The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Id be getting the boy a 2nd opinion before putting the boy under the knife.....

I’d love for a second and/or 3rd opinion to give him clean bill of health. Now wouldn’t that be embarrassing. That would just be icing on the cake. Feel sorry for the lad but Im confident he will get a better deal come January or maybe even this window 

Great news. We'll done to the fans club for telling Celtic where to stick their re-negotiated offer. Look out for the flak this will generate in the Sun and Rancid. Look forward to hearing how we are the bad guys for wanting to keep OUR PLAYER.

Roll on next summer when David has returned and is going to England for £5 million

• Like 1

Poor Turnbull, his head must be spinning. Fingers crossed the surgery is minor, he is back playing in no time and this saga does nothing to depreciate his transfer value. 

Difficult time for the club too, I imagine we were ready to execute plans as soon as the money arrived in the bank. Do we now put one or two proposed summer signings on the back burner? 

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Can't get onto the official site, anyone able to copy and paste?

David Turnbull is to remain a Motherwell player, with a proposed move to Celtic FC no longer taking place.

An agreement was reached with the Glasgow club on 12 June, subject to the player agreeing personal terms, which he did, and undergoing a medical.

During that medical process, an issue was identified that will require David to have immediate preventative surgery and subsequent rehabilitation.

Celtic were still keen to sign the player despite this matter arising. But having presented revised transfer terms to Motherwell, the clubs could not reach an agreement.

David will now remain at Fir Park and will shortly have an operation which will rule him out of any football for an extended period, the exact length to be determined following surgery.

We will give David all the support he needs during this process. We wish him the best with his procedure and rehabilitation, and look forward to watching him play in claret and amber again in the near future.

6 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

I would hope the Club had, before putting out their statement.

Paraphrasing.      Didn’t they just say they would take care of him through any surgery and get him back to 100%?  So then first step would be to confirm surgery is required. 

Sounds like "the amateurs" running our club refused to be steamrollered by Celtic after all.

(If you hear a chewing sound in the distance, it's the sound of 100 humble pies being devoured).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's the buying team that request fees be undisclosed. However, if you are a shareholder (or, I imagine, a 'Well Society member) you can get access to the accounts, and it's pretty easy to work out from that what transfer fees we receive.

Aye, but we can stipulate as a fan owned club, everything is out in the open.

Just always been a bug bear of mine, although insignificant in the scheme of things.

Just now, alanos said:

Aye, but we can stipulate as a fan owned club, everything is out in the open.

Just always been a bug bear of mine, although insignificant in the scheme of things.

Alan

I'm on your side here - I find it very annoying. I just doubt it's something we can change on our own.

7 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Paraphrasing.      Didn’t they just say they would take care of him through any surgery and get him back to 100%?  So then first step would be to confirm surgery is required. 

Yes they did. I offered the opinon that the wise move would have been to seek a second opinion, as others were insinuating that there might have been some dubiety in the Celtic claim or the injury was fictitious. 

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

A loan :lol:

A tiny part of me regrets that didn't happen just to see how absolutely mental people would go (and who would try to polish the turd).

I would have lost the plot :lol::lol:

While it wouldn't have suited the fans, it would certainly suit Turnbull.

He gets his £10k a week now, and his move next year. Wouldn't surprise me if this loan suggestion was to keep him happy.

Hopefully he comes back fully fit after surgery and puts in some performances that alert clubs other than Celtic to his talent and potential, and that allows the club to choose not to deal with Celtic again after their shoddy handling of the whole thing.

Based on nothing other than interviews he's given I get the impression he'll do what he thinks is best for his long term career so I'd hope of it means  another year at Fir Park he'll be fine with that. He's too good to be wasted in Scottish football, he's got the potential to follow Andy Robertson's path.

1 minute ago, Big Stall said:

He gets his £10k a week now, and his move next year. Wouldn't surprise me if this loan suggestion was to keep him happy.

Surely the loan would just cover his current wages?

2 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

It's a crazy idea.

Loan your top asset to Celtic and allow them to take control of his recovery with no need to buy if they fuck it up.

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's a crazy idea.

Loan your top asset to Celtic and allow them to take control of his recovery with no need to buy if they fuck it up.

I just re-read it. I had assumed Celtic were going to pay less and loan him back to us. Not them expecting us to loan him to Celtic!

Hhahahahaaha. No wonder we told them to beat it!

Celtic statement 

"FOLLOWING the announcement today from Motherwell FC that the proposed transfer of David Turnbull from the club to Celtic will no longer take place, Celtic Football Club has released the following statement.

• ‘It is unfortunate that we were not able to proceed with the transfer of David to Celtic, having agreed a significant fee with Motherwell and reaching agreement with the player.

‘It is regrettable that David will be out of action for a considerable length of time and, clearly, these circumstances are totally outwith the club's control. We did everything we could to find a solution.

‘We would like to thank David and his representatives for the professionalism they have shown throughout. We also thank Motherwell FC for the way they have handled this process.

'We wish David all the very best with the operation and every success for the future.' "

We had john kennedy calling turnbull a money grabber,then they had the brass neck to put him in a celtic top,try to negotiate a smaller fee and now there's talk of trying to take him on loan,that lot have made a right arse of themselves throughout :lol::lol:,clearly they haven't learned much from the time they tried to take faddy on loan :lol::lol:

• David locked this topic