The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

3 hours ago, postiejim said:

As long as you agree with the “personalities” you’re opinions will be fine. 

Would those "personalities" be the ones  who make deliberately and sometimes repeated attention seeking posts who get miffed when they get called out for them?

Like ones whose 7 year olds that turn into 8 year olds in the space of a couple of posts? Or the ones who tried to get away posting under different names, those kind of "personalities"?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Would those "personalities" be the ones  who make deliberately and sometimes repeated attention seeking posts who get miffed when they get called out for them?

Like ones whose 7 year olds that turn into 8 year olds in the space of a couple of posts? Or the ones who tried to get away posting under different names, those kind of "personalities"?

Andy ,I was thinking more along the lines  of the ones who ridicule or belittle other posters if the dare to criticise the party line. Who take themselves way to serious in what is a forum for serious discussion yes , but also surly a bit of banter .

This used to be a great fans forum , but almost all the good posters have left or rarely comment ,you’ve got to ask why.  

And if your not happy with me Andy and you think that I’m just an clown and the forum would be better without the likes of myself then just ban me from using the forum , I certainly won’t be offended.  

And as for posting under two different names , that was done for a laugh ,a wind up ,petes sake nobody was hurt or injured . Im sorry really really sorry forgive me , I won’t do it again. Promise.

11 hours ago, Brazilian said:

Very much this^

Felt like the first time in decades we had a a squad worth developing, at a club who were equally in best financial postion in many decades,  yes we had debt, but on very favourable terms, that most trading businesses would love to have access to.

but the squad has been totally decimated, even the next phase of kids has been broken up

we've not always been a selling club, the only success in most of our lifetimes came from allowing a manager to build a squad season to season for success, then Bosman reset that and it felt like last season was the first opportunity since that the club had worked to a position to build on, it will not hapen very often as the model includes offering players opportunity to relaunch career, so can only build core from within

but it seems every single influencer in the club and society are chasing the income over the team capability, I'm sure they do it in good faith and with good will, but I just wish they hadn't been desperate to sell on the kids

Well said that man, I would have a beer with you anytime . 

11 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Just bein honest. If this policy continues of sell sell sell and neglect team i won't be there much next season.

If so could you promise not to post on this forum also.  It is depressing stuff. You are a very sensitive soul.....

Like Kmcalpin I have followed Motherwell for as long as I remember and whilst I am not as old as he is :-) I would not dream of supporting another club or not going to see Motherwell. I don’t like it but selling our better players has always been a thing. 

I still believe that selling Turnbull for £3.25m + add ons will prove to be a bargain for Celtic. That said the club could not gamble with that kind of money on offer. Knowing our luck he would get an injury and we could be accepting a lot less. 

But I do agree with Brazilian. Assuming everything is signed and sealed then for the near future we should not be in a rush to sell ANY of our promising youngsters. I accept you cannot force people to sign contracts. I do not know the background to the McKinstry move, but £400k (potentially) is still a lot of money to MFC and this was before Hastie and Turnbull so could be understood. This lad that is said to be interesting West Ham and other premiership clubs  (McAleer ?) let him develop like Turnbull with us. 

We have a fanatical fan base but it is small. We cannot run on gate receipts so every year we need to finish mid table and have a cup run or sell a player to break even. The way it is and always will be unless Jeff Bezos takes a liking to MFC. 

• Like 1

Andy ,I was thinking more along the lines  of the ones who ridicule or belittle other posters if the dare to criticise the party line. Who take themselves way to serious in what is a forum for serious discussion yes , but also surly a bit of banter .
This used to be a great fans forum , but almost all the good posters have left or rarely comment ,you’ve got to ask why.  
And if your not happy with me Andy and you think that I’m just an clown and the forum would be better without the likes of myself then just ban me from using the forum , I certainly won’t be offended.  
And as for posting under two different names , that was done for a laugh ,a wind up ,petes sake nobody was hurt or injured . Im sorry really really sorry forgive me , I won’t do it again. Promise.

Absolutely don't think you're a clown Jim and certainly don't want you to stop posting. I quite often disagree with you but your posts do give a different perspective and balance so there's generally always something to be taken from them.

But I will confess you hit a raw nerve with the inferred cleek or pack hunting reference. That accusation has come up occasionally and it does my box. I honestly just dont see it.

Perhaps like your view on the seriousness of the forums purpose I tend to take the same view that posts on the board are what they are. If people disagree or call others out that's as much as they are doing. If they agree, they agree. I just don't get the idea at all that you peopke need to saying certain things to try to gain some form of acceptance.

As regards the forum, we are where we are. There are dozens more places where people can offer a view from when we first started. It's up to everyone how they feel about it but I think we do OK all things considered.

Now away and get that season ticket for yourself sorted ;)

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I still believe that selling Turnbull for £3.25m + add ons will prove to be a bargain for Celtic. That said the club could not gamble with that kind of money on offer. Knowing our luck he would get an injury and we could be accepting a lot less.

Captain Oats makes a very valid point on P &B about this to put the £3.25m into perspective.  Our entire turnover in 2016-17 was £4.18m.  Next year (year ended May 2020) our turnover will be approximately £8.0m, the highest by far in our entire history.  Of all the clubs "interested" only 2 were interested enough to meet our valuation.  

NB:  no offence taken about age Iain.   

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Think some on here dislike anything negative said about the club. Gets tiresome at times.Also. It's not unheard of to have more than child in a family. 

Once again I am staggered by the negativity (I should not be. I have been reading this forum long enough).  

The reality is that we have smashed our record transfer fee out the park on a player that is only 19 years old. Why has this happened? Did we just happen to strike it lucky with Turnbull,  a Motherwell fan and local lad.  To a very small degree, yes because he undoubtedly has natural ability but Turnbull is a product of decisions made some years ago now by the Board and Alan Burrows to invest in youth development. He has been nurtured through a system that allows good young talent to fulfil their potential. This is something we should be congratulating the club on.  My opinion is that we are ahead of most, if not all, clubs in Scotland in this regard. Stephen Craigan must take a lot of credit too. This is something we should be celebrating, not criticising.

Regarding the player himself, the money involved in his move to Celtic will be life changing. He is 19 years old with huge decisions to make about his future. Let's cut him some slack and just enjoy watching him develop, knowing that he is a Motherwell produced Motherwell fan, who has come good. The hypocrites on here who would no doubt sell their Grannies for a lot less, get the chance to take the theoretical moral high ground because they have not been successful enough to be making these decisions for themselves. I think you have to have walked in Turnbull's shoes before you can start spouting forth about his decision making.

Like all Motherwell fans, I will be walking out of Firpark gutted if he is scoring for fun against us next season, but that's football. Let's enjoy the benefits that the transfer money will bring, be appreciative of Motherwell's forward thinking as we enjoy watching the young players break into the first team and take some pride in watching David Turnbulls career take off if he genuinely does have the potential we all think he has.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Think some on here dislike anything negative said about the club. Gets tiresome at times.Also. It's not unheard of to have more than child in a family. 

Safe to say most don't like conjecture and hyperbole dressed up as facts. That gets called out far more than negativity towards the club. It is important that it is distinguished and continued to be called out. I'm sure you will agree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In an ideal world we’d have kept DT for another season and sold for double next summer, but reality is never ideal. I don’t blame the club for taking the money, again in an ideal world we could’ve held out longer and for more but 99% of us plebs have no idea of what has gone on behind the scenes. 

The thing that really bothers me about this saga is that he’s away to them. When the Norwich bid came in I was probably as excited as I have been about any potential Motherwell signing. But regardless of whether he plays one game or a thousand games for Celtic, he’ll forever be known and associated as “ex-hoops midfielder”, etc, as others have previously pointed out. My rational self tells me that this is not an important thing in the big picture as DT has more than looked after the club and will always be one of our own, but until we pump them at Fir Park this season I don’t think I’ll be able to shake this feeling of being absolutely gutted. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brazilian said:

Very much this^

Felt like the first time in decades we had a a squad worth developing, at a club who were equally in best financial postion in many decades,  yes we had debt, but on very favourable terms, that most trading businesses would love to have access to.

but the squad has been totally decimated, even the next phase of kids has been broken up

we've not always been a selling club, the only success in most of our lifetimes came from allowing a manager to build a squad season to season for success, then Bosman reset that and it felt like last season was the first opportunity since that the club had worked to a position to build on, it will not hapen very often as the model includes offering players opportunity to relaunch career, so can only build core from within

but it seems every single influencer in the club and society are chasing the income over the team capability, I'm sure they do it in good faith and with good will, but I just wish they hadn't been desperate to sell on the kids

100%. 

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

Personally i’m all for decent debate, I do find however one or two posters only post negatives about the club and can’t seem to find anything positive.

5 minutes ago, walking down the Fir Park said:

From what I’ve heard Turnbull has not been paraded as a Celtic player yet because a deal has not been agreed between Motherwell and Celtic despite agreement being made between player and Celtic 

I assumed the clubs had agreed the fee already, otherwise the player wouldn't have been allowed to speak to Celtic?

1 minute ago, David said:

I assumed the clubs had agreed the fee already, otherwise the player wouldn't have been allowed to speak to Celtic?

I thought that’s why we started down this road. Although I think the wording was “a fee” which is possibly different from terms?  But you would think it would have been sensible to have terms all agreed prior to them moving onto personal negotiations

7 minutes ago, David said:

Again from what I’ve heard an initial offer from Celtic was agreed, as Motherwell media release originally stated.  After Turnbull turned down initial terms Celtic withdraw the offer.  Then terms were agreed between Celtic and Turnbull, with Celtic assuming the original offer to Motherwell was sufficient.  Motherwell have effectively said naw let’s negotiate again.

this has been further supported by it being muted by fir park officials that they were supposed Turnbull was at Parkhead for medical when no agreement between clubs was in place.

it sounds all very cloak and dagger  and I think the fact Turnbull has not been announced suggested something isn’t right 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy_P said:

Is it not just the case that a piece of equipment used in the medical wasn't operational at the time required?  And that's the same reason the announcement of our own latest signing has been delayed?

Could it not be case we are playing hard ball with Celtic waiting to get what we want and until then we can’t sign the players we want to.

1 minute ago, walking down the Fir Park said:

Could it not be case we are playing hard ball with Celtic waiting to get what we want and until then we can’t sign the players we want to.

It could.  Or it could just be there is no subterfuge involved whatsoever and it was an issue with the medical.

alanburrowstweet.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if its been posted earler, but Alan Burrows said on Twitter that there was an issue at Ross Hall and the medical is taking place in Manchester.

A similar issue is preventing us getting a signing over the line.

...Andy P beat me to it

18 hours ago, numpty said:

Nobody disputes that, it just seems that for whatever reason right now, we're selling everyone at the same time, even hot prospects who've rarely or never played in the first team, when we don't have any particular financial need to do so. And while it would have been very easy to be excited about watching David Turnbull for a bit longer, it's much harder to be excited about starting the season with half a team of virtual unknowns.

We do in effect support a balance sheet along with 90% of the rest of Scottish clubs its a model that has remarkably kept punters coming back but does little to attract new and floating fans and never will do. If you told golfing fans only two players would win the majors for the next forty years support would  plummet from current levels.

• David locked this topic