The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Thing is there won’t be much point in us keeping them in the loop in 3/4 years time.

No, but it's all about information and contacts. We don't operate in isolation and neither do they.  So when Turnbull moves on to, say, Celtic, and Man City are keeping tabs in him, they will keep in contact with people who watch him regularly to get updates. That might be someone at our club that can give them updates or their might be someone at Celtic. Or, it might be both.

If we can assist Turnbull's career to progress with updates to EPL teams that might want to buy him in the future, it's worth our while (assuming there are sell ons there that will benefit us).

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

How do you know this?

I can confirm this also. Been told by a club employee that Man City would be keen to put him into their academy and potentially loan back to us

perfect scenario for us and builds a relationship for the future with one of the best teams in world football 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

I can confirm this also. Been told by a club employee that Man City would be keen to put him into their academy and potentially loan back to us

perfect scenario for us and builds a relationship for the future with one of the best teams in world football 

Would be fantastic if true. But again appears to be at odds with our CEO stating that no other club has shown that they are prepared to match the Celtic offer.  I would like to think if there was an outside chance of someone like Man City paying us £3m+ and loaning us back for a season Flow and the Board would be all over that. 

Interesting week ahead. If he has not signed for Celtic tomorrow or Tuesday then I think that will probably be that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Would be fantastic if true. But again appears to be at odds with our CEO stating that no other club has shown that they are prepared to match the Celtic offer.  I would like to think if there was an outside chance of someone like Man City paying us £3m+ and loaning us back for a season Flow and the Board would be all over that. 

Interesting week ahead. If he has not signed for Celtic tomorrow or Tuesday then I think that will probably be that.

I suspect that even with the money available down South, the fact that he'd not be seen as first team ready might mean a fee of less than £3m. Particularly if we are then getting him back on loan. 

Whether £2.25m with an increased chance of a decent sell on bonus later on (his value will grow ridiculously quickly if successful in England - or even if unsuccessful, look at Solanke) might be better long term than getting nearer £3m now and a smaller sell on when he leaves Celtic?  That's a separate question. 

There may be interest elsewhere but it may be that Burrows is right when he says that only Celtic are offering the larger fee for the initial sale with other bids perhaps promising more further down the line. Are we willing to roll the dice and gamble on more money down the line. .?  

7 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I suspect that even with the money available down South, the fact that he'd not be seen as first team ready might mean a fee of less than £3m. Particularly if we are then getting him back on loan. 

Whether £2.25m with an increased chance of a decent sell on bonus later on (his value will grow ridiculously quickly if successful in England - or even if unsuccessful, look at Solanke) might be better long term than getting nearer £3m now and a smaller sell on when he leaves Celtic?  That's a separate question. 

There may be interest elsewhere but it may be that Burrows is right when he says that only Celtic are offering the larger fee for the initial sale with other bids perhaps promising more further down the line. Are we willing to roll the dice and gamble on more money down the line. .?  

The longer it goes on without a bid from down south the longer it looks like Burrows had it spot on. People can talk of a bidding war all they like but other clubs should have come in by now if genuinely interested at the price and as others have said he is only worth what clubs are willing to pay.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The African said:

Am I alone in thinking that a “bidding war” is now unlikely. Given that all and sundry are now fully aware at what price we are prepared to deal?

Getting the impression that not many Motherwell fans want a 'bidding war'. They simply would rather he didn't sign for Celtic. Whether that's because they don't want to see him sign for another Scottish club or they feel a move down South or abroad would be better for his development or that they feel a sell on from another club would be more lucrative, I don't know. I suspect it's a combination of all those reasons...

Am I alone in thinking that a “bidding war” is now unlikely. Given that all and sundry are now fully aware at what price we are prepared to deal?

Ive said that from the start. We killed any chance of a bidding war stone dead by accepting the first offer around our valuation.

Now in my opinion, theres one of three options why the club has done this, firstly we have a pre-agreed clause in Turnbull's new contract, secondly there is no other genuine interest in Turnbull, or lastly the club has made a cunt of it. Time will tell which one it most likely was.

• Like 2

Not sure how many were expecting a bidding war. I was assuming it would be a club that offered MFC what they were prepared to accept and that Turnbull accepted the personal terms. We now know that we will accept 3M (or perhaps less depending on other terms) so its pretty much all down to Turnbull, assuming of course there is another club that will meet MFC requirements. As someone asked previously though, what happens if some club bids, say 1M and no sell on clause but a great personal offer to Turnbull? 

1 minute ago, Donaldo87 said:

David Turnbull urged to make Celtic decision himself or agents could ruin his career

Joe Miller was in a similar position to Turnbull in 1987 and has some advice for him.

Hahahaha. 

And so joe from 30 years ago is so concerned that he suddenly turns up to offer advice and apparently knows that Turnbull wasn’t involved in the decision. WTF!! I’m assuming this is another piece of wonderful Scottish journalism pandering to the old firm??

21 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

As someone asked previously though, what happens if some club bids, say 1M and no sell on clause but a great personal offer to Turnbull? 

I suppose that, should any club fail to meet our valuation, then we would decline permission for them to talk to the player and his agent. He is still currently contracted to Motherwell FC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

And so joe from 30 years ago is so concerned that he suddenly turns up to offer advice and apparently knows that Turnbull wasn’t involved in the decision. WTF!! I’m assuming this is another piece of wonderful Scottish journalism pandering to the old firm??

I used to love Joe Miller. When I say Joe Miller, I obviously refer to his childlike persona which used to appear regularly on Off The Ball. Right up there with Barry “ the bully” Ferguson and the Frankie Howardesque rendition of our own John Boyle. Happy days.

The real Joe Miller was shite.

• Like 1

I suppose that, should any club fail to meet our valuation, then we would decline permission for them to talk to the player and his agent. He is still currently contracted to Motherwell FC.

Agree but it could be awkward if MFC want him to go to club A but he wants to go to club B. I wonder if there was anything in the contract he signed that makes it his decision who to go to or is it as you say, the clubs call on where they want him to go? Not really knowing, I’m guessing that maybe Turnbull gets to sign for the club of his choosing as long as they meet some minimum amount? Which may be less than 3M?

Ah, so the media is now having a pop at young David for having the temerity to stall on signing for Celtic.....what a surprise! 

Its been a difficult and finely balanced decison for our club, but on the whole they've handled it well.  Things should be clearer this week. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure how many were expecting a bidding war. I was assuming it would be a club that offered MFC what they were prepared to accept and that Turnbull accepted the personal terms. We now know that we will accept 3M (or perhaps less depending on other terms) so its pretty much all down to Turnbull, assuming of course there is another club that will meet MFC requirements. As someone asked previously though, what happens if some club bids, say 1M and no sell on clause but a great personal offer to Turnbull? 

MFC already declared that it would take an offer significantly above our current record to buy DT, so its a simple answer “No thanks”. Until his contract has run down a bit we are in the driving seat. “Meet our valuation or go away.”  Unless we are desperate for the cash that is ....which we shouldn’t be.

Also David has earned the right to make his own decision if the valuation (or agreed figure) is met after he signed on in January. 

Isn’t it strange how most of the media and long forgotten players with Celtic connections are slamming Turnbull’s agent and  telling David to grab the offer quickly. Also that it was not David’s decision ...so that if he does sign their deluded fans might not give him a hard time. Celtic’s PR machine is very good but very obvious. In fact blatant.

Tweet from a Hearts fan;

"Imagine Leicester bid £20million for Tierney. Celtic accept. Tierney doesn't come to an agreement.

Player no doubt gets lauded as a "proper Celtic man" by the same fans chastising David Turnbull.

Level of self entitlement from the Old Firm is staggering. Geez peace."

Spot on! 

• Like 1

I mentioned bidding war before and now regret it. With this release clause the clubs know what it is that we have agreed to accept as a minimum, therefore why offer more to us at the expense of offering more to the player to make it more attractive to him? Of course they can sweeten the deal with a loan back/lonees/bigger sell on etc. which would make them the preferred bidder from Flow's point of view, however cash talks in a players hippy since Bosman. 

"Bidding wars" don't exist.

Teams will accept £xxx, The only bidding wars after that are for the players wages. Clubs have a price. More than one club are able to meet and and negotiate with the player & representatives.

Also I still believe he will sign for Celtic.

41 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I mentioned bidding war before and now regret it. With this release clause the clubs know what it is that we have agreed to accept as a minimum, therefore why offer more to us at the expense of offering more to the player to make it more attractive to him? . 

No club is going to pay more than they have to for anyone, so I’m not sure much has changed really.  The only difference is that the figure has been publicised this time, but I’m sure any interested clubs would already have been made aware of it anyway.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

"Bidding wars" don't exist.

Teams will accept £xxx, The only bidding wars after that are for the players wages. Clubs have a price. More than one club are able to meet and and negotiate with the player & representatives.

Also I still believe he will sign for Celtic.

Have you been talking to his pals? 

I stumbled across a tweet from a Celtic fan a few days ago that said it was unheard of for Celtic to meet another club's asking price and that could only mean when Turnbull and his agent turned up in Lawwell's  office they'd be offered £20 quid a week.

• David locked this topic