The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

14 hours ago, weeyin said:

If we're going with a back three, then Dunne plays the left side. Back four, then it's tough on Hartley, but I can see Dunne taking his spot - at least until big Declan gets moved on for a few quid.

Dare I say it but one of the reasons we've been better this season is Dunne hasn't been playing.

15 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Dare I say it but one of the reasons we've been better this season is Dunne hasn't been playing.

I'm not sure about that. Dunne is prone to the occasional blunder and his passing isn't exactly top notch but I reckon he's better than Hartley. The latter might have good leadership qualities and be better at attacking set pieces but he's not as good defensively and his passing is suicidial at times. I don't think our defence has been great at all this year despite recording quite a few clean sheets.  Undoubtedly Gallagher and Gillespie have been the defensive rocks. Both Hartley and Dunne are out of contract at the end of this year, and as far as I know, neither have been offered new deals so far.  Defensively neither Carroll nor Grimshaw/Tait have been great, although that may be down to the way they're instructed to play.  Certainly many of our opponents have been pretty toothless so far and fortunately have been unable to convert frequent chances into goals. Although we limited St Mirren to one goal on Saturday they missed a few chances and also hit woodwork.

How about this for a starting XI

Gillespie 

Gallagher    Donnelly   Dunne

Arrons     Campbell     O’Hara    Polworth

Turnbull    
                    Watt.                          Long

• Sad 1

If it wasn't for his pace Dunne would be nowhere near the first team IMO,  distribution shocking but Hartley's distribution shocking also.    If Dunne comes back then it is in place of Hartley, not Left-Back though I have to say I have not been impressed with Carroll recently,   runs to halfway line then always a sideway pass plus his defending not been great as has Grimshaw's.  

If Robbo changed to a back 3 then I would have Dunne, Gallagher and Hartley though feel sorry forbig Declan trying to keep the pair of them in check.   COYW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

How about this for a starting XI

Gillespie 

Gallagher    Donnelly   Dunne

Arrons     Campbell     O’Hara    Polworth

Turnbull    
                    Watt.                          Long

Trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Ok after recent debacles where are the round holes ?????

when you posted it, for me it was Donnelly and Polworth, I thought Donelly was done at CB however gladly ( or maybe more relieved) he played very well so I am happy to admit maybe I was wrong on that one, he maybe does still have CB in his locker. You do still have Polworth as a square peg in a round hole though playing in left midfield?

It is a dilemma because when Turnbull is back, we have 4 very capable players for three roles. I don't know who drops out and I am glad it is not my decision.

27 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

when you posted it, for me it was Donnelly and Polworth, I thought Donelly was done at CB however gladly ( or maybe more relieved) he played very well so I am happy to admit maybe I was wrong on that one, he maybe does still have CB in his locker. You do still have Polworth as a square peg in a round hole though playing in left midfield?

It is a dilemma because when Turnbull is back, we have 4 very capable players for three roles. I don't know who drops out and I am glad it is not my decision.

Polworth on the left may or may not work but I would try it for his passing ability alone…… think the back 3 can at least defend 

Still think on paper it’s a formation worth a try 

On 2/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, Ya Bezzer! said:

The reason we have been better is our keeper is saving far more shots than he should compared to any other keeper in Scotland.  

1 minute ago, Wellfan1984 said:

The reason we have been better is our keeper is saving far more shots than he should compared to any other keeper in Scotland.  

We had also scored more goals than any other team outside the OF in the first half of the season. That often helps.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Suggesting to play Polworth anywhere other than in the middle of a midfield 3 is daft IMO. He doesn't have the work ethic to play anywhere else.

Reminds me of Vigurs in the respect.

No offence Busta. But that is a lot of nonsense.

Polworth has one of the best work rates in the team. The guy does an absolute shit load of running and covers a lot of ground.

Even Robbo himself stated that he regularly tops the most miles covered in a game. 

Think you are doing him a massive injustice. 

• Like 2

• David locked this topic