The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

15 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I don't know, but if they did, I'd be all for it and keep that prick Lawell at arms length

Record article is very much written from a Celtic perspective which is exactly what we'd expect anyway.  As you say the more clubs involved the better. 

Celtic have recently claimed that Tierney is worth 30 million Euro  (£26.6 million). So even if they thought Turnbull was half the player, that would mean an 8 figure offer is required.

Aye looks like there's next to no chance he stays, which is a pity. If Celtic or any other Scottish club want him they should have to pay a premium as previously mentioned.

Hopefully we get a decent wedge which can go towards infrastructure but for us fans it'll be a loss not seeing him do his stuff until January.   

We don't have to sell him to anyone. He seems quite content to stay and we aren't desperate for the money.

For me, the ideal scenario is that he plays another season for us as a Motherwell employee. The risk that he suddenly becomes worthless is neglibile.

I'd much rather see him in claret and amber for another campaign than sell him now and use the money to buy 2 or 3 players that will never be as good. We'll be lucky if we ever see a player of his talent again, so let's not rush to offload him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

4 million from Premiership team with add ons...........and loaned straight back to us for next season ??????

that would be the ideal scenario

I would hope any club paying 4 million for somebody has a better development plan in mind than loaning them straight back out.

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We don't have to sell him to anyone. He seems quite content to stay and we aren't desperate for the money.

For me, the ideal scenario is that he plays another season for us as a Motherwell employee. The risk that he suddenly becomes worthless is neglibile.

I'd much rather see him in claret and amber for another campaign than sell him now and use the money to buy 2 or 3 players that will never be as good. We'll be lucky if we ever see a player of his talent again, so let's not rush to offload him.

100% agree. Don't sell him unless there is a loan back clause.

17 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Hear! Hear!

1 hour ago, numpty said:

I would hope any club paying 4 million for somebody has a better development plan in mind than loaning them straight back out.

Why?  Some of the clubs that will be, and have been linked with him will see £4m as change found down the side of the couch.  

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I would love to think that would happen but history shows us when the offers start coming in the players head gets turned and they move on. Great if Turnbull is the acception but I won’t be holding my breath.

1 hour ago, numpty said:

But surely for a club like southampton, another season of first team football with us is much more beneficial to them and playing for the u23's in the reserve league? 

I’m going to guess that most clubs who can afford 3 million plus probably see their development system as better than ours. The only slight glimmer of hope for a loan back is that it looks like multiple clubs are interested, so someone might bite now to make sure they get him. I’d also guess that loaning him to us might result in less add ons.

I’m pretty sure that he’ll be gone by January at the latest, but I think selling him now contradicts our model and messaging. We’re all about “it’s better to stay here and develop instead of rotting in the reserves at a team we don’t like”, but if a good fee comes in that whole development schtick goes out the window.

23 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

But surely for a club like southampton, another season of first team football with us is much more beneficial to them and playing for the u23's in the reserve league? 

Not if it means he's being nurtured and developed by their own coaches, physios, sports scientists, psychologists, nutritionists etc., so when he's ready to step into the first team it's like he's played there all his life.

Are we downplaying how effective he is at the moment? Would a club like Southampton or Burnley, see him as a player that could have (even a limited amount of) influence and game time in their 1st team squads, this coming season? We're all assuming that hes going to end up in some teams under23 squad like Robbie Leitch or Ben Hall, but maybe not?

At the start of last season, we had all heard of him, some had seen him, a few thought he was good enough to be playing, but our coaching staff clearly though there was something missing. He got basically flung into the team when Robinson had publically slated some of the 1st teamers, and hasn't looked back, to the point that he was by far and away our best, most influential, most creative and most important player on our books. To me, he looks like he could hold his own as a starter in the English Championship quite comfortably, could he be a squad man for a season or two in the lower reaches of the league above?

1 hour ago, numpty said:

Not if it means he's being nurtured and developed by their own coaches, physios, sports scientists, psychologists, nutritionists etc., so when he's ready to step into the first team it's like he's played there all his life.

That's all well and good being nurtured by these people but if you revert back to playing u23 football infront of 100 people that will hamper your development. If he goes to the championship I reckon he is absolutely ready for the step up, Premier league is a different story though and a loan back for even 6 months to us would do him more good than what you have mentioned surely?

That said I have no idea how a team in the premiership would view him,  but the jump in quality is huge (which I have no doubt that we will make) 

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

If any club comes in with £3 million or more then he is gone. No way we can risk keeping him and him getting injured or he loses form. 

£3 million and a decent sell-on clause to an English team would be excellent business. Hopefully a number of clubs meet the requested fee, allowing Turnbull to decide what option is best for him. 

Id normally be gutted at Motherwell losing such a talent but he is so good, I just want to watch him perform at the highest level possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

£3 million and a decent sell-on clause to an English team would be excellent business. Hopefully a number of clubs meet the requested fee, allowing Turnbull to decide what option is best for him. 

Id normally be gutted at Motherwell losing such a talent but he is so good, I just want to watch him perform at the highest level possible. 

I would rather that was with us.  

I am hoping the media coverage and interest will push the fee north of £3m. He has the ability to become a mainstay of premiership clubs perhaps outside the top 6 or so. Whether he does or not who knows. But right now he has had as much coverage if not more than Robertson and McGinn at that age. Split their potential transfer fees and you would not get much change out of £30m each. 

God I would love him to stay.  The frenzy that appears to be unfolding suggests that is highly unlikely..

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Hopefully looking for more than sell on clauses.  Appearance, Promotion/Europe (depending on level), International Caps etc.

If possible we could milk Turnbull for the next 4-5 years...   

luckily we don’t normally pay transfer fees to buy players otherwise  asking prices would go up in anticipation of us  making a bundle off of Turnbull.  Hopefully it won’t affect negations with any possible signings with their agent trying to wring more money out of us :angry:

• David locked this topic