The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

Would be an absolutely mental move.  The chance to get out of our backwater league to develop at an EPL team under a very good coach is something young Scottish players should be walking over hot coals for.  To throw that away to work with Lennon and Kennedy at Celtic, under the cloud of shit that will come over the next 2 seasons is bewildering.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Pepper said:

Somehow I don't think this is done and dusted yet...

I wish it was........

Club still get the money, but turning down the Premiership albeit with a team that will be amongst the favourites for relegation. 

Christ knows how he is ever going to win over the mob from the east end of Glasgow.  

Sure there is a rational explanation but right now it looks as if this has been a utter mess. 

Somewhat surprised Celtic improved offer after pulling out......they deserve each other. 

Probably sign for Southampton tomorrow 

5 minutes ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

Would be an absolutely mental move.  The chance to get out of our backwater league to develop at an EPL team under a very good coach is something young Scootish players should be walking over hot coals for.  To throw that away to work with Lennon and Kennedy at Celtic, under the cloud of shit that will come over the next 2 seasons is bewildering.

Fucking this....utterly bizarre.  

Ye if they have increased wages surely rest of Sellik squad will now be asking for pay rises and good luck Davie working with defensive coach genius Kennedy after his sly dig at you.  I feel worse now than I did last week when Sellik were first interested.    

1 minute ago, Pepper said:

The annoying thing is if we had played it right there could have been a proper bidding war.

Now all that happens is the player's terms improve with each offer and we get nowt more.  

This lies at the door of the door of the Boardroom.  If they'd had the courage to hold out who knows what we could have got.  The window is hardly open.  However we will move on and now look to see who will try and shaft us now they know we have the cash....

Just now, Pepper said:

The annoying thing is if we had played it right there could have been a proper bidding war.

Now all that happens is the player's terms improve with each offer and we get nowt more.  

Its becoming very clear that there's a release clause in his contract probably based on a £3m bid. I'm speculating but suspect he wouldn't have signed a new deal without it. Unlikely therefore that there would ever have been a bidding war. 

• Like 1

I cant understand that decision, no matter how you paint it, Norwich is the better move for him by far. Certainly hasnt got off to the best start with the Celtic fans, lower level of league, less chance to play, certainly not as good a platform to show what he can do compared to the EPL. It all seems very strange. Just shows hows fucking petulant Celtic are, "deals off!" - "But I want to join you now" "aye, we were just kidding we like you really". 

Supposedly he's chose celtic as that's the best place for him to develop,if that was the case then why not sign when he first had the chance.something stinks about this whole saga,it looks like norwich were just been used to get him a better offer from celtic.i really thought turnbull had his head screwed on but if he thinks he's going to progress under that braindeid scroat Lennon,then hell mend him.

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

Supposedly he's chose celtic as that's the best place for him to develop,if that was the case then why not sign when he first had the chance.something stinks about this whole saga,it looks like norwich were just been used to get him a better offer from celtic.i really thought turnbull had his head screwed on but if he thinks he's going to progress under that braindeid scroat Lennon,then hell mend him.

To be fair, if development was his goal, then surely staying at Motherwell and being the first name on the team sheet every week, playing in the same league, and playing against Celtic rather than with them would be more of a benefit.... 

Personally, its looking more like it really was all about the money. 

21 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its becoming very clear that there's a release clause in his contract probably based on a £3m bid. I'm speculating but suspect he wouldn't have signed a new deal without it. Unlikely therefore that there would ever have been a bidding war. 

Burrows made it clear we decided to deal at that price and listed a whole host of reasons why it would be too risky to hold out for a better bid. That doesn't happen If there's a release clause. 

If there was, and our initial statement was to soften the blow to the fans of losing our star player to 'them' then why not just come out and say Celtic have triggered his release and we have to let them talk to him. I think most would have begrudgingly accepted that. 

This is looking like a missed opportunity the longer it goes on. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

If he insisted on a release clause I’d be very surprised if he/ his agent would agree to it being £3 million. I also think that it would have been common knowledge by now.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic