2018/2019 Game 34:Hamilton (A) April 20th 3pm Kick off

Neilwell86

Today was a huge reminder of how much we owe Turnbull and Hastie this season.

It was a match full of mistake and errors but we deserved the HT lead, Accies were surprisingly passive and you'd have it thought it was them that were safe. Even then there were signs all through the match that defensively we'd blow it - despite not coming under a huge amount of pressure.

Second half we just got sloppier and sloppier while Accies came out a bit more aggressive. Given the warm weather we had to make substitutes but the guys that came on regressed us and then it was Grimshaw that made the mistake we'd threatened to make all game.

After conceding we completely lost the place and we're lucky not to lose it.

An annoying conclusion to a game where we only have ourselves to blame for not leaving Hamilton with three points.  I'd like to think had there been more at stake for us we would have sought to press home our advantage a bit more, particularly in the first half, and looked to have killed the game off.  Instead it was akin to a cat playing with a mouse but somehow letting its prey escape and come back to bite it.

Whilst I would obviously have preferred to have won, in the grand scheme it doesn't matter a huge amount. Truth be told I'd ratherhave a fixture or two at Hamilton than in Dundee (be that Dundee or Dundee Utd) so if our lapse of concentration helps that outcome materialise then at least some good might have come of it.  It actually felt like they only way they were going to score was from something unexpected.  They weren't without their chances but looked absolutely abject in front of goal until we made it so easy for them they couldn't miss.

Pre-season game 1 of 2019'20 done and dusted.

Just seen the highlights.

Wow Grimmy :-( 

Match reports said short passback. That is being kind. He passed straight to the Accies player. 

Still as Robbo said he has been on the whole very good these past few months. 

Shame it lest St J steal a march on 7th. 

Still we win the next 4 games and that is where we will finish. 

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It was a match full of mistake and errors but we deserved the HT lead, Accies were surprisingly passive and you'd have it thought it was them that were safe. Even then there were signs all through the match that defensively we'd blow it - despite not coming under a huge amount of pressure.

Second half we just got sloppier and sloppier while Accies came out a bit more aggressive. Given the warm weather we had to make substitutes but the guys that came on regressed us and then it was Grimshaw that made the mistake we'd threatened to make all game.

After conceding we completely lost the place and we're lucky not to lose it.

A reasonable summing up.  A share of the points was the right result today.  Accies provided the commitment and work rate and we provided most of the skill on show.  Apart from the first 10 minutes or so we controlled the first half but rarely threatened the home keeper.  Some nice but ultimately sterile football without much punch up front. Had Aldred's header gone in instead of crashing off the bar then we might have taken all 3 points.  We deservedly led at half time.  

The second half was pretty much a non event with Accies dominating the game.  Maybe a mixture of Brain Rice booting Accies up the jacksie, making changes;  us thinking the game was won and going into holiday mode.   It became increasingly obvious to me that Accies would get a goal but maybe not the quite the way we gift wrapped it for them - a friendly neighbourly touch and I hope they appreciate that goodwill gesture come the end of the season.  After they scored it was full panic mode for us as we completely collapsed.  Still we held on for the draw.  

As Ya Beezer wrote above, our defence and defensive midfield looked uncomfortable all afternoon and we looked especially vulnerable down our right flank as Accies noticed from the off.  Campbell and Gorrin weren't quite their usual combative selves.  Turnbull had some nice touches in the first half but largely disappeared after the break.  Our starting wingers did nothing of note and both were rightly hauled off.  That said the much vaunted Hastie did nothing to enhance his reputation when he came on either.  Scott looks a bit raw yet but in fairness wasn't helped by the service and lack of protection he received.  I'm surprised he still had a shirt on his back after 45 minutes with the amount of jersey pulling he suffered.  

Referee was poor and made 2 game changing errors.  Firstly he should have red carded MacKinnon but simply bottled it. Secondly he made a bad call when he yellow carded Campbell for simulation after he was clearly barged off the ball. Accies took full advantage of the wrongly called foul to score. 

At the end of the game maybe Robbo and his management team benefitted as few, if any, of the out of contract players did anything to impress watching eyes or them.  

2 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Just seen the highlights.

Wow Grimmy :-( 

Match reports said short passback. That is being kind. He passed straight to the Accies player. 

Still as Robbo said he has been on the whole very good these past few months. 

Shame it lest St J steal a march on 7th. 

Still we win the next 4 games and that is where we will finish. 

Grimshaw won me over with his post new year form but he's been shite again since he signed his contract.  Tait has also been poor in recent weeks.  Looks tired and could do with being given a rest.

6 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Grimshaw won me over with his post new year form but he's been shite again since he signed his contract.  Tait has also been poor in recent weeks.  Looks tired and could do with being given a rest.

Accies were given far too much leeway down both flanks today and that was from 3pm.  As you've said switch Tait to right back and bring in a new left back.  Maybe give Adam Livingstone  some game time as long as he has a decent player in front of him. I'm not fussed about Frear's contract being renewed - he made little impact today. Ariyibi flattered to deceive. Teams have our wingers sussed now.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The sooner we let Tait go to right back and bring in a proper left footed left back the better . Im not a big fan of Grimshaw. He's only a squad player.

2 hours ago, DEWELL said:

The sooner we let Tait go to right back and bring in a proper left footed left back the better . Im not a big fan of Grimshaw. He's only a squad player.

I agree but I find it irksome that a guy can be in the best form of his club career with a contract running out and then revert to absolute shite as soon as £65,000 goes in the bank.

I'd argue absolute shite is stretching it a bit but I'm not so sure how much the new contract has had to do with it.

He had a good spell of form and a little like the team itself is having a not so good spell of form at the moment.

In some respects he's no different to many players who are a bit unknown in the Scottish top flight - and I say unknown in respect of him generally not having turned out at right-back very much before his current spell. You have a certain amount of time where you slip under the radar but it isn't very long at all before what you can and cannot do in a position is sussed by other teams (arguably like the player who's been in front of him since the end of January). He benefited from that "anonymity" but having played against most of the teams now in that role everyone is well aware of his strengths and weaknesses.

He wouldn't be my first choice in the position but brain farts like yesterday aside you know you are going to get a certain level of performance and unquestionable effort from him.

The catch 22 with him is that good player as he is to have in a squad it has always taken him a few games to get up to speed to get the best from him. In an ideal world we're going to find that elusive left-back, Tait will return to the right and he'll back dipping in and out again here and there.

33 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

A view from the Terrace were punting Lee Wallace at us on their show. I'd say no thanks.

I'm on the fence with that one. A natural left back with SPFL experience is a decent shout. On the other hand, it's Lee Wallace.

21 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He hasn't been able to defend since 2012 where and when he had no need to.

True. But defending seems to be optional for full backs in the modern game. (Now I'm going to pull my tartan rug over my knees and finish my Thermos of tomato soup).

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm on the fence with that one. A natural left back with SPFL experience is a decent shout. On the other hand, it's Lee Wallace.

Despite only being 31 he’s not kicked a ball in 18 months and you could argue chucked it when he decided to stay at Rangers in 2012 when he was at his peak.