The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

4 hours ago, star sail said:

Once again I am staggered by the negativity (I should not be. I have been reading this forum long enough).  

The reality is that we have smashed our record transfer fee out the park on a player that is only 19 years old. Why has this happened? Did we just happen to strike it lucky with Turnbull,  a Motherwell fan and local lad.  To a very small degree, yes because he undoubtedly has natural ability but Turnbull is a product of decisions made some years ago now by the Board and Alan Burrows to invest in youth development. He has been nurtured through a system that allows good young talent to fulfil their potential. This is something we should be congratulating the club on.  My opinion is that we are ahead of most, if not all, clubs in Scotland in this regard. Stephen Craigan must take a lot of credit too. This is something we should be celebrating, not criticising.

Regarding the player himself, the money involved in his move to Celtic will be life changing. He is 19 years old with huge decisions to make about his future. Let's cut him some slack and just enjoy watching him develop, knowing that he is a Motherwell produced Motherwell fan, who has come good. The hypocrites on here who would no doubt sell their Grannies for a lot less, get the chance to take the theoretical moral high ground because they have not been successful enough to be making these decisions for themselves. I think you have to have walked in Turnbull's shoes before you can start spouting forth about his decision making.

Like all Motherwell fans, I will be walking out of Firpark gutted if he is scoring for fun against us next season, but that's football. Let's enjoy the benefits that the transfer money will bring, be appreciative of Motherwell's forward thinking as we enjoy watching the young players break into the first team and take some pride in watching David Turnbulls career take off if he genuinely does have the potential we all think he has.

For the average punter what will be the benefits of the transfer money? It won't realise players much better than we have cos these players have a price tag. It will help develop youth but thats getting to the stage we don't even get their benefit before they are sold and balance sheet improves. Im not decrying the club or the board Im just telling it like it is. The money won't make much difference to what we see on the park.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

For the average punter what will be the benefits of the transfer money? It won't realise players much better than we have cos these players have a price tag. It will help develop youth but thats getting to the stage we don't even get their benefit before they are sold and balance sheet improves. Im not decrying the club or the board Im just telling it like it is. The money won't make much difference to what we see on the park.

Hopefully one of the benefits will be further money spent on elements of the stadium, a new PA system would be a start. On the field we don’t know at this point, with the debt paid off we need to see if the playing budget will now be raised.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

Hopefully one of the benefits will be further money spent on elements of the stadium. A new PA system would be a start.

Get the money spent on the team I don't go to FP to sit and look about the stadium I'm more concerned with what I'm watching on the pitch .Very interested to who is next through the Fir Park door I think it will need to be somebody who excites the support but I won't hold my breathe 

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Get the money spent on the team I don't go to FP to sit and look about the stadium I'm more concerned with what I'm watching on the pitch .Very interested to who is next through the Fir Park door I think it will need to be somebody who excites the support but I won't hold my breathe 

All stadiums need investment, otherwise you end up with grounds like Cliftonhill.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

I think the PA will come under some H&S issue if it's not resolved. I would hope the boss can be given some money on someone he thinks who could put us up a level.

22 minutes ago, DunnyMFC said:

I think the PA will come under some H&S issue if it's not resolved. I would hope the boss can be given some money on someone he thinks who could put us up a level. 

Is there not another (very loud) PA for safety announcements?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

As Fizoxy says, the deal has not been completed yet.  Until such times as it is the club should not comment. 

Ah my bad, I just assumed it was complete after him getting paraded round the tattiedome

6 hours ago, walking down the Fir Park said:

Again from what I’ve heard an initial offer from Celtic was agreed, as Motherwell media release originally stated.  After Turnbull turned down initial terms Celtic withdraw the offer.  Then terms were agreed between Celtic and Turnbull, with Celtic assuming the original offer to Motherwell was sufficient.  Motherwell have effectively said naw let’s negotiate again.

this has been further supported by it being muted by fir park officials that they were supposed Turnbull was at Parkhead for medical when no agreement between clubs was in place.

it sounds all very cloak and dagger  and I think the fact Turnbull has not been announced suggested something isn’t right 

:lol:

I don't believe this for a second but if we've actually went "Naw, it's £4 million now for your cheek" then that's quite fantastic.

10 minutes ago, Yassin said:

:lol:

I don't believe this for a second but if we've actually went "Naw, it's £4 million now for your cheek" then that's quite fantastic.

I also think it’s total nonsense, there is no way the club would behave that way.

Where was he paraded round the tattiedome ???

The "photo" of him in his Smellic strip looks like a clear photoshop effort to me.

Its a picture of a strip with DT's head stuck on top.     Mibbees there is something funny going on but I doubt it.

21 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Why not 

Maybe because Scottish Football is utterly pointless, buggered if i know why im now in my 43rd season. If we are ever to win a cup again we basically need to build that Cup winning team in one close season because as soon as we discover a diamond we need to sell, not always the clubs fault clauses in contracts will dictate. The chances of us recruiting a cup winning team in one close season is virtually ni. We with many other clubs are literally playing to make up numbers , only die hards think thats a product worth paying for and watching.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Maybe because Scottish Football is utterly pointless, buggered if i know why im now in my 43rd season. If we are ever to win a cup again we basically need to build that Cup winning team in one close season because as soon as we discover a diamond we need to sell, not always the clubs fault clauses in contracts will dictate. The chances of us recruiting a cup winning team in one close season is virtually ni. We with many other clubs are literally playing to make up numbers , only die hards think thats a product worth paying for and watching.

Was more asking Dunny but I respect your points. However being a Motherwell fan it’s about being there “through thick and thin” and being in love with the football club and not just being there for success. If you want success you may aswell support one of the ugly sisters.

1 minute ago, supermarv said:

Was more asking Dunny but I respect your points. However being a Motherwell fan it’s about being there “through thick and thin” and being in love with the football club and not just being there for success. If you want success you may aswell support one of the ugly sisters.

i merely point out that most fans are not interested in Thin and Thin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, real dosser said:

The "photo" of him in his Smellic strip looks like a clear photoshop effort to me.

Its a picture of a strip with DT's head stuck on top.     Mibbees there is something funny going on but I doubt it.

Again, thats my fault for not looking. Was just told my a Mhanky Mob fan I work with that Lennon was on SSN, Turnbull ws having his medical and paraded round in his shirt! Assumed it was a done deal and couldnt be fucked bothering to look lol

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

Again, thats my fault for not looking. Was just told my a Mhanky Mob fan I work with that Lennon was on SSN, Turnbull ws having his medical and paraded round in his shirt! Assumed it was a done deal and couldnt be fucked bothering to look lol

Is this not racist sectarian bile? What's it take to get banned?

15 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

If so could you promise not to post on this forum also.  It is depressing stuff. You are a very sensitive soul.....

Like Kmcalpin I have followed Motherwell for as long as I remember and whilst I am not as old as he is :-) I would not dream of supporting another club or not going to see Motherwell. I don’t like it but selling our better players has always been a thing. 

I still believe that selling Turnbull for £3.25m + add ons will prove to be a bargain for Celtic. That said the club could not gamble with that kind of money on offer. Knowing our luck he would get an injury and we could be accepting a lot less. 

But I do agree with Brazilian. Assuming everything is signed and sealed then for the near future we should not be in a rush to sell ANY of our promising youngsters. I accept you cannot force people to sign contracts. I do not know the background to the McKinstry move, but £400k (potentially) is still a lot of money to MFC and this was before Hastie and Turnbull so could be understood. This lad that is said to be interesting West Ham and other premiership clubs  (McAleer ?) let him develop like Turnbull with us. 

We have a fanatical fan base but it is small. We cannot run on gate receipts so every year we need to finish mid table and have a cup run or sell a player to break even. The way it is and always will be unless Jeff Bezos takes a liking to MFC. 

I will post as much as I want ok? Im entitled to opinion. 

3 hours ago, real dosser said:

Racist sectarian bile posts. Why's this not banned? As a Catholic Motherwell fan im offended by this. Can moderator take action? 

7 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Racist sectarian bile posts. Why's this not banned? As a Catholic Motherwell fan im offended by this. Can moderator take action? 

I’m also a catholic and I don’t see the reference to sectarianism in this at all??

7 hours ago, robsterwood said:

If you're troubled by anything posted then report the post and the staff will look into it. Asking for bans and suchlike in the discussion itself won't get you anywhere, unless it's just a reaction you're looking for.

12 hours ago, real dosser said:

Mibbees there is something funny going on but I doubt it.

As mental as it may sound to folk like us, I wonder if the lad maybe doesn't fancy any move at all just now? 

Sometimes it's easy to forget that he's only 19, and is still a kid. Maybe he's not keen on moving away from family, or the pressure of being a Celtic player either? It's practically unheard of for a player at a club like ours to not just knock back the kind of dough Celtic were offering, but also to then go and knock back a team in the Premiership?

Something seems a bit off about it all.

• David locked this topic