The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I feel like a pigeon eating chips reading  the utter seeeth from Celtic fans to motherwell, Turnbull and his agent. Wonderful stuff.

Good luck to the lad I hope the deal is dead and he can fulfil his potential out-with The poison of the west coast of Scotland. We’ll probably get more money for him and he will develop better playing at a higher standard away from the SPL. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, that hat said:

Next season instead of squad numbers let's give the players price tags on their backs.  Really show the World that Motherwell's only purpose is to provide footballers with a platform from which they can be sold on to "better" things than Motherwell and wherever they came from previously.

Let's try and get E-bay to sponsor us to complete the message that our overarching ambition is to be a selling club.

This. 100% 

31 minutes ago, that hat said:

Next season instead of squad numbers let's give the players price tags on their backs.  Really show the World that Motherwell's only purpose is to provide footballers with a platform from which they can be sold on to "better" things than Motherwell and wherever they came from previously.

Let's try and get E-bay to sponsor us to complete the message that our overarching ambition is to be a selling club.

Well said that man

We don’t need to sell Turnbull and personally I wouldn’t sell him to a direct rival for 3 million.

Especially after scoring 15 goals in 30 games which is more than brown managed in 100 odd games and hibs got nearly 5 million for him about 10 year ago?

33 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Or Burrows has seen the backlash from Motherwell fans and is perhaps slightly glad it hasn't gone through. 

It’s pretty much out of his hands once he agrees a fee with any team but I think he is in a very good position now. We either get a decent fee or we get to keep him playing for us. He chose to go down the path of take the money while it’s there which aligns with the views of a fair few people. I was in the other camp of take the risk and hold out for a while, either for better offer or continue to play for us, get better and net us a better deal down the road. Of course that’s a much riskier path but one I would have opted for and one which would seem we are now on. So for me there is no blame attached to Burrows for anything he made the call and I can’t say it’s the wrong call, just a different one than I would have liked. I really hope he does not go to Celtic but I think that, hopefully,  every single Motherwell fan wishes him all the success In the world regardless of where he goes even if that is Celtic. 

• Thanks 1

Even though a few was agreed who is to say that davie boy actually wanted to go to parkheid.  He could think ye I will get more money but my social life in the old firm bubble will forever be in public eye.  Also I am not going to have a go at burrows, I would rather have him than some foreign owner that doesn't care. All about opinions and that is mine....ps...HE'S...STILLLLLLLLL ONE OF OUR OWN....HE'S...STILLLLLLLL ONE OF OUR OWWWWWWNNNNNN 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Wait, what? :blink:

Not saying it would be the case but given how 'transformative' the sum of money was, if a player decides he wants to go to a club offering a £1m lower transfer fee, how popular is that player going to be with the board? 

It's a possibility, that's all...

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

Not saying it would be the case but given how 'transformative' the sum of money was, if a player decides he wants to go to a club offering a £1m lower transfer fee, how popular is that player going to be with the board? 

It's a possibility, that's all...

But, surely the asking price would be the same? The window has literally been open for a few days, so there's plenty of time for a deal to be done. If and when he goes anywhere, it'll be for the amount the club mentioned.

4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Even though a few was agreed who is to say that davie boy actually wanted to go to parkheid.  He could think ye I will get more money but my social life in the old firm bubble will forever be in public eye.  Also I am not going to have a go at burrows, I would rather have him than some foreign owner that doesn't care. All about opinions and that is mine....ps...HE'S...STILLLLLLLLL ONE OF OUR OWN....HE'S...STILLLLLLLL ONE OF OUR OWWWWWWNNNNNN 

Even if he didn’t want to go there it makes sense that him and his agent would at least want to see what was on offer rather than just knock it back blindly 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

That tweet from Celtic is one of the most unprofessional clusterfucks from a social media account that I've ever seen. Absolutely tremendous!

What are they trying to achieve with that?

Hopefully davie and agents are reading it and thinking........yep that is why we turned down yer offer to the team that gave.....ehhhh I mean pinched the Poznan.......you'll never walk alone.....etc etc

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Even though a few was agreed who is to say that davie boy actually wanted to go to parkheid.  He could think ye I will get more money but my social life in the old firm bubble will forever be in public eye. 

This has been my thinking for a while.

Bigger aspirations than playing in Scotland.

More wages, but playing the same teams, give or take European qualifiers.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Richie said:

This has been my thinking for a while.

Bigger aspirations than playing in Scotland.

More wages, but playing the same teams, give or take European qualifiers.

I agree but bear in mind he might just have turned down club with best fans in the world..(they took 4 million fans to Seville).  heh he

Rumoured 10K per week 4 year deal. 

If he stays he can’t be pissed off with Motherwell as - allegedly - when the price in his contract was reached he was allowed to talk to the club that made the offer, he or his agent knocked it back so he’s no reason to upset. 

Personally I think that if he stays he will only increase his value which should benefit  the club long term. 

Put simply nobody has done anything wrong. Motherwell agreed whatever terms with Celtic. David said “No thanks I think I can do better”. 

He might still end up there if those terms are improved but the seethe at present is marvellous. Celtic always try it on so this might not be the end of it. The Club have their valuation and if somebody else meets that valuation then he can speak to them. If nobody meets that valuation, then he stays. David did his bit for us by signing a new contract, perhaps against his Agent’s wishes. Think Hastie. He owes us no more. No way should anybody at Motherwell, fan or Official, give him a hard time for now looking after his own best interests.

I would be disgusted if anybody tried to force him out the door to a Club offering him terms he was not happy with. Even for £3m. I do think his Agent must have spoken to other Clubs and all this publicity regarding the Celtic offer can only help. In any case, when he eventually does go the overall package to Motherwell might be better long term even if the initial fee is under £3m.   Not that I’m suggesting it but  £2.5m plus a 20% sell on will bring in far more long than £3.25m that has been quoted for the Celtic offer.

Now, who is taking donations for that statue.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Burrows talking about spending the money before the boy has even decided whether or not to go to them wasn't very clever.

I actually meant negotiation wise. Of course Alan Burrows should not have been open about the plans for spending the cash. I do thinkhowever he only did that to try and justify the sale and appease fans like us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I have a suggestion which is a bit crazy but hey......why don't we keep Turnbull for another year!!!!.  If he continues form someone will take him in January to save losing out in bidding war.   Just a suggestion.....COYW

Never going to happen. He will never put on another Motherwell shirt, too far down the line now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Never going to happen. He will never put on another Motherwell shirt, too far down the line now.

You are probably right pal but as long as it's down south.  And yep I would take smaller fee but with bigger add ons...ie...2.5......20% sell on and bonus for caps and promotion if it's a championship club

• David locked this topic