The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

14 hours ago, superward said:

Official site update now showing Turnbull as hopefully ready Spring 2020...

So he will  be back for the start of next season then if Celtic don't come back in for him in the summer,  not convinced we will  see him in a well Jersey again tbh.

18 hours ago, superward said:

Official site update now showing Turnbull as hopefully ready Spring 2020...

So we are looking at him coming back with only one year left on his contract, not a great situation for the club. I suspect Celtic back in for him in the summer with an offer of 1million or so.

What you've never had, you'll never miss. No point getting too upset about transfer fees for young David when the transfer didn't happen.

He is a contracted player for the rest of this season and for next season. We need to concentrate on getting him fit, healthy and back playing football for us. No shortcuts for short term gain.  If we can get him back to where he was before the injury, we will all do very well out of the situation. We do need to, though, remember that he is much more than just an asset for our club, with a value, increasing or diminishing, on a balance sheet. He is a young man who has had a serious mental and physical jolt, with his dreams of a great career move, and all that entailed, shattered. He needs our help and support to get back on track.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

Out for 8 months for an operation on an injury that he never had and might never have needed?  Whats going on here? This is gonna cost the club Millions!

Whatever's going on, I very much doubt we'd have sent him for an op that only Celtic thought he needed, unless we've already agreed a post-op fee for him. Far too big a risk for him and for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaka said:

Out for 8 months for an operation on an injury that he never had and might never have needed?  Whats going on here? This is gonna cost the club Millions!

What are you talking about? An injury he never had, he had an operation for fuck sake. Of course he had an injury! And he obviously needed it because if he didn’t he wouldn’t of had an operation! Do you really think doctors just make this shit up? Your off your head.

• Like 3

I like the theory that Celtic faked a medical report and forced Turnbull to somehow persuade a surgeon to fuck about with his perfectly fine knee to an extent where he can’t play football for 6+ months. That would have been some consultation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, johnstone said:

What are you talking about? An injury he never had, he had an operation for fuck sake. Of course he had an injury! And he obviously needed it because if he didn’t he wouldn’t of had an operation! Do you really think doctors just make this shit up? Your off your head.

Nothing like that, we were told the Operation was Precautionary, because the Celtic Medical picked something up that MIGHT affect him in the future. Im not disputing the Medical report or the Operation. Im disputing what we are being told!

Turnbull has no history of Injury Problems, and he finished the Season fine. Was he already Injured? Has there been complications?  Because to me,  8 months out for what we were told was a Straightforward, Precautionary Operation is a hoorna long time, especially when many other players come back from Serious Injuries in less time!

• Like 1

It's taking a bit longer to come back than estimated, for whatever reason. I'm not sure there is any need for the conspiracy theory stuff. The club have always been tight lipped about it. 

Now, if we are looking conspiracy and stuff going on behind the scenes hop over and look at Oxford just making a bid for Chris Cadden...

I'm pretty sure we got second opinion ffs :lol: People seem to think the conversation has went immediately from "Cheers for the heads up Celtic" to "Unlucky Davey boy, we're taking Celtic at their word so you're going under the knife in five minutes. See you in February!".

14 hours ago, Shaka said:

Nothing like that, we were told the Operation was Precautionary, because the Celtic Medical picked something up that MIGHT affect him in the future. Im not disputing the Medical report or the Operation. Im disputing what we are being told!

Turnbull has no history of Injury Problems, and he finished the Season fine. Was he already Injured? Has there been complications?  Because to me,  8 months out for what we were told was a Straightforward, Precautionary Operation is a hoorna long time, especially when many other players come back from Serious Injuries in less time!

You think the club is lying to us? For what reason would they do that? 

There may very well be complications with his rehab. Some people respond quicker to treatment, it doesn't really mean anything in the long run. What is unfortunate from the club's perspective is that all of this time out is eating away at his contract. 

I think there's a good chance we'll go from envisioning a £3 million profit, to seeing us pay his wages while he's out injured, and for him to either leave in the summer with a year left on his deal for far less than the £3 million originally touted, or even worse, walk for nothing the year following.

15 hours ago, Yassin said:

Apparently he failed a drugs test during his Celtic medical and Motherwell and Celtic came up with the operation story to explain his 8 month absence. The SFA see him as a future Scotland asset so agreed to go along with it and not make the ban public.

Otherwise known as the "Michael Jordan retires from the NBA as he really wants to play baseball for a year" tactic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David said:

You think the club is lying to us? For what reason would they do that? 

There may very well be complications with his rehab. Some people respond quicker to treatment, it doesn't really mean anything in the long run. What is unfortunate from the club's perspective is that all of this time out is eating away at his contract. 

I think there's a good chance we'll go from envisioning a £3 million profit, to seeing us pay his wages while he's out injured, and for him to either leave in the summer with a year left on his deal for far less than the £3 million originally touted, or even worse, walk for nothing the year following.

That’s my fear, other than that I don’t buy any of the conspiracy chat. He had an op because a detailed medical showed a potential future problem and it’s taking a good while to heal.

14 hours ago, David said:

I know I keep saying this, but I'd be delighted to see Turnbull play for us for another season and a half.

We shouldn't be flogging off our best assets before they even manage a full season in our first team. While it's valuable to be able to develop players to sell on later, the fundamental reason for our academy to exist has to be to provide a quality of player that we could never afford to buy.  And the only reason our team exists is to provide entertainment to the paying punters on a Saturday afternoon. It's not a business that needs to expand its range of products, increase shareholder dividends or fund a takeover. 

And while £3 million or whatever should never be dismissed out of hand, it has to be balanced with providing value to the club. And under many circumstances, value to the club doesn't always mean money in the bank.

(Of course, if we were desperate for the cash, or Turnbull was desperate to leave, it would be a different story).

49 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I know I keep saying this, but I'd be delighted to see Turnbull play for us for another season and a half.

We shouldn't be flogging off our best assets before they even manage a full season in our first team. While it's valuable to be able to develop players to sell on later, the fundamental reason for our academy to exist has to be to provide a quality of player that we could never afford to buy.  And the only reason our team exists is to provide entertainment to the paying punters on a Saturday afternoon. It's not a business that needs to expand its range of products, increase shareholder dividends or fund a takeover. 

And while £3 million or whatever should never be dismissed out of hand, it has to be balanced with providing value to the club. And under many circumstances, value to the club doesn't always mean money in the bank.

(Of course, if we were desperate for the cash, or Turnbull was desperate to leave, it would be a different story).

I would have thought our model is partly based on selling players. They come through the academy, play with us for a while, then move on to a bigger club. Clubs like Crew did it successfully for years and rebuilt half the stadium on the back of it. While we have the well society could the club stay in the premiership on that alone, hold on to our most valuable players and the entertainment that would bring ?

I think the reality is that first and foremost the club wants to stay in the premiership regardless of the quality of football on offer.

• David locked this topic