The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

16 hours ago, Shaka said:

Was that not 1 of the options Celtic tried to use to sign him. Get him on loan last summer for the Season, he recuperates with them then we agree a fee in the summer

I believe the logic to that one was that if he was still our player, medical costs/insurance would be covered by us. 

If he doesn't sign a contract extension with us I can't see this ending well. He's currently out of contract at the end of May 2021, and if he comes back at the arse-end of this season he'll likely not do much until the new season, at which point he can sign a pre-contract with Celtic in January I assume?

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

There is a massive presumption that Celtic are still intersted.

With the way the negotiations happened and the comments in the aftermath, I'd be surprised if they don't still have the first option to buy.

If they decline, I'd still be surprised to see Turnbull at Fir Park next season in role other than "back for a visit".

I'd be delighted, however, if he is in our line-up next season.

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

They will be offered him but they'd be daft to blindy buy a guy who misses a season on a dodgy knee.

They would be daft to blindly buy any guy. But we know he'll be subjected to at least the same rigourous level of medical tests that identified the issue in the first place.

I'd be happier if nobody wanted him until he gets another full season under his belt at Fir Park, but I can't see that happening. I fully expect a club will be happy to take a relatively low risk on him. If not Celtic, then an English club.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, David said:

If he doesn't sign a contract extension with us I can't see this ending well. He's currently out of contract at the end of May 2021, and if he comes back at the arse-end of this season he'll likely not do much until the new season, at which point he can sign a pre-contract with Celtic in January I assume?

Surely it makes sense for both him and the club to sign, say, a new two year deal with better terms and a reasonable release clause?

The Celtic transfer puzzled me and would do even more now.  They have Ryan Christie and Tom Rogic is coming back from injury.  

Just now, weeyin said:

Celtic seem to like buying decent players with no real plan on how to use them. The most recent example is Lewis Morgan who played the vast majority of his football on loan before being punted to the MLS.

Think it's a calculated risk built into their business plan. They can sign 5 Eboue Kouassis every window if one of them turns into an Ajer or Christie.

22 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Think it's a calculated risk built into their business plan. They can sign 5 Eboue Kouassis every window if one of them turns into an Ajer or Christie.

I'm sure that's part of it. The cynic in me also thinks a part of it is keeping some of the better youngsters out of the hands of their rivals.

30 minutes ago, Yassin said:

No they can't. He cost 3 million. 

They need transfer fees like Armstrong and Dembele to cover their wage bill if they don't make the CL. 

• David locked this topic