2018/19 Game 33: Rangers (H) April 7th 12.30pm Kick Off

Yabba's Turd

9 hours ago, The African said:

Happy enough to start Ferguson if Gillespie is not ready.

I haven't seen much of him admittedly, but I was surprised to find out that he's taller than Carson. He looked quite short for a goalkeeper against Aberdeen, but he's obviously not that short if he's 6'1 or so.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Did not realise Motherwell had not beaten Rangers in the league for 42 games.

I assume stats like this come from the media who point blank refuse to acknowledge that they are a completely new club.

Still hate them just as much mind. Hope we scud them.

Hope we get in about this mob right from the word go on Sunday

After their win on Wednesday they will be thinking they are a great team again,  would love to put them in their place and end this rubbish league run we have been on for years against both Oldco and Newco

25 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I assume stats like this come from the media who point blank refuse to acknowledge that they are a completely new club.

Still hate them just as much mind. Hope we scud them.

Always though the new club thing was more to wind up Rangers fans. 

24 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Always though the new club thing was more to wind up Rangers fans. 

I don't think the hundreds of creditors that were stiffed when the old club entered liquidation see it that way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I don't think the hundreds of creditors that were stiffed when the old club entered liquidation see it that way.

Not really done with creditors in mind though is it. Companies go bust all the time owing creditors, I had it when I was self employed.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Not really done with creditors in mind though is it. Companies go bust all the time owing creditors, I had it when I was self employed.

That's right. And when they go bust, they go out of existence and cease trading. Hence the old Rangers no long exists.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That's right. And when they go bust, they go out of existence and cease trading. Hence the old Rangers no long exists.

Of course we all know the business technicalities. My point was more it’s constantly referenced across social media using terms like Sevco who I believe then changed the clubs name to “ the Rangers” to wind up Rangers fans. My understanding is on paper they should therefore be described as “ The Rangers Football Club” and not Sevco ? I can’t see how that’s anything other than being said as a wind up.

I find the Sevco and “ new club “ references useful to remind us of the tawdry ways that this particular institution conduct themselves. The irony that it is not in the least bit dissimilar from the way the old club which was liquidated behaved is not lost on me. If it happens to wind up the knuckle draggers and bigots who follow, follow this club then that is a bonus, though not really worthwhile as winding up such vile pond-life is scarcely difficult.

The biggest thing was that they thought they would breeze right up through the divisions without any problems, not winning the first division was bad but it was ok it was only Motherwell in the playoffs so not a problem.  the game at Ibrox was one of the best I’ve attended for sheer joy and a knockout atmosphere followed by the game at Fir Park which gave them the biggest kick in the balls - wonderful memories 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Of course we all know the business technicalities. My point was more it’s constantly referenced across social media using terms like Sevco who I believe then changed the clubs name to “ the Rangers” to wind up Rangers fans. My understanding is on paper they should therefore be described as “ The Rangers Football Club” and not Sevco ? I can’t see how that’s anything other than being said as a wind up.

At the time there was fair bit of debate about this on the media and in social media.  Almost all non Rangers/Sevco fans referred to the new club as Sevco or something similar.  Very quickly however media pundits, especially on the BBC began routinely referring to them as Rangers, a club with a continuous history.  This was quite a sea change and very noticeable at the time.  It later transpired that the BBC Trust had instructed its employees to do this. Debate was quickly quashed.   

I'm be more excited about Morelos missing out if Lafferty wasn't coming in.  In some ways I'd rather Morelos started than Lafferty.

Rangers missing Kent though is probably the biggest boon.  He is their major creative force.

Hopefully Gillespie will be fit and make it.  I was on holiday last week so I've not seen any of the highlights yet and I don't know how serious a knock it was but I'd be a bit worried about the young keeper starting because I think defensively we've still got a lot to do and we aren't that good at back when we come up against even a wee bit of quality.  In fact I think our back 4 will have to be re-invented if we want to compete for a Top 6 place next season.

With that in mind I was also thinking about Liam Grimshaw.  A player 4 months ago I'd have fired out the club but over a period of good form won me over.  Since he signed this new contract he's been pretty poor again against Hibs and St. Johnstone (didn't see Aberdeen match, see above).  I know, it's only two games but you start to think maybe this is a guy that only plays, consciously or subconsciously, when a contract is to be won....he'll be a player I'll be watching with special interest tomorrow.