Motherwell v St. Mirren 4th May 2019

daver

6 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I take exception to the above post only in that McHugh was for me the best player we had on the pitch. 

I had money in Turnbull for anytime goalscorer, 1st and last goalscorer so was quite happy when Frear fked up 

I should have known I would regret that. 

Disappointing to not be going to Perth next week above them in the table. 

We were all asking for youth to be given a chance and they were. As a result we lost momentum in last 15 minutes but to fair the St Mirren goal was a belter. And I almost don’t grudge them that with a decent support. 

I can understand that and I have been quite an advocate of McHugh in the past but I just found him so slow at times. Maybe it’s because i’m a big Gorrin fan and that has swayed my judgement on the day.

11 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Frear showed today when he came on why he has no future at Fir Park some of his touches were terrible and he should have scored when they broke up the park and scored 

Should have made a better decision.........either pass to one of three options in side/as previously mentioned run it into the corner/ or put his laces through it ..........can't argue the fact he went for glory,but his effort was pathetic/ pass back !!!!

puts St Johnstone back in the driving seat for 7 place

McHugh, by McHugh standards, was OK today but it's a bit of a stretch to say he was our best player.

But even though he wasn't too bad today he still gives the ball away far too often and is far too slow for this level of football.  The game was set up quite well for him today as he didn't have runners going by him and St. Mirren filling up areas rather than pressing the ball.

We are a better team with Gorrin/Hastie than we are with McHugh/Cadden. 

48 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I thought Dunn was back to his shaky self and was very lucky at times that the ref saw things in his favour, more than a couple of very rash tackles that could have ended up costing us.

Can't agree with that at all, I thought Dunne was immense at the back today.  He looked a class above anything St Mirren had to offer, both on ability and sheer physical presence. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David said:

Can't agree with that at all, I thought Dunne was immense at the back today.  He looked a class above anything St Mirren had to offer, both on ability and sheer physical presence. 

Physical presence yes, he had at least two hacks that he was lucky to get away with after getting caught out in the first half.

16 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

McHugh, by McHugh standards, was OK today but it's a bit of a stretch to say he was our best player.

But even though he wasn't too bad today he still gives the ball away far too often and is far too slow for this level of football.  The game was set up quite well for him today as he didn't have runners going by him and St. Mirren filling up areas rather than pressing the ball.

We are a better team with Gorrin/Hastie than we are with McHugh/Cadden. 

Yep

35 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Physical presence yes, he had at least two hacks that he was lucky to get away with after getting caught out in the first half.

Never seen him getting caught out, but I did see him show some pace to to come from virtually a standing position to not only catch the St Mirren player, but ease him off the ball and come away with it.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Never seen him getting caught out, but I did see him show some pace to to come from virtually a standing position to not only catch the St Mirren player, but ease him off the ball and come away with it.

Ease him off the ball lol...It was a sweet shoulder barge.

57 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

But even though he wasn't too bad today he still gives the ball away far too often and is far too slow for this level of football. 

Yes he was definitely a bit slow and got caught on the ball a few times but he didn't have a bad game.  A draw was just about right.  Our defence looked shaky all day and it was no surprise when they deservedly equalised.  Again we looked vulnerable on the wings. Neither side deserved to win nor lose.  Our biggest problem was that nothing stuck up front, where we looked toothless, although we did create quite a few chances.  I thought that Main or Sammon might have replaced Scott for that reason round about the 70th minute mark.  The substitutions did seem a bit odd and certainly didn't help, our cause.  Another valuable lesson for James Scott, who showed some neat touches but was up against another big tough centre back who conned the referee.  A summer in the gym beckons for young James and maybe a six month loan spell.

Saint's Mullen was extremely annoying with his constant diving and he was lucky not to pick up at least one card.  The referee lost control near the end much to the relief of MacKenzie who was only yellow carded.

Does anyone know why we didn't have a substitute goalie on the bench?  

At the end of the day a decent late season workout, although it wasn't exactly scintillating stuff.     

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes he was definitely a bit slow and got caught on the ball a few times but he didn't have a bad game.  A draw was just about right.  Our defence looked shaky all day and it was no surprise when they deservedly equalised.  Again we looked vulnerable on the wings. Neither side deserved to win nor lose.  Our biggest problem was that nothing stuck up front, where we looked toothless, although we did create quite a few chances.  I thought that Main or Sammon might have replaced Scott for that reason round about the 70th minute mark.  The substitutions did seem a bit odd and certainly didn't help, our cause.  Another valuable lesson for James Scott, who showed some neat touches but was up against another big tough centre back who conned the referee.  A summer in the gym beckons for young James and maybe a six month loan spell.

Saint's Mullen was extremely annoying with his constant diving and he was lucky not to pick up at least one card.  The referee lost control near the end much to the relief of MacKenzie who was only yellow carded.

Does anyone know why we didn't have a substitute goalie on the bench?  

At the end of the day a decent late season workout, although it wasn't exactly scintillating stuff.     

I would still send Scott out on loan the start of next season, he shows promise but he’s not quite ready yet.

• Like 1

Frustating day and draw probably fair and well done to buddies for big support. I have never been fan of frear and today just summed up why. That chance in injury time farcical. Why he has been offered new deal I will never know and why was Turnbull taken off?...Was only 1-0 And win not secured

12 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would still send Scott out on loan the start of next season, he shows promise but he’s not quite ready yet.

Maybe so, but his header down for the goal was one of the best pieces of forward play you will see from a lone striker.  Many would have tried to turn the ball goal wards.  

Slightly surprised at the generosity being afforded to St Mirren. I thought they offered next to nothing and were very fortunate to get away with a point.

It's one of the mysteries of the season that they have managed to escape from Fir Park with 4 points from about three shots on target.

They made no attempt to win the game yesterday and only after we scored did some genuine urgency come into their play.

Not to say they haven't got their tactics spot on and achieved what they wanted to achieve of course.

If the chance that was blocked on the line goes in it might well have been a different game but for the most part it was a bit of a struggle. In the context of building for next season, maybe no bad thing for us in terms of working out a way to grind out a result in such games. It looked like we'd eventually done that, without panicking unduly and resorting to aimless punts, until unfortunately we messed it up at the death.

Like many I found the withdrawal of Turnbull a bit odd and as has been pointed out as we went into those final few minutes it was even more curious to have several players out of position that could have been played in their natural positions.

But that in itself doesn't cost us the win. I like Frear and think he does offer something but he blew that opportunity to kill it yesterday big time and we paid the price moments later.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Slightly surprised at the generosity being afforded to St Mirren. I thought they offered next to nothing and were very fortunate to get away with a point.

It's one of the mysteries of the season that they have managed to escape from Fir Park with 4 points from about three shots on target.

They made no attempt to win the game yesterday and only after we scored did some genuine urgency come into their play.

Not to say they haven't got their tactics spot on and achieved what they wanted to achieve of course.

If the chance that was blocked on the line goes in it might well have been a different game but for the most part it was a bit of a struggle. In the context of building for next season, maybe no bad thing for us in terms of working out a way to grind out a result in such games. It looked like we'd eventually done that, without panicking unduly and resorting to aimless punts, until unfortunately we messed it up at the death.

Like many I found the withdrawal of Turnbull a bit odd and as has been pointed out as we went into those final few minutes it was even more curious to have several players out of position that could have been played in their natural positions.

But that in itself doesn't cost us the win. I like Frear and think he does offer something but he blew that opportunity to kill it yesterday big time and we paid the price moments later.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

What baffles me is that Accies were odds on to get a result at Dundee so they needed a win yesterday. They showed absolutely no ambition for the majority of the game.

No point dwelling too long on what might ave been. We now have two games and, if we win them both we scoop an extra £60k. No excuse in not taking it seriously and not having a real go., especially next week, because if we lose at Perth then we are out of the running for this particular prize.

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Really bad goal for us to concede.

Again shocking defending.  As the game entered its closing stages we began to defend deeper and deeper and paid the inevitable price.  No-one was marking Magennis who had plenty of space inside our box.  A last ditch but unsuccessful tackle shouldn't mask poor organisation. 

St Mirren were surprisingly unambitious yesterday as others have mentioned but their defence was overall more solid than ours on the day; not great but not error prone.  I was also puzzled as to why Ariyibi was taken off.  He didn't have a great game overall but maybe halfway into the second half he really came onto a game and annoyed the Saints defence to such an extent that they decided collectively that enough was enough began to take turns to hack him down.   Was he injured or knackered?