The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure why the rage. Fee amount accepted. Player offered terms. Terms knocked back.  That’s how it works, right. I suppose they arrogantly thought that their offer to the player wouldn’t be turned down. 

Correct. Not the first time two clubs agree a fee only for the player to knock it back. 

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

If he doesn't join Celtic are we happy selling him for less to someone else?

I doubt we'd sell him to anyone for less in this window, if £3m is our current valuation. So that implies we'd get to see him play for a bit longer before selling him for a bit less, which I'd imagine would make most people happy enough. (Unless he'd continued to improve so much that his value should obviously have gone up.)

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I suppose they arrogantly thought that their offer to the player wouldn’t be turned down. 

They'll have a valuation of what they believe he's worth, both fee-wise and wages-wise. If it doesn't work for the player then fair play, no harm, no foul. 

I don't think it's arrogance, it's probably that David believes he can get a better deal elsewhere, and that's his decision. 

1 minute ago, Pepper said:

David Turnbull clearly has confidence in his own ability, maybe Burrow's and the rest of the board should take note.

Why does it always have to be someone getting grief? It has fuck all with anyone "taking note" and everything to do with the club accepting an offer they deem to be fair (and it's an offer most fans saw as fair before they knew it was Celtic paying it) and the option then being put to the player.

He can then choose to either move, or not. It's no one's fault, and no one has to "take note" of fuck all.

• Like 2

What gets me is Burrows tweet about how the clubs have been working for weeks to sort out a deal. Did anyone consult with David prior to the publication of the fee agreed comment from the club. Not blaming Burrows before people jump on me just curious

Just now, Well Well said:

What gets me is Burrows tweet about how the clubs have been working for weeks to sort out a deal. Did anyone consult with David prior to the publication of the fee agreed comment from the club. Not blaming Burrows before people jump on me just curious

Surely it’s agree a fee that’s  acceptable to the club first, then it’s up to the players agent to do his work. No player has to accept anything but there is no point doing it the other way round. This does not mean he won’t join Celtic, more he’s probably looking to maximise his options, he could still sign for them anyway.

Good on him clearly more on offer down south maybe this has been a bluff by his agent after all to get the teams down south  on the go.I could see an Aston Villa team like that come in for him but nothing but my best wishes whatever he does.

Edited by MrBeee

Timeline:-

• David having medical at Celtic
  • David passed medical
  • David not in the country
  • Tweet come from Celtic (sounds more like Donald Trump) " a fantastic offer ... a magnificent offer" !!!  what does that mean? -

The standard of journalism in the country is the pits, if only we could have an exclusive from Jimmy "I want bums on seats" Sanderson which had some truth to it as opposed the the fantasy guff that is spouted in the Scottish Press

Edited by The Sand Dancer
error
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’ve got to think that his agent is not blindly hawking him around English teams but more that there is at least 1 or 2 very interested. 

Well yes.  I would like to think that in touting the lad around down south, his agent will be taking into account the minimum fee thats acceptable to our club.  Presumably the minimum fee, commonly understood to be £3m, was also agreed with the lad himself and his agent, who once again is playing hardball.  Of course we don't know that the Celtic deal is stone dead yet - this could just be a negotiating ploy to jemmy a few more pounds from the biscuit tin.  

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Surely it’s agree a fee that’s  acceptable to the club first, then it’s up to the players agent to do his work. No player has to accept anything but there is no point doing it the other way round. This does not mean he won’t join Celtic, more he’s probably looking to maximise his options, he could still sign for them anyway.

Absolutely. However if they have been working on it for weeks I would be fuming if I was Burrows.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, johnstone said:

This could be a disaster for Motherwell as if the deal falls through, then no other club could be willing to pay the £3 million. 

Might mean he stays with us for another season or the club have to accept a lower offer.

All ifs and buts i suppose.

Next season instead of squad numbers let's give the players price tags on their backs.  Really show the World that Motherwell's only purpose is to provide footballers with a platform from which they can be sold on to "better" things than Motherwell and wherever they came from previously.

Let's try and get E-bay to sponsor us to complete the message that our overarching ambition is to be a selling club.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic