The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I couldn't give a flying fuck he has(maybe) signed for Celtic I am more concerned the fact we have basically lost our best player and our top goal scorer from last season.No I don't want a young player from Celtic on loan totally pointless we have out own to bring on.

It's going to be a more interesting summer already on transfer front now cause we have to try replace a massive loss.

All in all I hope David goes on to amazing and great things can never take away the fact he started at the super well! Definitely one of the best talents to come through out youth system let's hope many more come on like him.

56 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

As much as I hate that he'll be going to Celtic I can't believe some of the responses on here. Well I suppose I can but it is still an amazing read.

Celtic are the only team that bothered to match our asking price. Sure some others may match it before the deal is done but no one else has yet.

Talk of not renewing season tickets and never goin back is fucking wild. How long have you been Motherwell fans? 9 months? You may say how sick of the OF taking Motherwell players over the years but you surely understand that these sort of transactions are vital.

If he was moving to Barnsley for £3m+ I am pretty sure no one would give a fuck never mind the chat of not renewing/never going back.

You know me Busta, I've been going since the 80s. I'm more than aware that we need to sell players, every now and again, and that Turnbull was never going to play for us next season. 

However, I reckon I've just about had enough of watching us sell every decent asset we ever seem to get a hold of, just as quickly as a larger team gets the cheque book out. The selling of Turnbull, to a team in the same league, a team that continually decimates other teams, a team that continually shouts about lack of a domestic challenge, a team that is supported to the neck by absolute wankers, and many from around here.

This isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to Turnbull leaving for Celtic (if indeed that happens), its years and years of the same sort of stuff, and years of watching our pish poor, unequal league. No doubt I'll end up buying my season ticket, but this constant rebuild year on year, is getting on my tits, as is dealing with a Club, who I wouldn't pish on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think it would take much to get Ariyibi away from Forrest, 100k bid should be enough which is pretty high for us but surely we can cope with that now.
£100k? You've just taken in £3m. That'll be £250k now...

Welcome to the reality we now have of attempting to spend money on players.

And why, regardless of whether it is true or otherwise, the club will make great play that Robinson's budget won't change.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

£100k? You've just taken in £3m. That'll be £250k now...

It's obviously only when we are selling players that there's a fixed price!  It's dynamic prices when we are buying :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

It's obviously only when we are selling players that there's a fixed price!  It's dynamic prices when we are buying :lol:

There's the reason fees are 'Undisclosed'... Every agent and club will know we've just came into £3million and the wages and fees increase as a result.

Fees are undisclosed for a number of reasons, to hide information from fans is nowhere near the top.

• Like 1

I get the argument of “what’s the ducking point” given we have sold our best player to Celtic and a decent prospect has walked away and signed for Rangers. I realised there was no point the season (2011/12?) we started really well, then took back to back pumpings from the old firm.

I also get, that ultimately everyone is for sale if the price is right though.

We could’ve tried to hold onto him until January and got the same money, but next summer his value plummets as we would have to sell him. If he was to get injured in November and miss 2-3 months or pick up some niggles meaning a stop start season he drops off the radar (see Cadden).

I presume the players current contract is a consideration when clubs try to buy him, if we had him tied up for 2 years on £10k a week we might be in a stronger position to argue he was worth more. Ultimately his contact is probably worth less than £200k, so £3 million is amazing.

Gutted he’s going, more so it’s to Celtic. I think we do need to try and hold onto some players over the next 18 months, but ultimately if we bring someone in and they make an impression it will probably happen again.

13 minutes ago, ScottW1886 said:

There's the reason fees are 'Undisclosed'... Every agent and club will know we've just came into £3million and the wages and fees increase as a result.

Fees are undisclosed for a number of reasons, to hide information from fans is nowhere near the top.

Any agent that wants to know will just ask an agent involved. 

If they don't confirm this fee we would be as well handing the WS shareholding over to Burrows, Weir,  McMahon and Dickie because it will obviously mean fuck all. 

£3million quid for 19 yo Scottish midfielder who has played 30 games and doesn’t come from the old firm or an English club

dont think there are many that have done that in the past

lets put this into perspective. 

I can only think of Ryan Gould off top of my head and maybe Andy Robertson

What we are getting is a good deal

i don’t see how anyone else can see that it’s not, regardless of who he signs for 

• Like 1

Gutted he’s going, more so it’s to Celtic. I think we do need to try and hold onto some players over the next 18 months, but ultimately if we bring someone in and they make an impression it will probably happen again.

Most likely as the "won't stand in your way if a suitable offer received" approach appears to play a part in us selling the club to new players and encouraging existing players to sign new deals.

But I imagine the healthier the bank balance is the more resilient we can be in determining what bids we can immediately dismiss and those we consider. Great strides have been taken from the days of say Jamie Murphy's move compared to now. This sum should help us continue to strengthen our hand when negotiating.

42 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Any agent that wants to know will just ask an agent involved. 

If they don't confirm this fee we would be as well handing the WS shareholding over to Burrows, Weir,  McMahon and Dickie because it will obviously mean fuck all. 

It will be the annual accounts for a kick off so it's no big secret long term.

The buying club often set the agenda on that front too. 

Can someone just clarify once and for all whether the proposed deal includes a sell on %? To me that is almost as critical as the fee agreed.  Seems to be mixed info out there. 

Celtic have benefited massively from such agreements so I see no reason why we should not have insisted on the same type of protective arrangement. 

4 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Not really sure if I can ever recall it happening before. What did Scott Brown cost?

Had a quick scan on wiki earlier.

Turnbull, if he goes to Celtic, will be the most they have ever paid another scottish club for a player except Brown.

Brown went for 4.4, next one lower is Armstrong for 2m and he had played 150 ish games for Dundee Utd at that point.

4 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Can someone just clarify once and for all whether the proposed deal includes a sell on %? To me that is almost as critical as the fee agreed.  Seems to be mixed info out there. 

Celtic have benefited massively from such agreements so I see no reason why we should not have insisted on the same type of protective arrangement. 

Scotsman reports c3m fee + 'acheivable' add ons + sell on fee.

Had a quick scan on wiki earlier.
Turnbull, if he goes to Celtic, will be the most they have ever paid another scottish club for a player except Brown.
Brown went for 4.4, next one lower is Armstrong for 2m and he had played 150 ish games for Dundee Utd at that point.
Duncan Ferguson from Dundee Utd to Rangers was around £4m or so if I recall rightly.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

You know me Busta, I've been going since the 80s. I'm more than aware that we need to sell players, every now and again, and that Turnbull was never going to play for us next season. 

However, I reckon I've just about had enough of watching us sell every decent asset we ever seem to get a hold of, just as quickly as a larger team gets the cheque book out. The selling of Turnbull, to a team in the same league, a team that continually decimates other teams, a team that continually shouts about lack of a domestic challenge, a team that is supported to the neck by absolute wankers, and many from around here.

This isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to Turnbull leaving for Celtic (if indeed that happens), its years and years of the same sort of stuff, and years of watching our pish poor, unequal league. No doubt I'll end up buying my season ticket, but this constant rebuild year on year, is getting on my tits, as is dealing with a Club, who I wouldn't pish on.

Absolutely !!

Thanks Superward.

A good sell on % could make a decent deal exceptional and make a transfer to Celtic a bit more palatable. It would be nice to hear confirmation officially though, rather than via media outlets which speculate almost as much as folk on football forums..    I'm certain the Club have confirmed sell on clauses being part of other recent transfers even if they do not quote % level..  And unlike the initial fee paid that is something that will not be confirmed in our next set of Annual Accounts.

My concern is that Celtic are often reported as unwilling to include such agreements in purchases from Scottish teams. Different story when they are selling of course. I have no doubt they will move him on in a few years for a massive profit. Just like they are about to do with NtCham and McGregor. That's their operating model. Same as us but on a bigger scale.

17 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Duncan Ferguson from Dundee Utd to Rangers was around £4m or so if I recall rightly.

Aye in 1994 so 8 million with UK inflation and much more than that with football inflation. 

• David locked this topic