The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

12 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Just pointing out the possibility and windin up some that have been less than kind to Turnbull. A guy thats made us 3.25 mil. Maybe more.

Each to their own, if someone isn't cock-a-hoop (no pun intended) about DT moving to the East End of Glesga then that's understandable, no need to be a dick about it. Bad enough we lose him to Celtic without some of our own fans rubbing it in.

Once he pulls on the green and grey he's just another Celtic player. It's a sore one the now but he only played 30 games so it will be quickly forgotten. 

The bigger is the club demonstrating that they have bigger ambitions for the playing side than simply funding the non playing side. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Once he pulls on the green and grey he's just another Celtic player. It's a sore one the now but he only played 30 games so it will be quickly forgotten. 

The bigger is the club demonstrating that they have bigger ambitions for the playing side than simply funding the non playing side. 

Correct. No player bigger than the club. We have lost better players than David Turnbull in the past and we survived. It's not about him anymore.

30 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Each to their own, if someone isn't cock-a-hoop (no pun intended) about DT moving to the East End of Glesga then that's understandable, no need to be a dick about it. Bad enough we lose him to Celtic without some of our own fans rubbing it in.

True each to their own but no need for hatred or bad will. It's just another club.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Exactly hes an ex Motherwell player now don't. Mind you none of the Celtic fans seem to have picked up on the "next stage of my development comment" he doesn't see Celtic anything other than a stepping stone. They are just a bigger diddy club that feeds bigger clubs

• Haha 1

At the end of the day this whole saga has been a great deal for the club, there was never going to be a queue of EPL or EC clubs at Burrows office door wanting to sign Turnbull, a 19 year old who has played just over 30 1st team games.

Celtic were the only show in town and we managed to secure a £3.25 million fee from them which with add-ons and sell on percentages could potentially double that figure, so I can't understand why some people think that this is a bad move.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Exactly hes an ex Motherwell player now don't. Mind you none of the Celtic fans seem to have picked up on the "next stage of my development comment" he doesn't see Celtic anything other than a stepping stone. They are just a bigger diddy club that feeds bigger clubs

True that says a lot "next stage" hes not happy to stay at that level. Maybe top half epl team for him next year if all goes well. 

Talk of 25 mil for Tierney  so similar next year for dave wil do.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

At the end of the day this whole saga has been a great deal for the club, there was never going to be a queue of EPL or EC clubs at Burrows office door wanting to sign Turnbull, a 19 year old who has played just over 30 1st team games.

Celtic were the only show in town and we managed to secure a £3.25 million fee from them which with add-ons and sell on percentages could potentially double that figure, so I can't understand why some people think that this is a bad move.

Serious question. What is the sell on %?  Said before a good deal could become a great deal if a decent sell on.

10 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Serious question. What is the sell on %?  Said before a good deal could become a great deal if a decent sell on.

We have no idea, and likely never will until it happens. All we do know is Celtic don't usually do add-ons with other Scottish clubs, so if they've agreed one this time it's unlikely to be massive.

Gutted to see David leave us.  My wish now is the money from the sale is invested wisely which I am sure it will be and hopefully the gaffer gets some cash to spend as it must be gutting losing your best players every time you think you are getting somewhere.

1 minute ago, numpty said:

We have no idea, and likely never will until it happens. All we do know is Celtic don't usually do sell-ons to other Scottish clubs, so if they've agreed one this time it's unlikely to be massive.

That is my concern. Celtic have an operating model and sell ons are not usually part of that. Until someone from MFC confirms that we have some sort of sell on ( even if the exact % figure is a state secret) I will seriously doubt one exists. Time will tell I guess. 

The Herald and the Sun mentioned “a substantial sell on” as part of the Norwich offer. Might have missed it, but I have seen no such mention regarding any Celtic offer. And the Club were quick enough to tell us of sell on clauses for the likes of Marvin Johnson and.... I think....Cedric Kipre.

I still think £3m is a great return for Turnbull though.

Soon as they leave I have no interest as they don't play for us anymore I do wish Mr Turnbull all the best cause if it wasn't for his goals last season we would have been right in the shitter!

We move on and I hope the money that's put back into the squad is spent on quality not quantity!No loans from other Spl clubs.

I swear to god if there is no sell on clause then it's a bit of bad business tbh there will be another melt down on the forum lol but I am sure and hope Burrows and co were savvy enough to do it.

15 minutes ago, dennyc said:

That is my concern. Celtic have an operating model and sell ons are not usually part of that. Until someone from MFC confirms that we have some sort of sell on ( even if the exact % figure is a state secret) I will seriously doubt one exists. Time will tell I guess. 

The Herald and the Sun mentioned “a substantial sell on” as part of the Norwich offer. Might have missed it, but I have seen no such mention regarding any Celtic offer. And the Club were quick enough to tell us of sell on clauses for the likes of Marvin Johnson and.... I think....Cedric Kipre.

I still think £3m is a great return for Turnbull though.

15% sell on clause. Calm your jets.

5 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

15% sell on clause. Calm your jets.

Nothing to do with jets. Just a perfectly valid question. 15% is excellent. I’ll take it you know that for a fact so I’m delighted with the overall package. 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

If we have a sell-on clause then I don’t see him as just another Celtic player. If he smashes it at Celtic we stand to rake it in again when he’s sold.

Some of our support are absolutely miles out.

David Turnbull is a Motherwell fan. He signed an extension with us to ensure the club would benefit from his sale instead of doing a Hastie.

Ok he has moved to Celtic.

However, he has done so in the knowledge that a couple good seasons he will move on and our club will earn another significant windfall.

He will undoubtedly go on to be one of the best talents to come out of Scotland in recent years.

We should be delighted that he is one of us and that he got his start at Fir Park.

It wont be nice to see him come back to FirPark in the green and white. But we need to suck it up and respect what he has done for us.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Some of our support are absolutely miles out.

David Turnbull is a Motherwell fan. He signed an extension with us to ensure the club would benefit from his sale instead of doing a Hastie.

Ok he has moved to Celtic.

However, he has done so in the knowledge that a couple good seasons he will move on and our club will earn another significant windfall.

He will undoubtedly go on to be one of the best talents to come out of Scotland in recent years.

We should be delighted that he is one of us and that he got his start at Fir Park.

It wont be nice to see him come back to FirPark in the green and white. But we need to suck it up and respect what he has done for us.

My thoughts exactly

all the best DT 

• Like 2

Find it very odd why it hasn’t been announced yet especially with the leaked pictures and all that nonsense. Hope it hasn’t taken another turn and he’s changed his mind again. You just never know but wherever he does go I’ll be cheering him on and that includes even Celtic who I absolutely despise probably even more than my hate for rangers.

26 minutes ago, Larkhall Dosser said:

On that Kerrydale Street theyre saying that the scanner at Ross Hall where they do there medicals was broken and that he had to go down to Manchester to use the scanner down there.

Hahahahahaha 

6 hours ago, Blakey said:

Correct. No player bigger than the club. We have lost better players than David Turnbull in the past and we survived. It's not about him anymore.

How many better players?

• David locked this topic