The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

19 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51157251

Sadly no mention of him signing a new contract

David Turnbull: Motherwell midfielder opens up on Celtic transfer saga

David Turnbull has spoken about how he had to learn to walk again after the "horrible" injury that scuppered his move from Motherwell to Celtic.

The midfielder, 20, was set to join the Scottish champions for a Fir Park record fee of £3.25m in June before failing his medical.

As a result, the Scottish Football Writers' young player of the year has been out of action since May following preventative knee surgery.

"It was horrible," said Turnbull.

"After the operation I couldn't even lift my leg. It was just like going from the highest to the lowest.

"My family all helped me, but I was just trying to think positively and I think it was six to eight weeks before I could start walking. And that was with crutches.

"I lost so much muscle in my leg and obviously I hadn't walked in two months. Davie [Henderson, club physio] was trying to teach me how to walk again and as silly as it sounds it was tough to do.

"Once I started walking I was just trying to get the strength back in my leg and that took a while as well."

Turnbull burst into the Motherwell first team last season, scoring 15 goals in 34 games for his boyhood heroes, 12 of them in the final 17 games of the campaign.

It triggered bids from clubs including both Celtic and Norwich City for the then teenager, with a move to Parkhead the preferred choice.

However, a previously undetected issue caused Turnbull's world to be turned upside down.

"My head was all over the place, to be honest," he explained to BBC Scotland. "I would just be sitting in my room or the living room and then my agent would phone me and tell me this team or the next team. It was team after team. My head was just everywhere and then bids started coming in and I knew it was going to be time up.

"I was obviously set for a big change in my life. Completely. I had been with Motherwell since I was 10. So it was going to be something really big to me. A lot different to what I had been doing.

"Then that came along. It was horrible. It was something I didn't know I had and I had to get it done. When I saw the scans it was massive and I just had to listen to the medical advice. But I've forgotten about that now and I just need to look to returning.

"Going back to Motherwell I knew that they would treat me well and everyone does treat me brilliantly. I know how well everyone loves me and I love the club as well. It helped a lot."

Turnbull is determined to return to Stephen Robinson's side before the end of the season and has already set his sights on lofty goals.

The Motherwell boss said he hopes to have the attacking midfielder back in claret and amber before this season's split, and the twice-capped Under-21 player feels he could help the senior national squad when he returns to full fitness.

When asked if a spot in Steve Clarke's set-up was a realistic aim, he replied: "It will be.

"I just need to get back to my best. Hopefully as soon as possible. I need to get match fit but that is something I'll look to for the future.

"I do feel like I could contribute to the team."

You can watch James McFadden's full interview with David Turnbull on Scottish Cup Sportscene on Saturday at 19:15 BST on the BBC Scotland channel.

David doesn't say the word Celtic once in that interview yet they still find a way to portray it as a heartbreaking piece about his disappointment at not getting to move to Celtic. 

I fuckin hate Scottish football journalists. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

David doesn't say the word Celtic once in that interview yet they still find a way to portray it as a heartbreaking piece about his disappointment at not getting to move to Celtic. 

I fuckin hate Scottish football journalists. 

I think that it's more to do with SEO and website hits to be honest. Articles with "Celtic" or "Rangers" in the title will appear in more internet searches than others as most of the Scottish football internet traffic centres around the both of those clubs.

It's shit of course, but media outlets are all about the clicks, and journos need their articles to be getting "views" otherwise they could end up getting grief from those in charge.

I think that is a generous interpretation. The Record has inserted Rangers and Celtic in all its football articles as often as it can for as long as I can remember - and I remember reading  it in the 70s. The OF has always been their target audience.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, weeyin said:

I think that is a generous interpretation. The Record has inserted Rangers and Celtic in all its football articles as often as it can for as long as I can remember - and I remember reading  it in the 70s. The OF has always been their target audience.

It's a modern interpretation. Back in the 70's it was all about selling newspapers, today it's about clicks on websites and driving traffic to those websites, so it's essentially the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Heard from a good source he’ll be back playing in 3 weeks 

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

So, if true and going to plan a return against accies at new douglas park. 10 minute cameo so, a hat-trick say?

That plastic shit-tip would not be my first choice of park on which to relaunch the newly-bionic Mr Turnbull.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, David said:

It's a modern interpretation. Back in the 70's it was all about selling newspapers, today it's about clicks on websites and driving traffic to those websites, so it's essentially the same thing.

From pals who work in the industry; aye. It's a frustration among folk that doesn't play out in the numbers. While individuals rightly complain about it, the numbers don't back it up for groups, hence why it's done.

An old firm angle to a story makes sense.

I’ll read a story about Motherwell with or without, but your average Rangers/Celtic fan won’t, unless it’s wrapped up as a Rangers/Celtic story.

Probably explains the constant reference to “Steven Gerrards Rangers” as he will attract clicks from Liverpool fans etc.

• Like 1

On returns from Injury, I see Andre Gomes is now back training with the first team squad after just three months out. Considering his ankle was hanging off that is very good going, I don't believe for a second that Turnbull has been in the best hands in his recovery, but it's mad how he can be back training within 3 months after his injury compared to Turnbull who has been out 7 months with keyhole preventative surgery. 

Just goes to show the complications that come with Knee surgery and how much it takes to get back to normal, if it ever will.

11 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Completely different injuries, knees are complex, and looking at the scar on turnbulls knee that was some size of a keyhole.

And, by all accounts, Gomes' injury was a clean break and dislocation - which is pretty straightforward (from a medical perspective).

51 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Completely different injuries, knees are complex, and looking at the scar on turnbulls knee that was some size of a keyhole.

Absolutely,  not only that but with a knee it's much harder mentally as well. If you were told someone snapped there ankle in two and someone had preventitive surgery on there knee, you would probably have there periods in the stands reversed.

22 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

On returns from Injury, I see Andre Gomes is now back training with the first team squad after just three months out. Considering his ankle was hanging off that is very good going, I don't believe for a second that Turnbull has been in the best hands in his recovery, but it's mad how he can be back training within 3 months after his injury compared to Turnbull who has been out 7 months with keyhole preventative surgery. 

Just goes to show the complications that come with Knee surgery and how much it takes to get back to normal, if it ever will.

I thought you were going to suggest Andre Gomes on loan...:focus:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

He'll probably get 20 minutes on the final day then sold on the Monday.

Doubt anyone will buy him after 20 minutes gametime in a season that was written off with a knee injury. May be no bad thing because then we will probably get to enjoy him playing for us till next January.

24 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Doubt anyone will buy him after 20 minutes gametime in a season that was written off with a knee injury. May be no bad thing because then we will probably get to enjoy him playing for us till next January.

Unless there is an agreement with Celtic we don't know about. 

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Unless there is an agreement with Celtic we don't know about. 

Was that not 1 of the options Celtic tried to use to sign him. Get him on loan last summer for the Season, he recuperates with them then we agree a fee in the summer

• David locked this topic