The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I am not bothered about Turnbull being left out this time but if he starts the new season as he ended this one (wherever he is) I would be surprised if he wasn’t drafted in for future squads.

As another poster conveyed, if he sported blue and white stripes then he'd be a shoe in. That for me doesn't make his decision correct or justifiable. Having "full cap international" on his growing CV just helps with the marketing and value.

I don't really get Clarke's logic here, pick players he has an intimate knowledge of at the expense of players he doesn't. I know it's not friendlies but Cyprus should be procession and Belgium will be a hiding.

I can kind of understand the Killie inclusions, Greg Taylor will be back up to Robertson, O'Donnell will play right back, Brophy we don't really much option on, severe lack of strikers. Stuart Findlay I can't comment on however they all know exactly how he wants to play which will work in our favour. it's the other inclusions I don't get, Mikey Devlin, Lewis Morgan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

I can kind of understand the Killie inclusions, Greg Taylor will be back up to Tierney, O'Donnell will play right back, Brophy we don't really much option on, severe lack of strikers. Stuart Findlay I can't comment on however they all know exactly how he wants to play which will work in our favour. it's the other inclusions I don't get, Mikey Devlin, Lewis Morgan. 

And Burke and 4 keepers and Shinnie 

Burke is one of them I think Clarke will get the most out of, he is quite versatile and offers pace and power which we don't have a great deal off. Shinnie is way down the pecking order in that position and doesn't offer anything different from what we have. surely Turnbull, or Ferguson to be unbiased would have benefited from even the experience if they didn't get the run out. 

I've not got a real problem with the Killie guys being in the squad, Killie have had a good season, (though not quite as good as when we finished 2nd, and I don't remember the clamour for Motherwell players in the squad, or indeed our manager to be given the managers job at the SFA)...

...Taylor is a player I admire, and at the end of the day is only back-up for Robertson, O'Donnell isn't a player I admire but I understand that choices are limited in his position, Brophy is a bit of a curveball but I'm happy enough to see if he can step up, and the same can be said for Findlay....but on an individual basis none of them have performed to the standards that Turnbull has...it just seems really weird to leave the guy out when his own individual form is so good.

2 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I've not got a real problem with the Killie guys being in the squad, Killie have had a good season, (though not quite as good as when we finished 2nd, and I don't remember the clamour for Motherwell players in the squad, or indeed our manager to be given the managers job at the SFA)...

...Taylor is a player I admire, and at the end of the day is only back-up for Robertson, O'Donnell isn't a player I admire but I understand that choices are limited in his position, Brophy is a bit of a curveball but I'm happy enough to see if he can step up, and the same can be said for Findlay....but on an individual basis none of them have performed to the standards that Turnbull has...it just seems really weird to leave the guy out when his own individual form is so good.

But you're comparing apples to oranges there. Midfield is our strongest area, if any of the Killie players mentioned played centre mid they wouldn't be near the team, however they all play in areas that we're particularly weak. Unfortunately for Turnbull we have some excellent and established midfielder's but his time will come, I would think.  

10 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Burke is one of them I think Clarke will get the most out of, he is quite versatile and offers pace and power which we don't have a great deal off. Shinnie is way down the pecking order in that position and doesn't offer anything different from what we have. surely Turnbull, or Ferguson to be unbiased would have benefited from even the experience if they didn't get the run out. 

I take it you mean brophy?.....Chris Burke about 34 now

And so it begins with Celtic not learning anything from the McGinn embarrassment last summer, when they failed to pay £3m for a boy that is now worth £25m. We need to get Turnbull down to England so we can max out on sell-on clauses. It’s also the best place for his development. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Stronger league now than it was when you finished 2nd IMO but was some achievement.

SOD and Findlay were in last squad, Taylor should have been in last squad given he was U21 left back, played over 120 games at left back for us at 21 and we had fucking Shinnie at left back! He's an obvious choice.

Brophy is due to lack of options and I'm a bit surprised as he's missed a lot of the season injured but he's no worse an option than McNulty.

Turnbull should 100% be in the squad, especially ahead of shite like Burke.

21 hours ago, Londonwell said:

But you're comparing apples to oranges there. Midfield is our strongest area, if any of the Killie players mentioned played centre mid they wouldn't be near the team, however they all play in areas that we're particularly weak. Unfortunately for Turnbull we have some excellent and established midfielder's but his time will come, I would think.  

I'm not suggesting that Turnbull should be in ahead of any of these guys...but there are certainly guys he should be ahead of

• David locked this topic