The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

On 9/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, grizzlyg said:

A year and a half ago I suggested Dicky Tait for Scotland and got laughed at. After watching Stephen O'Donnell last night I don't think it was such a bad suggestion.  I know o'Donnell is a wishaw lad but out his depth last night.....but not as bad as catweasle mcburnie 

I feel for O'Donnell, as he maybe isn't quite of that level, but at the same time, we should be able to survive with a couple of bodies of a lower quality. That only works if guys like Robertson, Forrest, Fraser, McGinn etc., who do play at a higher level and can be much better than they've showed for Scotland actually do it. They need to step up and play at the level they can. 

FWIW, I think Tait is unlucky to not have had the call. At the time I'd say it was a straight choice between him and O'Donnell, and unfortunately for Tait, O'Donnell got the call so he's the guy and you'd imagine will remain there because he now has the experience. 

5 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

"International class defender" - in fact "international class anything" is the dumbest statement you can say about a player.  What us International class when the level runs from Belgium to San Marino?

The point I’m trying to make is that Declan Gallagher is not good enough to be playing for Scotland, perhaps I never made that clear enough for you 

4 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

The point I’m trying to make is that Declan Gallagher is not good enough to be playing for Scotland, perhaps I never made that clear enough for you 

I originally asked if Gallagher would be good enough to play for Scotland and not sure myself but I think he is our best signing for a long time, I think he reads the game very well, his only question mark is his pace and can be caught out, but on saying that he is no worse than McKenna (who I don’t rate) or any other Scottish centre back that I have seen recently.

5 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

None of our players are good enough to play against the top 30 odd nations.  The problem is we still pick them and hope.  

Many of our "good" players have now played for various managers - it's time to say it's never been the manager but the players that are the problem.  

On 9/9/2019 at 2:51 PM, middleeastdave said:

I originally asked if Gallagher would be good enough to play for Scotland and not sure myself but I think he is our best signing for a long time, I think he reads the game very well, his only question mark is his pace and can be caught out, but on saying that he is no worse than McKenna (who I don’t rate) or any other Scottish centre back that I have seen recently.

Spot on.  Good enough to play for Scotland  - no, but there again who is?  He's one of the best central defenders in the Premiership right now and whilst not lightning quick is pretty fast.   Virtually unbeatable in the air.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Unless he signs an extended deal, Celtic might offer us £1m+ next summer, on the basis he'll have one year left on his deal and he's had a major injury/still to prove he's fully regained his form.  

33 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Unless he signs an extended deal, Celtic might offer us £1m+ next summer, on the basis he'll have one year left on his deal and he's had a major injury/still to prove he's fully regained his form.  

Indeed they might, but presumably we took that into consideration when rejecting whatever their reduced offer was, and decided it was worth the risk.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, Stu92 said:

If back in January I anticipate another deadline day soap opera like in the summer, except this time not for a club-record fee...

I doubt it will go on long. Celtic well and truly in the driving seat this time. That injury will end up costing the club big style. People thought 3 million was not enough, watch what he goes for now.

I don't know.  I think we might be "protected" in January to some extent if Celtic don't meet the original valuation given that he extended his contract until 2021 in March this year.

But if when he recovers he doesn't quite reach the heights of last season and we begin to move into that last year then I would think that would be quite a dilemma for the club.  Do they hope with a full pre-season he recovers the form of old or begin to lower their expectations a little.  Tricky one again.

• David locked this topic