The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

3 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Don't stoop to follow follow levels please.

The story has been all over the media. You are just playing into Celtic's hands by repeating their pish about not bringing this up.  No one gave the BBC the same treatment over Saville. 

They managed to hush it up for 30 years but they will be paying for that soon. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The story has been all over the media. You are just playing into Celtic's hands by repeating their pish about not bringing this up.  No one gave the BBC the same treatment over Saville. 

They managed to hush it up for 30 years but they will be paying for that soon. 

Cretin.

The matter will be dealt with by the appropriate people. Abuse victims and their families don't need the likes of you using their experiences as one-upmanship  on a football forum. It's hardly the correct place to 'discuss' these things on a thread about football transfers is it? Have a word with yourself. 

In what way is 'Steelboy' using it as 'oneupmanship'?

These rumours have been kicking about since I was a wean, and the deflection from Celtic has lead to years and years more misery for the poor men that were assaulted. If Celtic had acted adequately at the time, or even in any of the years since then, this wouldn't be happening right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

In what way is 'Steelboy' using it as 'oneupmanship'?

These rumours have been kicking about since I was a wean, and the deflection from Celtic has lead to years and years more misery for the poor men that were assaulted. If Celtic had acted adequately at the time, or even in any of the years since then, this wouldn't be happening right now.

What does any of this have to do with David Turnbull? Look at the thread title. 

Spiderpig said that Celtic couldn't afford Turnbull, because they may have another route for their cash this Summer, hinting that they would be paying out a claim or two to abuse victims...Neilwell86 more or less said we shouldn't be mentioning this stuff, for reasons unknown...Steelboy reckons that it should be discussed, as its a big current affairs story...you had a go at Steelboy, claiming he was a cretin and that he was partaking in 'oneupmanship'...I asked at what point, you came to that conclusion.

Threads regularly go off at a tangent

This probably isn't the thread for it but the notion that discussing this is wrong because of Rangers fans point scoring has meant that the victims had to wait an extra 20 years for justice and are still waiting on an apology and compensation. 

Celtic promoted that line through the media to protect their reputation and it's sad to see after so much information has become available that people are still mindlessly parroting it. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Don't stoop to follow follow levels please.

Not stooping to anybody's levels, merely pointing out a relevant public domain fact regarding a club that may be a potential buyer for our prize asset, no further discussion in it was required or expected

11 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Steelboy has it in a nutshell...they've somehow managed to convince everyone that you're a mad bigot if you even mention it

It's nothing to do with an idea of protecting Celtic, it's about respecting those who have been abused. As i've said there may be a place for it, this isn't it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

It's nothing to do with an idea of protecting Celtic, it's about respecting those who have been abused. As i've said there may be a place for it, this isn't it. 

the biggest disrespect, is not discussing it in my opinion. As I said, threads go off at tangents from time-to-time

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

the biggest disrespect, is not discussing it in my opinion. As I said, threads go off at tangents from time-to-time

Depends if the discussion is actually about supporting the victims, or just taking pot shots at Celtic.

Most of the social media posts are just people points scoring against Celtic rather than any real concern for the victims.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

In what way does discussing whether or not Celtic could afford Turnbull after paying out on compo claims show any sort of respect to victims?

The classic "lose an argument and the deflect by saying its not the right discussion for the thread" line.

Its the off season and there's fuck all to talk about. If you guys wanna discuss off topic stuff then wire in. 

• Like 1

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-step-up-david-turnbull-16265233

Celtic step-up David Turnbull bid as Motherwell face losing £3million star

Neil Lennon faces serious competition from south of the border for the £3million rated star with Southampton and Burnley among those understood to be interested.

By Keith Jackson
00:01, 6 JUN 2019UPDATED07:54, 6 JUN 2019

Celtic have stepped up their move for Motherwell prodigy David Turnbull by opening direct talks with the Fir Park club.

Record Sport understands Scotland’s champions have lodged an official inquiry with Fir Park chief executive Alan Burrows and asked to be kept informed of any developments surrounding the 19-year-old’s future as a host of English clubs prepare to enter the race. 

But with Neil Lennon keen to make early moves for Sheffield United full-back George Baldock and Bournemouth striker Lys Mousset, Celtic could attempt to strike a quick deal for Turnbull.

It’s believed the Hoops and nine other potential bidders have contacted Burrows who has set Well’s asking price for Turnbull at no less than £3m.

Premier League rivals Southampton and Burnley are thought to be among the English clubs circling Scotland’s Young Player of the Year with Brighton and Bristol City also interested.

But Celtic are the only Scottish club to have made contact with Burrows resigned to cashing in on the club’s crown jewel.

A source said: “There’s so much interest it’s hard to imagine Motherwell are going to be able to hold on to him. A total of nine or 10 clubs have now been told officially what price the club is willing to accept – and, yes, Celtic are one.

“Their interest has been formally registered but, at this stage, it has gone no further than that with Celtic or any of the others.”

Baldock is believed to be keen on a move to Glasgow but Blades boss Chris Wilder wants the £3m-rated 26-year-old to stay put.

And it’s also understood Bournemouth want around £10m for Mousset with reports claiming the club booted out a potential swap deal involving Olivier Ntcham who is a target for both Marseille and Porto.

Last night the Cherries insisted they’ve had no contact from Celtic or any other side over Mousset.

Meanwhile, the Hoops distanced themselves from reports linking them with a move for Phil Jagielka.

If the general price is set at £3,000,000 which I think is a reasonable price to set (alongside a few bonus clauses), AND a figure that won't completely scare medium-sized clubs off down South...we should be telling Celtic that we want £4,000,000 off them as additional compensation for selling to a direct competitor.

Also, the bit where they've asked to be kept in the loop, my response to that would be 'aye, nae problem Peter, will do mate', before hanging the phone up and muttering, 'fuck you, ya cockend, you'll be getting told nothing'

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

bitter-sweet though...I'd have loved to see him playing for us until Xmas.

Looks like we'll need to wait until hes a 35year old multi-millionaire who fancies moving back up the road, before we see him in C&A again

Definitely - had similar thoughts and would have loved to watch him in C&A for a little longer, but if not's to be, then I'm happy for the bidding war to be frantic and frenzied, and that the Dhims are ruled out after the first round.

• David locked this topic