The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

7 hours ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Spot on. Any Motherwell fan who believes the Chief Executive is not doing his best for the club needs to explain to me why the think that. We have always sold our best players and having supported Motherwell for 50 years I can confidently say it'll never change. We've sold Turnbull to another Scottish team who most of us detest but they are not our 'rivals' as some have claimed, yes they are in the same league but we're not competing with them at any level. I've never been comfortable seeing any Motherwell player move to the two Glasgow clubs, but although it's unlikley to have happened due to the size of the fee, it would have been worse if we'd sold him to any team who we are competing against for league positions. £3m to our club is an amazing amount that can be used on/off the park, most importantly think how some of that could be used to improve the team. Also you just need to look at the state of our stadium  to see what improvements are required and how some of the money could be spent. The money couldn't be turned down without a guarantee that in keeping Turnbull for another season he'd be injury free or continue to perform in the same manner as he's done in the past 14 months since his debut. 

We just played them in two cup finals! 

35 minutes ago, ropy said:

Do we boo when he comes back?

Surely this wasnt serious? 

The lad is one of our own and he has behaved amazingly through his short first team career with us. As unsavoury it will be, DT in a rival strip, its economics of the game. 

Deserves nothing but applause, he's a hero!! 

3m + 250k 'achievable' add ons + sell on....very hard to turn down from any club at any time in the window. 

Gutted to see Turnbull leave but I didnt think he would be with us come end of August anyway. Just happened a bit earlier than I thought. 

The way he conducted himself and signing a new contract when he could easily have not have made this situation so different to Hastie leaving thankfully.

Cheers for that amazing debut season and cash in the bank Davie boy. Always welcome back in my eyes! 

It is painful to see an especially talented player go and that hurt is only magnified given the destination but for me the harsh reality is that this is the model operating as intended.

Develop or identify. Sell as high as the club believe is possible then invest and begin process once more.

Having a scan on Twitter I'm intrigued by Alan Burrows remarks that the deal will "literally allow us to lay foundations" on the back of the transformational stuff from earlier.

My immediate reaction was that must be relating to training facilities for which we are reported to struggle with, particularly in winter.

But whilst £3m will not of course pay for a new stadium. £3m plus proceeds from the sale of Fir Park (although something in the back of my mind tells me John Boyle has or at least had ownership of the ground) money for naming rights and any potential sweeteners for re-locating to Ravenscraig might take you a good bit closer to making it a reality.

Ridiculous I dare say but just a thought.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, El Grew said:

Classic reason why our league is so weak as the OF continue to hoover up any decent players from other clubs.

You also have to wonder what the young players coming through the ranks at Celtic are thinking about the Turnbull situation, especially if they play in his position. A few may be disgruntled that Celtic are looking to other clubs rather than bringing through players from their own academy.

The more I think about this deal, the more I just dont get it. After all Flow's big man talk, we accept less than £3m (if reports are to be believed) and look like we have accepted the first half decent deal offered. We have done so and we are not even half way through June which is a bit baffling, but more worrying is that we have killed any "bidding war" stone dead with the first bid made which seems insane to me. Other clubs now know what we will accept, so if they are interested all they need to bid is the same amount, then offer the player/agent more in signing fees and wages! 

So in the matter of a week we have gone from "bidding will start north of £3m" to accepting the first bid, which is less than £3m with the hope of a couple hundred grand in add ons. And to make the pill even more bitter to swallow, looking at Flow's tweets we will not see a single penny spent on the playing side.

With the likes of Hamilton, they have always sold well, reinvested in the squad a little and used the money to develop the club. However, they have generally sold 1 player in a season. Dundee United sold Gauld, GMS,Armstrong, Ciftci & Robertson in quick succession, using the money to service a debt that didnt need to be paid immediately, reinvested practically nothing and ended up relegated and stuck in the Championship. We have sold Johnson, Moult, Heneghan & Kipre in the last couple years, and now lose Hastie, Turnbull & probably Cadden, plus what looks like 2 of our biggest prospects within 1 month of each other! This is looking scarily like identikit Dundee Utd.

I suppose our Stadium and Academy will look nice for the Championship tho so its not all bad.

The reports I am seeing is that the offer is £3 million plus add-ons. Also bids were knocked back last week of £2 million and less. So not the first bid that has been accepted.

Club did say it would take at least £3 million and that appears to be what we have got.

I'll be gutted to see him go but I am hoping that another club does come in for him.

40 minutes ago, Shaka said:

The more I think about this deal, the more I just dont get it. After all Flow's big man talk, we accept less than £3m (if reports are to be believed) and look like we have accepted the first half decent deal offered. We have done so and we are not even half way through June which is a bit baffling, but more worrying is that we have killed any "bidding war" stone dead with the first bid made which seems insane to me. Other clubs now know what we will accept, so if they are interested all they need to bid is the same amount, then offer the player/agent more in signing fees and wages! 

So in the matter of a week we have gone from "bidding will start north of £3m" to accepting the first bid, which is less than £3m with the hope of a couple hundred grand in add ons. And to make the pill even more bitter to swallow, looking at Flow's tweets we will not see a single penny spent on the playing side.

With the likes of Hamilton, they have always sold well, reinvested in the squad a little and used the money to develop the club. However, they have generally sold 1 player in a season. Dundee United sold Gauld, GMS,Armstrong, Ciftci & Robertson in quick succession, using the money to service a debt that didnt need to be paid immediately, reinvested practically nothing and ended up relegated and stuck in the Championship. We have sold Johnson, Moult, Heneghan & Kipre in the last couple years, and now lose Hastie, Turnbull & probably Cadden, plus what looks like 2 of our biggest prospects within 1 month of each other! This is looking scarily like identikit Dundee Utd.

I suppose our Stadium and Academy will look nice for the Championship tho so its not all bad.

I do also think we seem to have dealt quite early but if someone puts 3m + add ons + sell on (The Scotman) that is very hard to turn down whether we are in debt or not.

If someone actually wants to pay more then a bid will be forthcoming sharpish today...

51 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

It is painful to see an especially talented player go and that hurt is only magnified given the destination but for me the harsh reality is that this is the model operating as intended.

Develop or identify. Sell as high as the club believe is possible then invest and begin process once more.

Having a scan on Twitter I'm intrigued by Alan Burrows remarks that the deal will "literally allow us to lay foundations" on the back of the transformational stuff from earlier.

My immediate reaction was that must be relating to training facilities for which we are reported to struggle with, particularly in winter.

But whilst £3m will not of course pay for a new stadium. £3m plus proceeds from the sale of Fir Park (although something in the back of my mind tells me John Boyle has or at least had ownership of the ground) money for naming rights and any potential sweeteners for re-locating to Ravenscraig might take you a good bit closer to making it a reality.

Ridiculous I dare say but just a thought.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Les, Boyle, Derek Weir and Jim McMahon all have/had a security over the ground for the debts owed. Once that debt is paid off it will be removed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

You also have to wonder what the young players coming through the ranks at Celtic are thinking about the Turnbull situation, especially if they play in his position. A few may be disgruntled that Celtic are looking to other clubs rather than bringing through players from their own academy.

Those youngsters just need to accept the fact that they're probably nowhere near the player that Turnbull is. It's not as if Celtic are akin to Chelsea here, they've given youngsters a chance if they think they're good enough. McGregor and Forrest are two examples of that.

If some of the cash is used to resign Gorrin, Ariyibi and a proven striker. Plus tie down the likes of McAlear then it’s money’s well spent that could see us move forward and pay dividends in the future. 

Bottom line is the long term future of the club must come first and unless one of us has a spare £2M to give the club to keep DT and buy the said players then we have to sell to the team willing to pay the asking price. 

• Like 1

As suggested earlier, I’m pretty sure we have ‘dealt’ at a pre-agreed release clause figure that would have been part of his most recent contract renewal. Why do fans always have to see the negative in everything. We are £3M to good, which is huge for a club like us. Yeah it’s a shame we won’t get to watch him pull on claret and amber again, but we can be very proud that he was a product of our youth system as he goes on to hopefully have a glorious career in football.

• Like 1

"What price will it take to buy David Turnbull"

"His price point is x"

"Okay we're willing to pay that/Sorry, we aren't willing to go to that value, we'd only offer y"

"Great, we'll keep that on the table and feel free to speak with him/No problem, thanks for your interest"

That's all that's happened, and it's happened with several clubs. If Celtic are the only one that have gone with the first set of answers...what do people want us to do? Say "no because its you"? Respond to the initial question with "well how much are you willing to pay"?

Absolutely mental stuff.

• Like 1

Where has the release clause chat come from? Burrows has already stated in his tweets it was the boards decision to accept the offer as it was too risky to hold out for a bigger bid that might never come. 

Plus why would there be add ons if the release clause had been met? 

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

Why are we still talking about a first bid, it’s simply not true. On top of that there is still nothing to stop a bidding war. Turnbull is in talks, he has not signed. Bournemouth and any other club can put a bid in this morning if they really want him. A player is only worth what people are willing to pay, if any club wants to outbid Celtic now is their opportunity. 

As much as I hate that he'll be going to Celtic I can't believe some of the responses on here. Well I suppose I can but it is still an amazing read.

Celtic are the only team that bothered to match our asking price. Sure some others may match it before the deal is done but no one else has yet.

Talk of not renewing season tickets and never goin back is fucking wild. How long have you been Motherwell fans? 9 months? You may say how sick of the OF taking Motherwell players over the years but you surely understand that these sort of transactions are vital.

If he was moving to Barnsley for £3m+ I am pretty sure no one would give a fuck never mind the chat of not renewing/never going back.

• Like 3

I am completely against developing other teams players but I would definitely take Mikey Johnston on loan if it was part of the deal, cracking player. 

I also seen a tweet regarding the turnbull deal being attractive to us cause it was money upfront and him being loaned back for the season at no cost, doubt it's true but there you go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I am completely against developing other teams players but I would definitely take Mikey Johnston on loan if it was part of the deal, cracking player. 

I also seen a tweet regarding the turnbull deal being attractive to us cause it was money upfront and him being loaned back for the season at no cost, doubt it's true but there you go.

Agreed,I'm usually against loaning players from the same league but as things stand im seriously concerned about our attacking options,granted robbo has said more attacking players will be signed but if there's a chance of getting either morgan or Johnston on loan,then for me we have too take as either player would walk into our side.if we can put up with conor sammon on loan then anything is possible.

Have refrained from commenting until now to let all the usual suspects have there tuppence worth

£3M +whatever add ons for a club like ours cannot be sneezed at

At the moment he has not signed …… club has accepted Celtic’s offer and DT can talk terms with them …… Bournemouth asked to be kept informed of any developments so I take it that the club have informed them of Celtic’s offer and it’s now up them if they want to match it OR better it in order to speak to DT …… who knows if any of his other suitors have also asked the same.

No problem with the offer as that’s exactly what our business model is all about and the sooner some people accept that the better for all involved with the club.

For DT development point of view think a move to Celtic is a bad one for him

Still playing in the same league against the same players should be wanting to test himself in England or abroad against more technical players which I have no doubt he would take in his stride

He would still be staying in the West of Scotland where he will be equally loved and despised by either half of the BIGOT Brothers ……… fine when he was playing for The Mighty but good luck to him trying to go out for a quite Saturday night !!!!

The further the boy an get away from these idiots the better it will be for his development 

5 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Have refrained from commenting until now to let all the usual suspects have there tuppence worth

£3M +whatever add ons for a club like ours cannot be sneezed at

At the moment he has not signed …… club has accepted Celtic’s offer and DT can talk terms with them …… Bournemouth asked to be kept informed of any developments so I take it that the club have informed them of Celtic’s offer and it’s now up them if they want to match it OR better it in order to speak to DT …… who knows if any of his other suitors have also asked the same.

No problem with the offer as that’s exactly what our business model is all about and the sooner some people accept that the better for all involved with the club.

For DT development point of view think a move to Celtic is a bad one for him

Still playing in the same league against the same players should be wanting to test himself in England or abroad against more technical players which I have no doubt he would take in his stride

He would still be staying in the West of Scotland where he will be equally loved and despised by either half of the BIGOT Brothers ……… fine when he was playing for The Mighty but good luck to him trying to go out for a quite Saturday night !!!!

The further the boy an get away from these idiots the better it will be for his development 

Fair comments, but regarding his development if he finally signs, he will be playing in Europe against some top teams if Celtic make the CL group s,  and as a Celtic player he will definitely make the Scotland squad, so it would be beneficial to him in that respect.  

12 hours ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Spot on. Any Motherwell fan who believes the Chief Executive is not doing his best for the club needs to explain to me why the think that. We have always sold our best players and having supported Motherwell for 50 years I can confidently say it'll never change. We've sold Turnbull to another Scottish team who most of us detest but they are not our 'rivals' as some have claimed, yes they are in the same league but we're not competing with them at any level. I've never been comfortable seeing any Motherwell player move to the two Glasgow clubs, but although it's unlikley to have happened due to the size of the fee, it would have been worse if we'd sold him to any team who we are competing against for league positions. £3m to our club is an amazing amount that can be used on/off the park, most importantly think how some of that could be used to improve the team. Also you just need to look at the state of our stadium  to see what improvements are required and how some of the money could be spent. The money couldn't be turned down without a guarantee that in keeping Turnbull for another season he'd be injury free or continue to perform in the same manner as he's done in the past 14 months since his debut. 

He might be doing what he thinks is best for the Club, but that doesn't mean that it is the best for the Club.

Of course Celtic are our rivals...we play in the same league as them and they are based 10miles away...yes we may not compete with them to win the league, but we compete with them in terms of bringing supporters through the door. 

There is no wonder that so many from our area go and watch the two teams from Glasgow rather than follow us.

• David locked this topic