The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Maybe MFC should turn around and say. “We’ve changed our mind. He’s not for sale anymore “. Now that could initiate a bidding war although highly unlikely. 

If I was writing this, that’s exactly what I’d do.  Classic cliffhanger for a second series. Netflix should be all over this.

I also fully expect to wake up tomorrow to find out that Turnbull never played for us in the first place. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pepper said:

The annoying thing is if we had played it right there could have been a proper bidding war.

Now all that happens is the player's terms improve with each offer and we get nowt more.  

Surely the last week has shown exactly the opposite, only Norwich were genuinely interested enough to put in a rival bid which tells you everything you need to know. Supporters are just so fickle in truth, he’s going to sign for Norwich and the board have played a blinder, looks like Celtic and its all their fault. 

We really need to look at moving on now, he’s never going to play another game for Motherwell so we take the money and look forward to the new season.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Surely the last week has shown exactly the opposite, only Norwich were genuinely interested enough to put in a rival bid which tells you everything you need to know. Supporters are just so fickle in truth, he’s going to sign for Norwich and the board have played a blinder, looks like Celtic and its all their fault. 

We really need to look at moving on now, he’s never going to play another game for Motherwell so we take the money and look forward to the new season.

We're hardly into the transfer window and have already secured bids from the Scottish premiership champions and English championship champions/Premier league new boys Norwich City.  That's a pretty good indicator there is strong interest out there. 

I think we have let Celtic dictate the terms of the transfer in respect to the timing and had the option to stay strong but didn't. And that's not to say I don't understand the reasons why we accepted their offer or the pressures on Burrows and the board to do so. 

The only sure thing is we will never know what could have been. 

Who is to say his agent isnt using Celtic to get more out of Norwich?

He may well sign for Celtic, but until he is paraded in a Celtic shirt Im not taking anything as read.

Wake me up when its over!

From what I'm hearing Norwich prepared to up the bid substantially. And another few championship plus premiership clubs too. We held all the aces and gave in to first larger bid. Take it Burrows cant play poker. If there was release clause it would be made known. If he does go to Celtic then good luck to him. They will also make a lot on resale. It dont matter to me whether he goes to any club in world. Cant understand why that matters? Celtic not direct competitors and if anything we can still see him play. Dissapointed we did not get full value achievable. We move on.

5 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

From what I'm hearing Norwich prepared to up the bid substantially. And another few championship plus premiership clubs too. We held all the aces and gave in to first larger bid. Take it Burrows cant play poker. If there was released clause it would be made known. If he does go to Celtic then good luck to him. They will also mame a lot on resale. It dont matter to me whether he goes to any club in world but disappointed we did not get full value achievable. We move on.

We have made it perfectly clear that he's for sale. If there was serious interest from down South, they should have made a bid. You say that we gave in to the first larger bid. You make it sound like we took a bid of £800k. We received and accepted a bid of £3m for a player that has made 30 first team appearances. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

From what I'm hearing Norwich prepared to up the bid substantially. And another few championship plus premiership clubs too. We held all the aces and gave in to first larger bid. Take it Burrows cant play poker. If there was release clause it would be made known. If he does go to Celtic then good luck to him. They will also make a lot on resale. It dont matter to me whether he goes to any club in world. Cant understand why that matters? Celtic not direct competitors and if anything we can still see him play. Dissapointed we did not get full value achievable. We move on.

So up the bid and the others put in offers, not happening so what’s stopping them ?

they have all had a week.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

So up the bid and the others put in offers, not happening so what’s stopping them ?

they have all had a week.

Celtic Bid was accepted by club and other interested clubs paying similar personal terms. So had to wait. Norwich ready to increase bid but told 3.25 was enough.

24 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Behave. Your nose will get bigger...

• Like 1

Okay,  so feel free to step in and tell me if I am talking rubbish because it is Friday night here in NZ and I have been drinking, but joining them, and they are a rival however you wish to spin it, is just sh*t when there are options to go elsewhere, as he will come back to show us how good he has become with monotonous regularity and there is something distasteful in hoping that a guy you loved watching turns out to be cr@p. We really just shouldn’t do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Celtic Bid was accepted by club and other interested clubs paying similar personal terms. So had to wait. Norwich ready to increase bid but told 3.25 was enough.

You're trying to tell us Norwich wanted to pay more but Motherwell said 3.25m was enough? :lol:

17 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

They didn't need to pay 1p more than 3.25 as club had made it known 3.25 was enough for Celtic.  Should have held out for more.

You, like myself and 99% of others on here, have no idea what Norwich offered or were told they'd need to pay. 

• David locked this topic