The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

6 hours ago, robsterwood said:

I am sick of losing players after half a dozen good games. Hastie Turnbull. Moult Johnston Moult. Kipre.Aldred. Cadden .  I cant explain to my son why we got to sell all our best players when his old firm supporting pals dont. Even he cant be bothered going as not interested anymore. Even guys of 16 yet to play are sold.. Yes football is meant to be about putting best most entertaining team on the park for the fans. Motherwell missing this point.  Any new players coming in that look good will be off after 6 good games. I probably won't be back much next season. And some mates also not going back. Cant see us getting new fans either. 

I'd hate for anyone, including you,  to buy or renew their season ticket under false pretences.  We've always been a selling club and always will be.  Other clubs are in exactly the same boat.  At the age of 9 (showing my age here) I was heartbroken to see one of my boyhood heroes, Bobby Roberts, leave for Leicester City. My father gave me short shrift and said that if I couldn't accept that then I should give up football alltogether or go to Ibrox or Parkhead (he wouldn't help me to go to those venues and I'd have to do it under my own steam).   I decided for better or for worse to stick with the Well and I've done so for a further 55 years or more.   Since then I've seen scores of our players move on including : Joe McBride,  Dixie Deans, Keith McRae and  Tam Forsyth; and thats all before 1970.  I could go on ad nauseum. David Turnbull is one of the best players I've ever seen in claret and amber but he'll not be the last to leave to better himself.  I don't care.  The club is bigger than any one player and if you can't accept that then perhaps its time to think long and hard about whether MFC is the club for you.  Nothing wrong in deciding it isn't.  We'll move on whatever.         

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd hate for anyone, including you,  to buy or renew their season ticket under false pretences.  We've always been a selling club and always will be.

Nobody disputes that, it just seems that for whatever reason right now, we're selling everyone at the same time, even hot prospects who've rarely or never played in the first team, when we don't have any particular financial need to do so. And while it would have been very easy to be excited about watching David Turnbull for a bit longer, it's much harder to be excited about starting the season with half a team of virtual unknowns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, numpty said:

Nobody disputes that, it just seems that for whatever reason right now, we're selling everyone at the same time, even hot prospects who've rarely or never played in the first team, when we don't have any particular financial need to do so. And while it would have been very easy to be excited about watching David Turnbull for a bit longer, it's much harder to be excited about starting the season with half a team of virtual unknowns.

Agree completely with you. My 8 year olds into other sports now as fed up loosing our  best players. I dont blame him. Kids are generally honest. Your right its sell sell sell. Even though we are financially secure.

34 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd hate for anyone, including you,  to buy or renew their season ticket under false pretences.  We've always been a selling club and always will be.  Other clubs are in exactly the same boat.  At the age of 9 (showing my age here) I was heartbroken to see one of my boyhood heroes, Bobby Roberts, leave for Leicester City. My father gave me short shrift and said that if I couldn't accept that then I should give up football alltogether or go to Ibrox or Parkhead (he wouldn't help me to go to those venues and I'd have to do it under my own steam).   I decided for better or for worse to stick with the Well and I've done so for a further 55 years or more.   Since then I've seen scores of our players move on including : Joe McBride,  Dixie Deans, Keith McRae and  Tam Forsyth; and thats all before 1970.  I could go on ad nauseum. David Turnbull is one of the best players I've ever seen in claret and amber but he'll not be the last to leave to better himself.  I don't care.  The club is bigger than any one player and if you can't accept that then perhaps its time to think long and hard about whether MFC is the club for you.  Nothing wrong in deciding it isn't.  We'll move on whatever.         

I am thinking hard about it. Totally fed up with loosing anyone that shows ability. Respect to you!

Just now, numpty said:

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing an influx of new players like Long, Hylton and Sloth turn out for us. Don't forget Moult, Johnson and Ainsworth were once virtual unknowns too. Out of interest who have we sold that we didn't need to do so? Remember that our legacy debt is only now being cleared.

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing an influx of new players like Long, Hylton and Sloth turn out for us. Don't forget Moult, Johnson and Ainsworth were once virtual unknowns too. Out of interest who have we sold that we didn't need to do so? Remember that our legacy debt is only now being cleared.

Sorry to be negative but if long hylron and sloth are good they will be off by next transfer window. If not the turgid goofball goes on.

1 hour ago, numpty said:

Very much this^

Felt like the first time in decades we had a a squad worth developing, at a club who were equally in best financial postion in many decades,  yes we had debt, but on very favourable terms, that most trading businesses would love to have access to.

but the squad has been totally decimated, even the next phase of kids has been broken up

we've not always been a selling club, the only success in most of our lifetimes came from allowing a manager to build a squad season to season for success, then Bosman reset that and it felt like last season was the first opportunity since that the club had worked to a position to build on, it will not hapen very often as the model includes offering players opportunity to relaunch career, so can only build core from within

but it seems every single influencer in the club and society are chasing the income over the team capability, I'm sure they do it in good faith and with good will, but I just wish they hadn't been desperate to sell on the kids

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Just bein honest. If this policy continues of sell sell sell and neglect team i won't be there much next season.

Don't go then!  You don't need to tell us you're not going every other post.  Running out of hankies.

• Like 1

Am I the only one concerned that the silence coming out of Fir Park about the Turnbull move is deafening?

We get a quick quote a week or so ago from Flow aboit us accepting a bid from Celtic, NOTHING about any sell on clause. Then zilch! Every other transfer has had details or quotes about Sell On clauses and Us protecting future investments etc but absolutely fuck all here apart from a quick tweet from Flow's pal commending him as some kind of hero, and a few made up "reports" from our gutter press

What is the true deal we have ended up with here?

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

Am I the only one concerned that the silence coming out of Fir Park about the Turnbull move is deafening?

As Fizoxy says, the deal has not been completed yet.  Until such times as it is the club should not comment. 

2 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Just bein honest. If this policy continues of sell sell sell and neglect team i won't be there much next season.

That maybe no a bad thing. Take your laddie to another spl cub that doesnt have to sell their best player to survive, wins trophys, play in front of 60,000 every week and have just signed our best player. We probably will not even notice you are not going to our games anymore.

22 minutes ago, stv said:

That maybe no a bad thing. Take your laddie to another spl cub that doesnt have to sell their best player to survive, wins trophys, play in front of 60,000 every week and have just signed our best player. We probably will not even notice you are not going to our games anymore.

Don't take it personal everyones allowed an  opinion.

42 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

That's exactly what well should have done. Boy had 2 years contract.

Do you know for certain what his enhanced contract terms were? Or in absence of that if any verbal assurances were given to the player that if a bid of xyz came in he would be free to talk to them?

In an earlier post you convey that you are not going to renew your season ticket purely to punish the club for letting him go. By all means your right but not the action of a supporter when there is a very good chance that there is nothing the club could have done to keep him.

3 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Do you know for certain what his enhanced contract terms were? Or in absence of that if any verbal assurances were given to the player that if a bid of xyz came in he would be free to talk to them?

In an earlier post you convey that you are not going to renew your season ticket purely to punish the club for letting him go. By all means your right but not the action of a supporter when there is a very good chance that there is nothing the club could have done to keep him.

I'm not punishing club. I will be back at games. Even the time we escaped relegation was exciting even though he football's not always great.

Good luck to David anyway.  Theres a Polish striker in  Serie A Krzysztof Piątek was bought for €4 mil and sold to A.c. Milan for €19 mil in half a season . Now worth €36 mil

I'm sure Genoa has sell on. Anyone know for sure about the sell on for Turnbull?

Shows how fee can rise.

• David locked this topic