The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

On 5/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Just seen news of a defender going from Bristol City to Bournemouth for £13 fkin million.

I am sure he is a good player as an under 21 England international.

But I mean is he as good as Turnbull May turn out to be. 

15 goals from midfield as a 19 yr old having not played all season is outrageous. 

Same goals as a striker for Celtic in Edouard who reputedly cost £8m or thereabouts. 

Time we stood up and said feck off to low ball numbers. 

We have the best young player in Scotland. Possibly beyond that. Lets play hardball and blow our transfer record out the water. 

We seriously need to stop comparing our game to the game down south. It's hardly even the same fucking sport in all honesty. The financial situation there is a different ballgame entirely from anything we're doing, so an English under 21 international going for £13 million has zero bearing on what we could get for Turnbull.

Our game is as comparable to the English game as the Welsh Premier League, or the Danish Superliga, or the Norwegian Eliteserien is. Ie; not in the slightest.

The harsh truth is that Turnbull is worth what the market dictates at any given time. This summer we may get a few bids of £2 million for example, while next season it could be more if he does well, or less if his form dips or he's injured. It doesn't matter what we "slap on him," it matters what clubs are willing to pay. 

If the best bid we get is less than we'd like then we're left with the option of negotiating a few bolt-ons such as sell-on clauses and suchlike, or we can refuse the offer, hope the player isn't pissed off that he's been denied a move, and then hope we get offered more the next time around.

2 hours ago, MrBeee said:

Total ridiculous if you ask me clearly on a crest of a wave just had an amazing season but not even in the squad.Hope it's not a sign of see still things haven't changed.

McTominay might play for Man Utd but he has been honking all season sorry but nah not having it.

McTominay is a very good player, playing at a huge Club. Turnbull should certainly have made the squad though, his goalscoring statistics alone should have seen to that. 

For me, this squad is really disappointing though. Four goalkeepers in the squad for no conceivable reason, and the likes of Oli Burke and Mark McNulty in the squad over a guy in McBurnie who has scored 20-odd goals at a decent level left out. I also get that Clarke is an ex-Killie manager and knows those players inside out but if he believes that Stephen O'Donnell is good enough, then that has me worried.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

McTominay is a very good player, playing at a huge Club. Turnbull should certainly have made the squad though, his goalscoring statistics alone should have seen to that. 

For me, this squad is really disappointing though. Four goalkeepers in the squad for no conceivable reason, and the likes of Oli Burke and Mark McNulty in the squad over a guy in McBurnie who has scored 20-odd goals at a decent level left out. I also get that Clarke is an ex-Killie manager and knows those players inside out but if he believes that Stephen O'Donnell is good enough, then that has me worried.

McBurnie's injured and the four keepers is in order to assess them all moving forward, probably all won't go to Belgium.  

Eta. O'donnell and Palmer are the best RB's to choose from so all in all you haven't made one valid point there outside the first couple of sentences- should have stopped there. 

8 hours ago, Londonwell said:

McBurnie's injured and the four keepers is in order to assess them all moving forward, probably all won't go to Belgium.  

Eta. O'donnell and Palmer are the best RB's to choose from so all in all you haven't made one valid point there outside the first couple of sentences- should have stopped there. 

What happened to Callum Paterson?

Played rb for hearts after they had administration trouble and got 10+ goals from that position. 

4 minutes ago, beastfromtheeast(stand) said:

Played rb for hearts after they had administration trouble and got 10+ goals from that position. 

Played in the Premiership last season with Cardiff. He was moved to midfield and then to striker and didn't look too bad any time I saw him.

5 hours ago, beastfromtheeast(stand) said:

After refusing to play on the Kazakhstan plastic, he started upfront on the San Marino grass and did his ankle. Out for the season. 

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

After refusing to play on the Kazakhstan plastic, he started upfront on the San Marino grass and did his ankle. Out for the season. 

Maybe he had an ankle problem felt the Astro was too much of a risk and then bang in a match like any other which you can still get injured in, he does his ankle.

17 hours ago, Londonwell said:

OK didn't realise that about McBurnie...however, I still don't see the need to take 4 goalkeepers 'to assess' them, surely the coaching staff know who's shiter than the others?

As for O'Donnell, he is no better than Tait with even less pace, and I'd never dream of suggesting he is as good as we have. For what its worth, I'd be playing Ryan Jack in that position

20 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

^^^ of course he would have.

Clarke is a prick

Would have been such am amazing end of the season for him getting in the squad.I don't get it any other nation be having there young talent right in the squad.

Even the say to the up and coming young ones like Turnbull and co to come along train with the main squad get a feel for things it's so backward  here never ever changes.

• Like 1

OK didn't realise that about McBurnie...however, I still don't see the need to take 4 goalkeepers 'to assess' them, surely the coaching staff know who's shiter than the others?

As for O'Donnell, he is no better than Tait with even less pace, and I'd never dream of suggesting he is as good as we have. For what its worth, I'd be playing Ryan Jack in that position

Why would you have a problem with the 4 keepers though? It makes not a jot of difference to anything how many keepers there are. If we had top level strikers missing out all over the shop then I could understand but we don’t. Screams of someone who is looking to be pissed off.

And no you’re right on this one; I mean playing a midfielder at fullback worked so well against the Kazhak’s, how could Clarke have been so foolish? Also O’Donnell has been better than Tait for the last 2 seasons, anyone who didn’t have glasses ridiculously tinted in claret and amber knows that. Get behind the team and stop talking pish. 

Turnbull should have been in the squad but I’m actually glad that he gets the summer to rest. Campbell was burnt out for half the season last year after playing through the summer. 

You seem absolutely raging :lol:

O'Donnell isn't and hasn't been better than Tait...in my opinion obviously. I have a problem with 4 keepers because its just daft.

Jack has played at right-back before and done it very well...hes a far better player than O'Donnell, though Palmer I haven't seen much of

I'm pissed off about Turnbull not being in it, a totally ridiculous omission. McNulty and Burke are two that off the top of my head that deserved to be left out

19 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

"...O'Donnell isn't and hasn't been better than Tait...in my opinion obviously...."

".... Jack has played at right-back before and done it very well...hes a far better player than O'Donnell..." 

"...McNulty and Burke are two that off the top of my head that deserved to be left out... "

Diagree on the first two points

Agree on your third 

Im not seething that Turnbull hasn't made the squad, but I do think it's opportunity missed (experience for the lad, chance for closer assessment for the Mgt team) especially when Clarke was in a great position to recognise Turnbull over other inclusions. 

O'Donnell isn't and hasn't been better than Tait...in my opinion obviously. I have a problem with 4 keepers because its just daft.

Jack has played at right-back before and done it very well...hes a far better player than O'Donnell, though Palmer I haven't seen much of

I'm pissed off about Turnbull not being in it, a totally ridiculous omission. McNulty and Burke are two that off the top of my head that deserved to be left out

Honestly if you think Tait deserves to be in in front of O'Donnell then there's no hope for you.

:rolleyes:

You aren't doing terribly well. 

I'd love for Turnbull to have been included but at the minute, given his position as an creative attacking centre mid, we have more experienced options for the Scotland squad who are all in the main pretty good.

Happy for him to impress at national u21 level for a while yet.

• David locked this topic