The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I think if we do sell Turnbull to Celtic then i'll be done with the fitba regardless of the fee. This is not a knee jerk reaction but more of a sick of the same old pish for the last 50 years.  it'll be like the SFA giving McLeish  the Scotland job. Nothing's changed and never will . It's not the selling or the fee that matters most to me but who we  sell him to . If Hastie had left for any other club bar Rangers or Celtic our support would have just shrugged their shoulders and went " that's pish"  but going to one of those two is not on for all the reasons we know too well.  I am not going to spend  my time and money watching Turnbull rattling 12  goals a season  into us.  We stood up to Rangers when they fucked us over in the Play off ticket allocation  , we've papped their scummy fans out the Main Stand, now its time to stand up to Celtic and their money. Let's see if a fan based club can do what's best for the fans again.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ankles said:

Let's see if a fan based club can do what's best for the fans again.

If Celtic came in with the best offer and he wanted to play there, there'd be absolutely zilch the fans could do about it. I can't see Celtic winning this particular race though, tbh.

14 minutes ago, ankles said:

I think if we do sell Turnbull to Celtic then i'll be done with the fitba regardless of the fee. This is not a knee jerk reaction but more of a sick of the same old pish for the last 50 years.  it'll be like the SFA giving McLeish  the Scotland job. Nothing's changed and never will . It's not the selling or the fee that matters most to me but who we  sell him to . If Hastie had left for any other club bar Rangers or Celtic our support would have just shrugged their shoulders and went " that's pish"  but going to one of those two is not on for all the reasons we know too well.  I am not going to spend  my time and money watching Turnbull rattling 12  goals a season  into us.  We stood up to Rangers when they fucked us over in the Play off ticket allocation  , we've papped their scummy fans out the Main Stand, now its time to stand up to Celtic and their money. Let's see if a fan based club can do what's best for the fans again.

Yer getting yer knickers in a twist over something that is very unlikely to happen - go lie down 

Sky sports news flashing up that Alan Burrows has said we won't accept less than £1.75M for Turnbull. Don't think he would have said that as he knows the value of Turnbull to the club and we should be looking at far more than that for him. Think there may be a miss quote somewhere in there.

He didn't say that. His quote (according to The Scotsman) was:

"Getting some questions re David Turnbull, given today’s newspaper report. I try not to reply to speculation (for obvious reasons), but to reiterate what I’ve already gone on public record as saying. We will only consider offers of significantly more than our record fee received."

56 minutes ago, numpty said:

If Celtic came in with the best offer and he wanted to play there, there'd be absolutely zilch the fans could do about it. I can't see Celtic winning this particular race though, tbh.

I'm not sure Celtic will win this particular battle either.

Any deal with a sell on % from down south (potentially) adds exponentially more value than what Celtic could put together.

Look at the current Ryan Fraser situation. Looking at £6m for sell-on alone.

Think Turnbull's ambitions may lead him elsewhere also..

39 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Celtic can’t afford Turnbull, he will head down south. 

They can definitely afford him - they are rolling in cash, relatively speaking.

I doubt they will want to pay our asking price, though.

Why would he want to wrap himself up in all that Green and blue baggage when he will have other probably better options, only if he wanted to stay at home should he consider it and if he does then fir park for a year sounds good.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

They won’t, they never do. He’s out of their price range for a Scottish player.

Even if we were offered £3 million - if Turnbull is happy to be at Fir Park next season, I'd be tempted to sit tight. Our finances are sound, and I can't see his value decreasing by next summer.

(And by then, Semple might be ready to step in).

28 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Even if we were offered £3 million - if Turnbull is happy to be at Fir Park next season, I'd be tempted to sit tight. Our finances are sound, and I can't see his value decreasing by next summer.

Yep by then another season under his belt,added more to his game,few caps maybe only will keep adding to his value and worth.If he has a season like he did this season well who knows what his worth could be.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The down side to that is he will only have a year on his contract at that point which puts the value down.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

The down side to that is he will only have a year on his contract at that point which puts the value down.

Unless we extend his contract (like we did with Kipré) - with the appropriate buy-out clauses. 

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

They can't afford him, they need to save all their cash in case there are any compensation claims to settle if they get linked with the ongoing Celtic boys club abuse scandal :ph34r:

• David locked this topic