The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I’m assuming the offer would be to somewhat soften the blow of missing out on good money but for most part help to keep his value up in as much that he would not shortly be available for free.  And I agree, should be the highest by a mile since we will more than recoup that when he goes and I have no doubts about him making it. 

Turnbull now has a decision to make regarding a new deal. He can see from what has just transpired that the club are not going to stand in his way when the next big offer comes along. A new longer deal will simply give him a deserved wage increase while we go through the process of getting him fit and healthy before showing what he can do when back in the first team. The deal means that we do not have to rush anything in that process. It basically gives us the upcoming season to get through the operation and get back up to speed. It is also worthwhile noting that he is still only 19. After the disappointment of the deal falling rough, it will do him no harm to realise that there is a club that still wants him and is prepared to put our time and money where our mouth is, and support him as his career develops.

• Like 3

It's a smart move on the clubs part I reckon. Gives DT an increased wage for the time when he's recovering, however long that may be, whilst securing the length of the contract for another three years. I've no doubt the club may also be thinking they may be able to get more than the previously agreed £3.25m in future sales, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a release clause set at £4m.

• Like 1

As mental as it sounds in this day & age of seeing how quickly a player can be punted, I'd love to see him sign the new deal, play with us for a season or two, then leave with a year on his contract for around £2 million to £3 million.

• Like 2

Is David Turnbull the most famous guy that nobody knows?  More press coverage than Trump or Johnson but not a word from the boy and many football fans couldn’t pick him out.  Quite the enigma. 

2 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Starts off with DT sitting in his living room. I was hoping for a scoop...... no quotes no facts, just the journo's views. Boring to be honest

It sounds like Waddell spoke to him and his family but he didn't want to do a proper interview.

1 hour ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

The annoying part of that is the whole ‘lottery ticket’ & ‘dream transfer’ part. As if Celtic is the be all and end all. 

The genuine premises is obviously correct but again blowing Celtics trumpet.  

The dream transfer bit is that they were offering him a contract worth a couple of million.

He has went from thinking he was set for life and on the up to wondering if his knee will allow him to have a career. That must be hard to take at 19.

Exactly this. Regardless of how minor the knee thing might seem to us, he hasn’t had a single injury issue in his short career and now has to have an operation on his knee for something he didn’t even know was there. He was a few minutes from guaranteed millions and now he needs to somehow focus on just being able to play this year. Seeing the Tanner situation play out can’t be encouraging either (Tanners injury may have been more serious, but he had issues arising from the op).

I think he will get through this fine, and from the outside it seems the club is well equipped to support him through it, and he seems like a mature 19 year old.

One question I have coming out of this is do clubs do these scans on healthy players to catch issues early, and if not, should they?

• Like 1

If the deal had been struck with Norwich, there would have been 1 small footnote in the Scottish media - there would be no "tragedy" or "disaster" or any other sensationalist hyperbole.

I'm sure it feels terrible when you're a 19 year old, but older level heads around him should be able to help him work through it. 

TBH I've not heard a celtic fan at work badmouth him(most asked at the start who is this guy and is he worth £3M?) and the one  guy I know who seen him outwith an OF game (against Livingston) says that he wishes him all the best as he is the type of player who fans of any club would pay to see play as his vision of the game is up there with the best - something I'd find hard to argue against. 

5 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

The annoying part of that is the whole ‘lottery ticket’ & ‘dream transfer’ part. As if Celtic is the be all and end all. 

The genuine premises is obviously correct but again blowing Celtics trumpet. 

I just think of stuff like Radio Clyde's phone in, during an ad break the producer will say to the panel, "OK, only time for one more call, I've got Malky frae Easterhoose wanting to discuss how Morelos is picked on or Giles from Bridge of Weir wanting to discuss the finer points and glaring issues with Project Brave ........."

Malky wins and will always win

Modern sports journalism is now based on clickbait, nothing more

8 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I just think of stuff like Radio Clyde's phone in, during an ad break the producer will say to the panel, "OK, only time for one more call, I've got Malky frae Easterhoose wanting to discuss how Morelos is picked on or Giles from Bridge of Weir wanting to discuss the finer points and glaring issues with Project Brave ........."

Malky wins and will always win

Modern sports journalism is now based on clickbait, nothing more

Caught sight of the Daily Record at work the other day. The front page was taken up entirely by two Old Firm stories...

12 hours ago, fizoxy said:

One question I have coming out of this is do clubs do these scans on healthy players to catch issues early, and if not, should they?

It’s probably all down to money. If a player appears to be fit and healthy with no sign of any problems there would be no reason to do any checks. However, if a player is subject to a 3M+ transfer it’s only right and proper that extensive medical checks are done before any money exchanges hands.

36 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

It’s probably all down to money. If a player appears to be fit and healthy with no sign of any problems there would be no reason to do any checks. However, if a player is subject to a 3M+ transfer it’s only right and proper that extensive medical checks are done before any money exchanges hands.

This.  I read this somewhere in the past few days.  Top English clubs subject potential signing targets to a whole battery of sophisticated and very expensive medical tests whilst those down the pecking order will cut their cloth accordingly.  I suppose if you're on the brink of forking out £10m a series of medical tests costing say £10,000 are small beer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Top English clubs subject potential signing targets to a whole battery of sophisticated and very expensive medical tests whilst those down the pecking order will cut their cloth accordingly.  I suppose if you're on the brink of forking out £10m a series of medical tests costing say £10,000 are small beer.

David Turnbull has benefitted from these exhaustive tests as it has found something that could have had serious repercussions later on in his career. In the longterm I’m sure he will be very grateful and I’m sure Celtic will wish him all the best for a speedy recovery. 

• David locked this topic