The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

4 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Probably a bit of bias talking but I really think David will stagnate at Celtic, if he wants to move on up, he needs to leave Scotland.

Honestly I think he will shine at any club, he’s got real quality regardless of where he plays. Celtic will sell him to a club down south for 10 million plus within two years in my view.

While I am not happy at the prospect of David playing for Celtic (having sadly watched the Old Firm scoop up Dixie Deans, Joe McBride, Peter McCloy, Tom Forsyth all the way to Brian McClair, Phil O’Donnell, even Jake Hastie) I think it may be a long term good option : he will be playing in a league he is already pre-eminent in, will surely gain Scotland caps, will score even more goals and provide more assists, will be seen across Europe (ie a bigger shop window) and will just as likely outgrow Celtic and move on for a fee the percentage of which coming to us will be another big financial boost.

He has behaved impeccably and should not be grudged his promotion and also has earned a choice he has yet to make. If he goes elsewhere it will be for more. More to us. If he goes to Celtic I doubt it will be for long and then a bigger move. More to us. So you have every best wish from me, David, whatever way it goes. Thank you.

Edited by Hope Springs
Mid spelling
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Andy Robertson and Paul Lambert have the answer on how to make it at the top level in Europe. He could do worse than have a word with them before coming to a decision. Hull City was the best move Andy ever made as it gave him a platform to show Liverpool what he was all about. Dortmund was the best move that Lambert ever made and his European Cup medal is proof of that. 

How much have Dortmund and Hull offered for Turnbull ?

Alan Burrows-

However, I think it's important not to blow what could be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to take the club to a different level when it comes to infrastructure projects around the academy and our youth development programme.

"However, let's see what happens and then we'll take stock."

10 hours ago, Stonehaven'Well said:

Alan Burrows-

However, I think it's important not to blow what could be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to take the club to a different level when it comes to infrastructure projects around the academy and our youth development programme.

"However, let's see what happens and then we'll take stock."

Perfect. I look forward to our new status as a relatively wealthy Scottish club (especially now with Cadden also likely away), languishing in the championship after a shitfest of a 19/20 season.  

We’ve just or are in the process of bagging 4M+ from Turnbull and development fees for Cadden and Hastie (the later a little while longer in coming) however this bank balance can be used to sustain as after 0 significant squad reinvestment sees us picking up smaller and smaller crowds.

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

We won't get relegated if we sell Turnbull. 

Not, but we will if we consistently  replace with poorer quality than what’s leaving.

its not only about being relegated, it’s about quality and entertainment value, which (second half of last season apart) has been woeful since Robinson arrived; and I include the cup finals seasons in that.

35 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Perfect. I look forward to our new status as a relatively wealthy Scottish club (especially now with Cadden also likely away), languishing in the championship after a shitfest of a 19/20 season.  

We’ve just or are in the process of bagging 4M+ from Turnbull and development fees for Cadden and Hastie (the later a little while longer in coming) however this bank balance can be used to sustain as after 0 significant squad reinvestment sees us picking up smaller and smaller crowds.

Let’s wait and see what squad we end up with. It’s pointless predicting relegation or reduced crowds at this point. Season ticket sales are up under Robinson.

• Like 1

Over the last couple of seasons the club's policy of bringing in " lower quality players" as some posters on here refer to them has paid off and put the club on the road to a secure financial footing,

The money made by selling on Moult, Johnson, Kipre, Heneghan, Bowman etc has just about wiped out the club debt, and now theTurnbull deal will see the club finally rid of the problems inherited from the John Boyle era.

So now for the 1st time instead of any spare cash the club has going to service it's debts SR might actually have a decent budget to bring in some better players long term .

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dennyc said:

Oh, I think they have confirmed quite a lot.......Deal or no deal

They have confirmed that Celtic met the Club's valuation. They have confirmed they have given Turnbull permission to speak to Celtic. They have confirmed they turned down unacceptable offers of around £2m.  They have confirmed "achievable" add ons totalling £250k. They have confirmed that the sale is with a view to securing a future without debt . They have confirmed funds will be utilised to create a stronger base for development under fan ownership. . Confirmation that the deal would also provide additional income if Celtic cash in would not be amiss.

And if it is all just about geeing up other interested parties, then suggesting add ons including a sell on clause had been agreed with Celtic would be a good move.

Have they confirmed all of that though? The official club Tweet simply said that the club had agreed a fee with Celtic for the sale of David Turnbull. I've read amounts and talk of "achievable add-ons" in the media, but have the club officially confirmed or denied those stories?

I know Burrows has said that the amount we receive will change the club forever and so forth, but again, has he actually confirmed an amount? 

I'm genuinely asking this, because I've not had time to follow everything that we've seen in the press due to work.

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

its not only about being relegated, it’s about quality and entertainment value, which (second half of last season apart) has been woeful since Robinson arrived; and I include the cup finals seasons in that.

This is it for me...the entertainment factor has been practically nil, for umpteen seasons now, until the 2nd half of last season. In years gone by, I would have watched any old shite that Motherwell served up, but in my old age I'd actually like to be entertained for the cost of my season ticket...

...the Club? 'ach fuck it, get him sold and we can worry about the entertainment later'

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Over the last couple of seasons the club's policy of bringing in " lower quality players" as some posters on here refer to them has paid off and put the club on the road to a secure financial footing,

The money made by selling on Moult, Johnson, Kipre, Heneghan, Bowman etc has just about wiped out the club debt, and now theTurnbull deal will see the club finally rid of the problems inherited from the John Boyle era.

So now for the 1st time instead of any spare cash the club has going to service it's debts SR might actually have a decent budget to bring in some better players long term .

Or more than likely will get spent on 'club infrastructure' which is also badly needed....I don't see us moving away from our current signing policy or wage structure

Having allowed the dust (and disappointment) to settle, here are a few thoughts on the sale of David.

Rather than the fee or going to Celtic, I am more disappointed in that we will no longer see in Claret & Amber the finest player to come through the ranks in the last 50 years and had hoped that we would have kept him until the New Year.

The club strategy of being a showcase for players to develop from which we can generate transfer income means that they a difficult balance to strike between maximising the transfer fee and being fair to the player.  Blocking a lucrative move for the player would have made us less attractive to both young players and finds from the scouting system.

That said in my 50+ years of going to Fir Park we consistently been woeful in selling players. I can only recall 3 occasions when I believe we held out for the true value of the player.

• ·         Keith McRae going to Man.City
  • ·         Phil O’Donnell to Celtic for cash upfront (although the timing just before the match against Dortmund was crap
  • ·         James McFadden to Everton

The transfer will clear debts and allow investment.  The loss of David will only be acceptable if funds are used, not on transfer fees, but as signing on fees to secure the likes of Campbell, Dunn, Maguire, Semple, Livingston etc. onto longer contracts. Otherwise we face losing certainly the last four next summer.  We need proper forward planning to avoid having to rebuild every summer and scramble for players in the Winter window. 

Finally we should all reflect on what a fine contribution David made to the club as an outstanding player and person.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kmac said:

Not, but we will if we consistently  replace with poorer quality than what’s leaving.

A bit pessimistic depending on how we interpret your post.  If you mean bringing in experienced pros then you might be right although the likes of Louis Moult and Marvin Johnson might go some way to dispel that.  If you mean that future generations of Academy graduates I don't agree at all.  The real quality players like your David Turnbulls, James McFaddens and Phil O'Donnells will always be home grown and I look forward to see more coming through the ranks in the years to come.  No reason why they shouldn't be as good. 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:59 PM, Yorkyred said:

I’m happy to wait until it’s all sorted and then make a judgement, everything else at this point is a level of guesswork.

My view too Yorky. 

A lot of OTT reaction on here so far.  For me, the critical question is "Is there a sell on clause?" We don't know as the press articles are all vague and not entirely consistent. I also get the impression, maybe wrongly, that there is a clause in his contract covering being allowed to talk to clubs if bids of a certain value are received.     

Its now been a day or two since the news about us agreeing Celtic's bid being accepted was made public.  Interested parties from down south have now had the time, the means and the financial clout to submit better bids, and as far we know have not done so.  Time will tell if they do so.   

The lad himself has done well by us by signing a new deal so good on him.  I never expected him to stay until next season.

4 hours ago, Kmac said:

Entertainment is a very broad term.Were you not entertained getting to 2 cup finals?

Also , there could be a few David Turnbulls coming through the youths for all we know .We all wish in a perfect world he could stay but the money could take us up a few levels.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic