.

Agree with your sentiments though.