The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

The likelihood is that there would have been a gentleman’s agreement on an acceptable transfer fee when we prevented Turnbull doing a Hastie. The club have played fair by the most talented player to come through the system in decades. It’s the way we have to be if we want to continue enticing  the best young kids to sign for us. 

Regarding timing, there was absolutely no way a player of David’s ability was going to stay at Motherwell beyond this summer. He is just too good for us. So surely,  it’s better a deal is a agreed now than transfer deadline day?

From the outside, all parties appear to have conducted themselves impeccably. The challenge now is to invest the money wisely in the coming years by identifying and developing  the next Marvin, Moult, Kipre, Turnbull etc. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

True Celtic got 6.2 mil for sale of van dyke as sell on from Sthampton. They could get another massive windfall from selling on and add on frm Turnbull.

If we have a sell on that is % of profit then we would get that % from Celtic's sell on if it happened.  For example ssy...

Motherwell sell Turnbull to Celtic for £3m plus 15% sell on profit

Celtic sell to team x for say £8m plus 10% sell on we would get 15% on £5m

Team x then sells for £20m to y - Celtic get 10% on £12m and we would get 15% on that payment...

... rinse and repeat. 

I am sick of seeing our best players going to Celtic for less than their true value,

Joe McBride

Dixie Dean's

Brian mcclair

Andy Walker

Uncle Phil

Scott McDonald

Apart from Vic Davidson we've  had some right roasters from them

John Fallon', Paul Wilson, Tony shepherd, Barry John corr and Jim o fucking o Brien. and not forgetting Joe Chalmers. I am sure there will be more but that's the ones I can think of at the moment.

I don’t know. However £3m + is a fantastic amount of money and would be a huge gamble for the Board to turn down. What if he got a serious injury? What if the player himself wants to go? Ifs and buts I know, but if you are being realistic, there is no way the club could reject.

3 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m pretty sure we could have got the same or more from an English team

Surer than the folk who have been trying to drum up a buyer from down there for the past couple of months ? Maybe you should take the lead in selling James Scott , i seen £13m to Southampton with a sell on mooted further up the board 

When the Chief Executive, who is a Motherwell fan, says that the club have been working for weeks for the best offer they can get for Turnbull and this is it and some fans think there is a better offer out there, I despair. 

Do I want it to be Celtic who offered most for Turnbull? Not at all. Do I believe the club when they say it's the best deal on offer? Why would they lie? Why would Motherwell fans on the board accept a deal that wasn't the best on offer? 

If we receive £3m for a guy that has started 30 games for Motherwell, that has to be a good deal...

• Like 5

Just now, The African said:

If we can get £3 million from Celtic, surely to God we could get it from someone down south?

Maybe. If teams from down south are genuinely interested and are prepared to top Celtic's offer then they will now have contacted the club. If they haven't then that tells us a lot.

The thing that annoys me is why have we accepted the offer so soon into the transfer window? 

Even if there are no concrete offers on the table from England just now doesn't mean there won't be in the near future. Things move quickly and as players move and the deadline approaches, offers are often made out of the blue.

As Burrows himself tweeted, yes it's a risk, but I think it is one most fans would have been willing to take. The worst that could happen is we see David Turnbull in a Motherwell shirt again. 

• Like 2

• David locked this topic