The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't think Celtic would be a good fit for Turnbull now. I did in the Summer but I think he'd be better off elsewhere now.

I always felt the closest comparisons in Scottish football were guys like Christie in particular and perhaps Rogic.

Celtic already have these guys. 

Having said that perhaps Christie will move on.  He's performed really well in Europe this season and that's where the scouts really take note of people.

• Like 1

If Turnbull is smart he'll calm the jets on any move and look to re-establish himself as a player first. He's been out for a while now, and before talk of million pound moves happen he needs to show potential suitors that he's still the player he looked like becoming.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on Turnbull???  If we are looking to punt him in January then you'd like to think he will pull on a jersey in a couple of weeks to even make a few cameo appearances.

Otherwise the Smellic will come in with a derisory low ball offer of 'your player is a crock, here's £300000 and be grateful'...

• Like 1

Is it me, or is there something inherently weird about this?! The kid has played football for Motherwell since he was 10 years old and never had any injury issues. He plays all of last season and is a revelation and yet his Celtic deal stalls due to some injury which isnt an injury but might be an injury sometime in his life. He then goes for a "Minor Op" and more than 3 months later is STILL a month or two away from playing? 

What exactly was the problem that wasnt a problem but might have been a problem at some point later in his life maybe?

• Like 1

I don't think it's weird for a professional footballer. The op was preventative and obviously something all parties agreed was a good idea.

A simple fracture in the leg would be minor too, but after 6 weeks in plaster, could still take some work to get back to full fitness.

11 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I was suggesting it ironically to go along with the fannies that think something other than Turnbull needing a few months to recover from knee surgery is going on.

It must be my cynical mind caused by decades of ra sellick paying buttons for our best players.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Does anyone actually think that Celtic are going to pay £3 million for a player who's been out for six months and hasn't kicked a ball? There's no way we're getting that for him now. Not a chance.

Then let's just keep him.

As a fan owned club whose reason for existence is to entertain the crowd, there's a lot value in having him stick around for a while yet. No point in flogging all our best players before they manage a full season with the club. If he's happy to stay at Fir Park, I'm happy to watch him play.

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

Then let's just keep him.

As a fan owned club whose reason for existence is to entertain the crowd, there's a lot value in having him stick around for a while yet. No point in flogging all our best players before they manage a full season with the club. If he's happy to stay at Fir Park, I'm happy to watch him play.

It would depend if he was happy to stay though, I would doubt he would be with a Celtic hovering. On top of that the closer we get to running down his contract the less he’s worth. We’re not in a particularly good position now in my view and the 3 million which I know a good few though was not enough now looks a good deal. Whatever happens we’re going to end up with a fraction of that or god forbid nothing at all further down the line.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

It would depend if he was happy to stay though, I would doubt he would be with a Celtic hovering. On top of that the closer we get to running down his contract the less he’s worth. We’re not in a particularly good position now in my view and the 3 million which I know a good few though was not enough now looks a good deal. Whatever happens we’re going to end up with a fraction of that or god forbid nothing at all further down the line.

Putting the excuses in early.

If he comes back in and starts scoring at the same rate then his value won't have changed at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Putting the excuses in early.

If he comes back in and starts scoring at the same rate then his value won't have changed at all.

Sorry don’t know what you mean by excuses, I’m simply airing my view on possible outcomes based on experiences with other players in the past. Not sure if a Motherwell player has ever turned down a move to Celtic if given the chance ? Life changing contract on offer, would you turn that down in his position ? As a contract moves further towards ending value drops although he is still contracted to 2001 so maybe not an issue at this time. Look I’m well aware whenever he goes you’re going to take a pop at the club, you nearly always do. But the reality could actually be that was as high a figure we were ever going to get, time will tell.

Just now, superward said:

He was being bought for the Nowrwich U23s so not sure how much experience he'd have got to be fair.

I'd quite like to just see him back playing for us before any transfer chat.

Kipré was bought for our U20s, but he made the step up quite quickly.  Pure speculation, of course, but I think his shot at the first team would have come quite quickly. Even if he ended up being loaned out a Championship team, I think he would learn more than playing Accies and Livingston another 15 times.

I'm with you, though. The more often he plays for us, the better.

• David locked this topic