The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

Got us £3.2 million minimum AND tells Selik to fek off ya cheapskate barstewards. Then gets them to put out a magnificently embarassing statement and their team captain begs him to sign .   The answer is still no thanks .   Three statues at least and a named stand please.

• Like 7

Remember that the club accepting an offer just means that Norwich have the right to sign him if personal terms are agreed. It doesn't make it a done deal.

You'd have to think joining a "smaller" EPL team, however, would be an ideal move for him. 

(You'd also have to think that maybe his agent knew there was another offer brewing and intentionally stalled the Celtic negotiations. But that might be the cynic in me).

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

Confirmed by multiple sources including the BBC and herald. "Significant" sell on also mentioned

Both from Motherwell supporting journalists I think so likely to be reasonably well informed. 

Absolutely delighted for the player and club. As much as I detest agents, kudos to him for doing his job well. He’s also got us almost £1/2m more than what Celtic were giving us,  and I’d imagine £5k a week more for his client. I have no doubt we have a good sell on agreed as well so the boy has done an incredible turn for the team he supports.

The nonsense spouted from the likes of brown this week about trophies etc made me want him to move down south even more...treble treble, 10’in a row...... boring average league with a bang average Celtic being the best of a bad bunch. Clearly Brown believed he wasn’t good enough to go down south to play and win trophies there. Turnbull by moving there has shown more ambition and more desire to improve than Brown ever has.

I’ll look forward to seeing him progress with a team other than one of the ugly sisters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

With the crazy money down there the sell on could be worth more than the initial fee.

Gives me a reason to look out for English scores now. 

McCarthy went to Everton for £13 million in 2013. If Turnbull progresses at his current rate, he must be worth that.

(Not counting any chickens yet, though, until Delia puts him on a tractor for public display).

I am pleased that Norwich exceeded Celtic’s bid and, if David agrees terms with them it puts him in a better position to move on to a bigger EPL club given the coverage they get. Better development through playing better teams than Celtic ever will, better chance of a bigger move and thereby a bigger sell on cut for us and (maybe importantly) a metaphorical punch on the nose to Celtic who systematically have bullied other Scottish teams in so many ways and arrogantly tried to use a supine and submissive Scottish media to twist David’s arm when clearly Celtic , A’s is their won’t, failed to show enough respect to Motherwell and in particular a young man with a very big future that most football minded (but not Celtic minded) people could easily recognise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

McCarthy went to Everton for £13 million in 2013. If Turnbull progresses at his current rate, he must be worth that.

(Not counting any chickens yet, though, until Delia puts him on a tractor for public display).

And the English transfer market has escalated considerably since then. Any young British player who has one good season in the premier league and is sought after by a top 6 team is likely to be valued at a minimum of £30m, probably more (Longstaff, Rice, Wan Bissaka and Maddison current examples). 

Norwich appear to have a very good infrastructure and ethos for developing young talent. This has lead to their sporting director being courted by Man United. They are obviously a bit of a yo-yo club but with an exciting brand of attacking football on display last season, it looks like a good fit for David should he opt to accept their offer. 

• David locked this topic