The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

1 minute ago, Inthebasement said:

Why is everyone assuming we will fold and embarrass the club - we won't. 

Not assuming that but it’s still a possibility. I’m hoping it kills the deal and that he can stay with us then get a better deal or at worst still leave but get a better deal. 

Seen some nonsense going around that Celtic are asking to pay in installments based on appearances. That should be a complete non-starter. Whether or not the issue with Turnbull's medical is serious or not, we should not be the ones taking on the risk that he gets further injured when he isn't our player.

What happens if he gets a totally unrelated injury? That should never be our problem.

If the club are not honest with us about"finding a solution"to this screams just trying to get him on the cheap it's starting to look pathetic it must be something major to go to these lengths.

We don't need to sell we shall still tick along just fine.

Couple of thoughts. 

Turnbull has played pretty much every game since October so I can only assume it's not an injury but something that looks like it could become a problem. Any player can get injured at any time though so we shouldn't be entertaining a discount on that basis. I find myself wondering if the Norwich deal fell through on this basis rather than him choosing Celtic.  

However if we keep him, do we then send him for any treatment/operation required and then see no benefit as we sell him in January? 

My fear is that this drags on through the summer and affects our preparation for the new season....

Yes they already put him in spotlight and some have been less than complimentary about wage demands. Maybe time to stop this deal rather than entertain any pay per play deal. As one guy mentioned any player can get injured anytime. Yes also for fan owned club we know nothin. 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Seen some nonsense going around that Celtic are asking to pay in installments based on appearances.

Unless the installments are £2.5 million now and £2.5 million in January, I agree.

If they want to play silly buggers we should be charging them a premium for a player who has had zero injury issues since he was 8 years old.

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Unless the installments are £2.5 million now and £2.5 million in January, I agree.

If they want to play silly buggers we should be charging them a premium for a player who has had zero injury issues since he was 8 years old.

Some social media rubbish getting chucked about that Celtic have offered a “£750k take it or leave it deal” with mixed add ons. If that’s anywhere close to true fly the boy to Belfast tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, CSmith said:

Some social media rubbish getting chucked about that Celtic have offered a “£750k take it or leave it deal” with mixed add ons. If that’s anywhere close to true fly the boy to Belfast tomorrow.

No chance that's what they are offering. What a brass neck if that's the case.

While not agreeing with original decision to sell him to Celtic. I respect the choice made and have no complaints about how the board have handled this as it has dragged on. However, if they do not resolve this by tomorrow then my opinion will change drastically. They best show they have some balls and just tell celtic “full amount, original terms. I’ll give you 1 hour to decide.  Any answer other than yes means Motherwell will not be selling Turnbull to Celtic.” Then it’s all over and done with one way or the other but it has to stop and no reason for it not to end tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

How does it look as if we are bending over?! What pish. 

Agree, no sign of that so far.  Let’s hope that’s true tomorrow.  I see no reason why it shouldn’t be. I would expect the board’s reaction to be the same as the fans, sorry, OWNERS !

A lot of assumptions being made here based on  no credible information or quotes from anyone. Particularly since we now know the papers regularly just lift shite off of forums and twitter.

If the “medical issue” is going to require an operation or him being out for months, there is no way Celtic take on that risk. Particularly since he won’t be going anywhere any time soon. 

If it is a relatively small issue then any discussions are probably about structuring the payments/add ons or insurance technicalities.

It is also possible that this is all 100% bollocks too.

22 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

A lot of assumptions being made here based on  no credible information or quotes from anyone. Particularly since we now know the papers regularly just lift shite off of forums and twitter.

If the “medical issue” is going to require an operation or him being out for months, there is no way Celtic take on that risk. Particularly since he won’t be going anywhere any time soon. 

If it is a relatively small issue then any discussions are probably about structuring the payments/add ons or insurance technicalities.

It is also possible that this is all 100% bollocks too.

True we know nothing. If anything its insurance issues .

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

How does it look as if we are bending over?! What pish. 

It looks like we're bending over by simply negotiating, that would be some people's opinion. And the newspapers are reporting that the two clubs are negotiating.

I'm coming round to the idea that we simply say "£3m plus or fuck off? Simple choice...

4 hours ago, El Grew said:

I take no pleasure in this but I said a few weeks ago that the amateurs running our club would fail to get Turnbull's true value. It looks as though Celtic are seeking to shaft us and we are bending over. Sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I would have thought it better to wait until we know the actual details rather than what’s written on social media. Again no idea why this “amateur” line is been pushed again.

• Confused 1

The issue now becomes fan perception. There is no doubt that this has dragged on for far too long. Couple that with the silence from the club and now the reports in the media, it starts to look like we’re being dictated and “bullied” which doesn’t sit well with the fans.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I would have thought it better to wait until we know the actual details rather than what’s written on social media. Again no idea why this “amateur” line is been pushed again.

So no boot licking from you if it's announced as an undisclosed fee? 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic