The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

20 minutes ago, ML1 said:

Surer than the folk who have been trying to drum up a buyer from down there for the past couple of months ? Maybe you should take the lead in selling James Scott , i seen £13m to Southampton with a sell on mooted further up the board 

Apparently, yes, surer than them. 

3 minutes ago, MrBeee said:

Just seems rather rushed and quick tbh I dont see why we are in a rush to sell so quick that's what I don't understand.Sure we could have sat on it.

Also seems like one of those big money, once-in-a-lifetime (for us) deals that I'm sure the Well Society told us a while back is the sort of thing we'd be consulted about first. Anyway, nothing we can do about it now... I have all mentions of Rangers and Celtic muted in my social  media feeds, so it'll probably be years before I ever hear about him again.

5 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

When the Chief Executive, who is a Motherwell fan, says that the club have been working for weeks for the best offer they can get for Turnbull and this is it and some fans think there is a better offer out there, I despair. 

Do I want it to be Celtic who offered most for Turnbull? Not at all. Do I believe the club when they say it's the best deal on offer? Why would they lie? Why would Motherwell fans on the board accept a deal that wasn't the best on offer? 

If we receive £3m for a guy that has started 30 games for Motherwell, that has to be a good deal...

Spot on. Any Motherwell fan who believes the Chief Executive is not doing his best for the club needs to explain to me why the think that. We have always sold our best players and having supported Motherwell for 50 years I can confidently say it'll never change. We've sold Turnbull to another Scottish team who most of us detest but they are not our 'rivals' as some have claimed, yes they are in the same league but we're not competing with them at any level. I've never been comfortable seeing any Motherwell player move to the two Glasgow clubs, but although it's unlikley to have happened due to the size of the fee, it would have been worse if we'd sold him to any team who we are competing against for league positions. £3m to our club is an amazing amount that can be used on/off the park, most importantly think how some of that could be used to improve the team. Also you just need to look at the state of our stadium  to see what improvements are required and how some of the money could be spent. The money couldn't be turned down without a guarantee that in keeping Turnbull for another season he'd be injury free or continue to perform in the same manner as he's done in the past 14 months since his debut. 

• Like 2

My response to those who say that the club could have waited is simple: losing Turnbull now allows us time to plan for life without him. Lose him two days before the window closes  suddenly planning becomes much more difficult.

Club are often praised for getting their business done early so we can prepare for next season. That works both ways.. 

• Like 1

We’ll certainly seems to be conflicting views on this one. Those who say too much risk not to accept, so take the money now  and those who say worth the risk let’s hang on. I don’t despair of anyone’s opinion as both options have pros and cons. 

£3m is a decent price for a player who could quite easily have done a "Hastie" resulting in us getting much less via a Tribunal/Development Fee. Credit to Turnbull for that.

Gutted its Celtic , but it sounds like we have been negotiating with various clubs for weeks and this is the highest offer. My worry is that Sky are quoting add ons totalling only £250k. And no mention at all of a sell on % which is even more concerning . Like us, Celtic have a strategy of buying low and selling high, just on a bigger scale. So lets hope that when they cash in we get a nice wee pay off. To me that is the issue that needs clarified as Celtic are usually resistant to such an arrangement.  If we have no sell on Agreement, I would not rate the agreed package as a good deal

How about a thought for Turnbull himself.  He’s still a young lad and being able to step up to a “bigger” club (European games, realistic chance of winning league) without totally have to uproot may appeal.  He may also think he’ll get more game time at Celtic than likes of Bournemouth.  

From a Scotland POV he’s also more likely to get involved in national team as a semi-regular player than primarily a reserve league  /odd ten minutes sub appearance in EPL. 

Not that I’m happy him going to Celtic but I’d be just as disappointed as him fading into obscurity down south.  

26 minutes ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Spot on. Any Motherwell fan who believes the Chief Executive is not doing his best for the club needs to explain to me why the think that. We have always sold our best players and having supported Motherwell for 50 years I can confidently say it'll never change. We've sold Turnbull to another Scottish team who most of us detest but they are not our 'rivals' as some have claimed, yes they are in the same league but we're not competing with them at any level. I've never been comfortable seeing any Motherwell player move to the two Glasgow clubs, but although it's unlikley to have happened due to the size of the fee, it would have been worse if we'd sold him to any team who we are competing against for league positions. £3m to our club is an amazing amount that can be used on/off the park, most importantly think how some of that could be used to improve the team. Also you just need to look at the state of our stadium  to see what improvements are required and how some of the money could be spent. The money couldn't be turned down without a guarantee that in keeping Turnbull for another season he'd be injury free or continue to perform in the same manner as he's done in the past 14 months since his debut. 

Celtic are most definitely our rivals. We may not be competing with them to win the league but if we are to have any success, be it qualifying for top 6, Europe, avoiding relegation or winning a cup then we need to be looking for wins against them the same as we would any other team in Scotland.

• Like 3

This deal worries me! Will be an undisclosed fee so we will never know the true value, as it will be paid in installments over years, I seriously doubt Celtic will be paying us anywhere near £3m. And no mention of a sell on clause is horrendous business.

As a Club we have sold Moult, Kipre, Johnson, Hastie, Heneghan, McKinstrey & now Turnbull for more than £7m combined over the last 2-3 years and the fans have watched as yet more cheap non league dross has replaced them. The club MUST spend a decent chunk of money on serious replacements because at this minute we are right where Dundee Utd were 3 years ago! Losing Hastie & Turnbull could be catastrophic if we arent smart. Yes its great clearing the debt, but not so great when we are then relegated to spend several years in the Championship where we either rack up more debt or worse!

If it truly is £3m , we do have a sell-on clause and we spend wisely on good quality replacements, then Yes it will be proved to be a very good deal, but as of this moment I am seriously concerned

• Like 3

Would except as soon as the ink has dried on any transfer deal to any club Alan Burrows will issue a statement to the club owners that's us the fans,giving the amount we have been paid for the player and details of any add ons . If that doesn't happen then suggest the club owners call a EGM demand the details and if it's not forthcoming then ask for Mr Burrows to resign 

• Haha 1

Lots of hyperbole and conjecture on here and facebook. So let's look at what we know about this and what we can reasonably infer.

• If his agent is worth his salt he probably made sure when he was offered improved terms last season that a release clause was put in place
  • Celtic got their fingers burned with McGinn last summer so aren't going to pinch like they did
  • It looks like Celtic's latest offer has triggered a release clause and consequently Turnbull can speak to them regarding personal terms, it is far from a done deal
  • This will no doubt spur those who have expressed interest into action who maybe thought they'd deal with this in July or August
  • If another club matches or eclipses Celtic's bid then the club will inform the players agent that they are now preferred bidder and its again personal terms
  • Flow despite being a Well fan first is responsible as a company director by the rules and governance pertaining to that role
  • He does not want to sell a prized asset to another team in this league due to a few things, firstly the fan fallout as we are witnessing
  • There is the potential for the player to come back and haunt us
  • Finally the perception that more money will be forthcoming from a team in England
  • Read between the lines of the press release, it is not purely an announcement that he is in talks with Celtic, its a call to action to other interested parties to get their finger out and dig deep
  • Yes it would be nice if he stayed for 18 months more and went for 7 figures in January 2021 however that is not going to happen so let's all move on from that wishful thinking
  • Nobody has really considered if he is a homebody and wants to stay locally, is willing to be hated by half the population of Scotland due to his employer, fancies the challenge of a move down south, etc. That will influence his move
  • Lets all pray for a bidding war
  • Like 2

Well done Flow for getting him to sign an extended contract in the first place and thanks to Turnbill for signing it.

Both have got the club £3million quid. Would have been easy for him to do a Hastie and get a huge sign on fee for himself. Both have done the best for the club. I can only imagine the rage and outcry if he went to Celtic on a free like Hastie did to Rangers. Its the real world the club has to operate in ffs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

All this angst and sudden outpouring of animosity towards the board and club because we sold a player we all knew would never start the new season in a well shirt.

Does anyone really think if we had waited till transfer deadline day we would suddenly get a £5 million bid for Turnbull from a top English team, or would it be the same as we have now, let's be honest  there was never going to be a bidding war. 

So what difference does it make selling him now or 6 weeks from now, when there might not have been a deal on the table.

If the figures are to be believed it's a club record transfer fee, with good add-ons, that could see the club debt free and on a stable financial footing for years to come, and there are still people moaning about it.

Your last statement may be true but there will be a damn sight fewer supporters paying to watch them.

I can't understand why folk are saying he wants to play on a bigger stage. He'll be playing in the same pishy league as he would've been if he stayed with us. He'll just be getting paid a lot more money for doing it.

Classic reason why our league is so weak as the OF continue to hoover up any decent players from other clubs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I can't understand why folk are saying he wants to play on a bigger stage. He'll be playing in the same pishy league as he would've been if he stayed with us. He'll just be getting paid a lot more money for doing it.

Classic reason why our league is so weak as the OF continue to hoover up any decent players from other clubs.

I am very very much against selling him to Celtic for my own selfish reason of I fucking hate them, but this is just not true Grew. If he signs for them and makes the step up to the first team, he will be playing in the Europa League group stages at worst, and maybe the Champions League groups with a favourable draw.

His week in week out will stay the same but he'll get about 8 European games minimum and a lot more money for it. 

• David locked this topic