2018/2019 Game 35:Dundee (H) April 27th 3pm Kick off

daver

Credit to the manager for subs. I thought we lost the plot a bit immediately after the sending off, but subs changed it, Main held it up better and McHugh was terrific always showing, never wasted a pass, got us a foothold back in the game.

Great entertainment.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Most enjoyable game of the season for me.

Down to 10 men and yet last minute deserved winner. Some great football if also some dodgy defending. 

Quite a bizarre game none more so than when the linesman ruled out the penalty. Need to see a replay but looked in play from the main stand. 

Turnbull is quite magnificent. A boy with a special talent. Quite probably the best young player I have seen watching Motherwell for over 40 years.

Been done to death but around 3300 home fans. It is a small miracle we are able to produce a conveyor belt of talent based on those crowds. Appreciate it is Easter still and little to play for but that is a piss poor turnout. 

I would happily pay my season ticket / admission money to see David Turnbull alone whilst we have him, because sadly it may not be for long. 

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think what has happened is that the linesman has flagged it for the ball being over the bye line.

Didn't look like it to me.

So two wrong decisions have added up to a correct one.

Surely the correct decision, in your eyes, would be a corner?

No penalty, no goal kick, corner?

The Herald's Ewing Grahame must have been watching the game in a mirror...However, the outstanding Turnbull won it in stoppage time when he crashed a left-foot shot against the crossbar but recovered to beat Sieng with a venomous right-foot drive from the rebound to hand the Dark Blues a ninth successive defeat.

A boring end of season game with nothing at stake? Not a bit of it and possibly the game of the season. As Santheman wrote "You could tell by the look on his face when we scored the 4th that he knew Turnbull had got him out of jail". I'll reserve comments on the match officials for a separate post. A cracking game and those who stayed away expecting a borefest were the losers.  7 goals, some great finishing, end to end stuff, controversial decisions, a red card and a last minute winner...what more could a fan ask for?

Overall we deserved the win agianst a spirited Dundee side which carried a bit of luck on the day.  Robbo got it 100% right by leaving out Hastie. Even when down to 10 men we played good football and pressed forward.  The nature of the game clearly fired the players up and there was no shortage of effort.  Plenty of pluses on the day: a great display by man of the moment David Turnbull; a first senior goal for James Scott; and a short but promising debut for Jamie Semple.  Some great goals - a terrfic strike by Turnbull, an absolute beauty from the impressive loanee Ethan Robson and a well taken and difficult winner from the man of the moment again.  Ariyibi also caught the eye.  Some weaknesses too though.  James Scott doesn't quite look comfortable yet in the loan striker role and he's taken a real battering two weeks in succession from the likes of Kilgallon and Kusunga but the experience will do him good and I'd like to see him play in our 3 remaining games.  I wonder how many jerseys he goes through?  A spell out on loan will toughen him up and he needs to work on his upper body strength.  We're still suspect defensively especially on the wings and we need to get the full backs right.  Tait needs to revert to the right.   Gorrin's red card has been coming for some weeks now and in hindsight should have been taken off at half time.  Far more positives than negatives though.  We're comfortably in 8th spot with a real chance of finishing in 7th and doing so with a lot of academy graduates.  David Turnbull is probably the best young prospect I've seen at Fir Park in decades and that includes Faddy and Uncle Phil.  IF he continues to develop the skys the limit for him. 

Turnbull now the leagues 4th top scorer this season with 12 goals overtaking James Forrest and now only 2 behind Eduoard who Celtic spent 9 million on,  I could see Turnbull overtaking him in these last 3 games.   Quite remarkable return of goals for a 19 year old we put in the team in October and hasn't looked back.

Kevin Clancy yesterday had an exceptionally poor game from start to finish and could easily have affected the outcome. Very relieved that he didn't.   In the first half he could easily have yellow carded Kusinga and MacGowan for persistent jersey pulling on Scott, but only once awarded a foul.  Many criticise Curtis Main for preferring to wrestle rather than play football but week in week out we see big defenders resort to this, mainly without any punishment.  

In the first half Gorrin was yellow carded for a 50:50 challenge and whilst it was robust it was probably not as bad as his opponents one. In fact I thought we'd be awarded the foul.  He has been playing on a knife edge of late and picking up yellow cards so yesterday probably wasn't a surprise.  His second yellow was also debatable and whilst rash it wasn't that bad.  In terms of the 95 minutes yesterday he can consider himself unlucky given what the referee missed/ignored.  Late in the second half, Tait was cynically brought down just outside the box by Woods just as he was about to pull the trigger. Foul awarded but the  culrpit wasn't even spoken to.  A stick on straight red in my book for denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity.  

The penalty decision was ludicrous, as the ball was not over the by line.  We were astonished that Clancy, only a few yards away, consulted the linesman who was a good 40/50 yards away and unsighted, at the insistence of Dundee players and changed his decision.  

Poor refereeing and officiating from start to finish.  I get that referees are only human and make mistakes but standards are poor in Scotland and bedevilled by inconsistency... Over to the SFA.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, 1991 said:

Turnbull is outstanding however listening to media the  majority still think Lewis Ferguson is favourite to win young player of year.  

Derek Ferguson (father), Willie Miller (ex Aberdeen), Richard Gordon (Aberdeen fan)....

Lewis Ferguson is favourite? Funny that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I actually thought the referee got the penalty decisions right today.  Ariyibi went to ground then reached out and touched the ball, was definite penalty for me, and stupid from Ariyibi.

On the other hand Turnbull was pretty cute but he's basically flicked the ball off the hand of the Dundee defender.  There was no intent or deliberate hand ball on the part of the Dundee defender.

Overall the game was highly entertaining and basically a bit mental.  It's hard to judge the game because it was so open and we've made one of the worst teams in the last 20 years look like they could score at every opportunity.   Then on the other hand we've responded several times and won it when we might have sat back and defended.

Let's all just agree that Turnbull is incredible.

Oh, and Gorrin is a far superior player to McHugh technically but I've criticised McHugh for rashness and his discipline so it's only fair I do the same with Gorrin.  The guy needs to screw the head.  He had about 4 dodgy tackles in the first 8 minutes and I predicted his red card long before it happened.  I'd like Gorrin to be here next season but he needs to cut out the rash studs up challenges.

So much happened today but it's worth pointing out the magnificent save Gillespie made at 3-3 (I think!)

I couldn’t comment on our penalty but I thought Dundee’s was really harsh on us ....he’s fallen on the ball and couldn’t get his hands out of the way .....anyway added to the overall entertainment, but if we were in a precarious position , I really would have been miffed.

35 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Derek Ferguson (father), Willie Miller (ex Aberdeen), Richard Gordon (Aberdeen fan)....

Best to keep young Turnbull under the radar as much as possible

35 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

28 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Best to keep young Turnbull under the radar as much as possible

Unfortunately, professional scouts tend to study players (and game DVDs) rather than listen to our parochial media.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

In the first half Gorrin was yellow carded for a 50:50 challenge and whilst it was robust it was probably not as bad as his opponents one. In fact I thought we'd be awarded the foul.  He has been playing on a knife edge of late and picking up yellow cards so yesterday probably wasn't a surprise.  His second yellow was also debatable and whilst rash it wasn't that bad.  In terms of the 95 minutes yesterday he can consider himself unlucky given what the referee missed/ignored. 

I'm inclined to think that Rodriguez-Gorrin has had a bit of a raw deal from Scottish officials since he established himself in the side.  It reeks of paranoia I know but I am increasingly convinced he's somehow gained notoriety amongst referees and is not being afforded the same leeway that  other players in his position get. Can you imagine Scott Brown or Ryan Jack for example walking for what he did yesterday?

Unquestionably he needs to be a lot more astute in when to go in but I watched pretendy hard-man MacKinnon last Saturday boot people up and down the park for the best part of an hour before being booked yet in much the same time yesterday Gorrin was off the park for fouls that came no where near the severity or frequency of MacKinnon in the derby. And that has been the case in several games where he seems to get no leeway and gets booked very early on.

• Like 1

There was certainly no doubt in yesterday's bookings. The ref got a lot wrong, but not those. As Robinson said in his post match yesterday, he's been banging on at him all season to stay on his feet. Bookings are always going to come when you dive in like he does.

(I think he's a great player, btw, and will be a big loss if he moves on).

Just watched the highlights there thought Dundee's pen was justified. Gorrin's sending off was a joke. We must appeal that. Also the ref changing his mind after consulting a linesman half a park away when he was only 10 yards from the incident is also a joke. Diabolical refereeing again.

23 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Let's not let the fact that we won the game take away from what was an utterly shambolic decision from the referee and his linesman to not give that penalty. Absolute fucking madness.

or our utterly shambolic defence. I really hope Robinson has some new options for next season the goals we have lost to Celtic , Rangers, Accies and Dundee are an embarrassment. However the team do deserve buckets of credit for winning with 10 men. 

36 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

or our utterly shambolic defence. I really hope Robinson has some new options for next season the goals we have lost to Celtic , Rangers, Accies and Dundee are an embarrassment. However the team do deserve buckets of credit for winning with 10 men. 

We've signed a new centre back on a pre contract and the manager seems to think Maguire will be a real option next season. So it is an area that he knows needs work. He's brought in two (three if you count Plummer) left backs in two seasons. Maybe this summer we'll find one that fits the bill.

Pretty sure defence is an area we're working on...

42 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

We've signed a new centre back on a pre contract and the manager seems to think Maguire will be a real option next season. So it is an area that he knows needs work. He's brought in two (three if you count Plummer) left backs in two seasons. Maybe this summer we'll find one that fits the bill.

Pretty sure defence is an area we're working on...

Very true, but defensive work isn't all down to the 4 defenders, the midfield is involved as well.

8 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Just watched the highlights there thought Dundee's pen was justified. Gorrin's sending off was a joke. We must appeal that. Also the ref changing his mind after consulting a linesman half a park away when he was only 10 yards from the incident is also a joke. Diabolical refereeing again.

Can't appeal 2 yellows .....but totally agree didn't think it was a particularly bad/dangerous/tackle.......foul yes ....yellow no

Clancy made an absolute fool of himself,the penalty decision was mind boggling he was a few feet away the ball was clearly in and he consults the linesman  who is a mile away !!!!!!!and the persistent fouling of the young boy Scott throughout the fist half which he let go un punished 

And as usual the poor standards of referring in Scottish football will go undressed...week in and out we get shocking decisions......which are never addressed........the second penalty at Ipox and sending off....typical example 

19 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I couldn’t comment on our penalty but I thought Dundee’s was really harsh on us ....he’s fallen on the ball and couldn’t get his hands out of the way

I agree it was harsh but according to the laws of the game it was a stonewaller.  Ariyibi slipped and the Dundee attacker fell over him.  It doesn't matter whether its accidental or not.