The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I think it would have been more understandable and that there would have been less fuss and less comments from our side had Celtic just announced that he failed medical and they are withdrawing their offer.  But no, they try and pull a fast one to get him for a reduced price. 

Superscoreboard Twitter (Clyde 1):
“We understand Motherwell pulled the plug on David Turnbull's move after Parkhead bosses offered to take the teenager on loan for a year without giving any guarantees they would still buy him next summer.”

Edited by sparky

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I think it would have been more understandable and that there would have been less fuss and less comments from our side had Celtic just announced that he failed medical and they are withdrawing their offer.  But no, they try and pull a fast one to get him for a reduced price. 

If you take your C&A tinted specs off for a second you'll see that they're well within their rights to try and take the price down a bit. He's out for six months potentially, no way would/should they pay full price after that. I would expect Motherwell to do the exact same thing in their shoes.

There's been a lot of rage at Celtic from our fans over the past couple of weeks, the 'magnificent offer' and John Kennedy pish completely justified. Trying to reduce the price a bit isn't.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, superward said:

Mullen is closely connected so might not be far off. 

I've heard everything from 2 months to 6 months. If its preventative as the club have said (i.e. there is no problem right now but could be in the future) then 6 months seems a very lengthy lay off. 

That said, I'm not a surgeon! 

This is very much my take on things, 6 months seems very excessive for something that's not there. As i mentioned already, if he never had a medical anywhere this summer would we even have known about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

If you take your C&A tinted specs off for a second you'll see that they're well within their rights to try and take the price down a bit. He's out for six months potentially, no way would/should they pay full price after that. I would expect Motherwell to do the exact same thing in their shoes.

My final word on the subject as there are now more pressing issues for us to address.  Its perfectly reasonable for Celtic to have wanted to amend the terms of the deal, as you say. However the devil is in the detail.  I would have thought that something along the lines of a reduction in the up front fee and an increase in the sell on %  would have been reasonable but that doesn't seem to be what was offered.  IF rumours of the revised offer are accurate then I can quite understand our fans' reaction.  We should offer the lad a 1 year extension. 

Despite the fact he was going to join Celtic I am genuinely sorry that this has happened to young David Turnbull. It must have been hell for him and his family to suffer such a disappointment and to have it reported and dragged in the media the way it was. I hope the operation is successful and that he makes a full recovery even though we will eventually have to lose him. He's only 19 so will recover quickly and with time on his side he will get his big move.

I'm also glad that Motherwell stood up to Celtic in this case and let them see they were not going to be bullied or coerced by them or their sycophantic media.

I'm certain David Turnbull will have the full unequivocal support of the club and us the fans and I for one wish him the speediest recovery even though as I say, we will eventually have to lose him.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Despite the fact he was going to join Celtic I am genuinely sorry that this has happened to young David Turnbull. It must have been hell for him and his family to suffer such a disappointment and to have it reported and dragged in the media the way it was. I hope the operation is successful and that he makes a full recovery even though we will eventually have to lose him. He's only 19 so will recover quickly and with time on his side he will get his big move.

I'm also glad that Motherwell stood up to Celtic in this case and let them see they were not going to be bullied or coerced by them or their sycophantic media.

I'm certain David Turnbull will have the full unequivocal support of the club and us the fans and I for one wish him the speediest recovery even though as I say, we will eventually have to lose him.

This 100%. Well said that man.

Hopefully in a year or so David Turnbull will look at this whole affair and think “ You know what, this has worked out for the best for both me and Motherwell”. As he has his big move and reflects on the fact that an early intervention may have prolonged his career. Meantime, try and stay positive David.

We all know David Turnbull is destined for a bigger club than Motherwell ( or Celtic for that matter) but it's the way Celtic have gone about this that's the problem for me. If there is something dodgy about his knee they could have said to Motherwell what  it was and said they were withdrawing from the deal but they put it into the public domain that he has knee problems so now  any team who are looking at him will be saying " this is the guy who was supposed to be a superstar but he has dodgy knees so we won't bother". Come next summer Celtic will be back in offering us £400K take it or leave it.  It's obviously not a big problem as they still want to sign him and a quote in today's  paper says he could have played his whole career without a  problem but there is the POSSIBILTY it could cause a significant  injury. The damage has now been done as he will be known as the guy with the dodgy knees.

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

There's been a lot of rage at Celtic from our fans over the past couple of weeks, the 'magnificent offer' and John Kennedy pish completely justified. Trying to reduce the price a bit isn't.

We differ on our opinion 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48803675

David Turnbull backed to reach 'very top' despite collapse of Motherwell to Celtic deal

David Turnbull will recover from a "rough week" and reach the "very top" despite his move to Celtic collapsing, Motherwell's chief executive says.

Celtic reviewed their £3.25m bid for the 19-year-old midfielder after a medical revealed he needed "immediate preventative" knee surgery.

Motherwell's Alan Burrows has said on Twitter he has "no idea" whether the player will eventually join Celtic.

"The only thing we're concentrating on is getting the boy back fit," he said.

"But he's a real strong lad from a great family and he'll bounce back and get his big move in time. It's not the end, just a little delayed."

Turnbull had agreed a four-year contract with Celtic after also holding talks with Norwich City, who had matched the Scottish champions' transfer offer after their promotion to England's top flight.

Motherwell say that, although Celtic were still keen to sign Turnbull following his medical, the Glasgow club revised their offer and the two clubs could not reach agreement.

"As I have said all along, he's destined for the very top," Burrows said. "This is but a speed bump for him."

Burrows thanked Celtic's medical staff, and physiotherapist Tim Williamson "in particular", for their "great care and sensitivity" and echoed Motherwell's previous statement pointing out they hope to have Turnbull back playing for them once he returns to full fitness.

However, asked when that might be, he added: "That's impossible to accurately calculate until he has the operation.

"We'll get him back asap, but we won't rush it. Important to be 100% bang on."

Turnbull became a first-team regular last season, scoring 15 goals in 31 appearances for the Scottish Premiership side.

15 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Hope Burrows learns from puting out embarrasing statement at start of this.  We move on. Least we declined knock down offer.

Is this embarrasing or well thought out . I ll let u decide. Personally i think Burrows is doing a great job.

• Like 9

He shouldn't just be "one of the highest earners at the club", he should be the best paid players at the club my miles. I've obviously not been around for our entire history but he's the best footballer we've had in at least 20 years.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic