The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

20 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's certainly a fine balance, and one that obviously has market and timing pressures. It just feels that in the past 12 - 18 months the pendulum has swung too far towards "sell young and sell early" and now we are in the situation where our only regularly starting academy graduate claimed his place in 2017.

It wasn't that long ago we had Cadden, Campbell, Turnbull, Hastie and Scott in the first team. We need to get back towards that model sooner rather than later.

Scott aside, any of the young players that have left the club for a fee have done so by their own choice and not by Motherwell’s choice to actively sell them. 
motherwell have only made the best  of the situations they have found themselves in as I believe they offered the lads new contract extension’s which were refused. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Sorry if I’ve forgotten anyone

No need to apologise, but you have forgotten players that didn't even make it to the first team e.g. Reece McAlear and Stuart McKinstry.

And Turnbull is only here because of his surgery.

I felt a bit emotional towards the end of that. Superb content from the club. Clearly the boy has the mental strength and dedication to match his talent. Fingers crossed he goes on to reach the level he was destined for and he’s representing Scotland come the summer. 

Our media team are really something else!

That was a great watch and really brings into focus how precarious the career of a professional footballer can be.

Was interesting to hear that the injury was much more serious than initially disclosed and great to see Davids resolve to get back to his best.

I hope we get to see more than just a fleeting glimpse of him back in claret and amber, but there is no doubting the boy is still heading to the top!

What a lot of complete and utter dross that video was. Nothing against Turnbull but it was a lot of self-indulgent shite. From listening to him gushing about Celtic to us basically trying to punt him as some sort of second coming of Christ.... Boke....

Can we just get back to actually showing some decent footage, giving decent match updates and dropping all this misty eyed "we go again" pish?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

What a lot of complete and utter dross that video was. Nothing against Turnbull but it was a lot of self-indulgent shite. From listening to him gushing about Celtic to us basically trying to punt him as some sort of second coming of Christ.... Boke....

Can we just get back to actually showing some decent footage, giving decent match updates and dropping all this misty eyed "we go again" pish?

I wouldn't quite put it like that but yes I agree with you.  The behind the scenes recovery & human elements were interesting but the video could have been reduced to say 10 minutes max. 38 minutes is in danger of losing the viewer's interest. The Celtic stuff at the start was totally OTT and some of the London stuff eg the tubes and bridges/buses was also unnecessary. Not quite sure who the video is aimed at but there's certainly a promotional element to it. I suspect we'll hear a lot more from the club, and rightly so, before the summer to put him in the shop window. i suspect both parties now want him to move on as it seems increasingly unlikely he's prepared to sign an extended deal. In all likelihood if he plays 3/4 full games, performs well, and scores a goal or perhaps 2 everyone will be happy. Agree that we need to get back to basic media contact for the fans. 

I may be in the minority but I much prefer the current media content as opposed to the 'basic media content' the match updates for example don't interest me in the slightest, every 25 minutes highlighting the key points is fine, along with goals and subs. I couldn't care less about hearing of Chris long's shot that deflected of the Ross county CB in which the resultant corner was collected by Ross Laidlaw. Followed 30 seconds later by Ross countys quick break which was broken down by Grimshaw. When scrolling through the twitter feed it is a waste of time. Does the Viva motherwell page not post match updates now anyway?

I may be in the minority but I much prefer the current media content as opposed to the 'basic media content' the match updates for example don't interest me in the slightest, every 25 minutes highlighting the key points is fine, along with goals and subs. I couldn't care less about hearing of Chris long's shot that deflected of the Ross county CB in which the resultant corner was collected by Ross Laidlaw. Followed 30 seconds later by Ross countys quick break which was broken down by Grimshaw. When scrolling through the twitter feed it is a waste of time. Does the Viva motherwell page not post match updates now anyway?

Question out of interest, how many games do you see a season?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

As many as I possibly can, I don't have a season ticket as it's just not viable, still play football on a saturday. This season I have been to maybe just over 20 games (mixture of home and away) Out of interest, why do you ask?
Of course. The in game tweets are obviously designed for fans who can't make games.

Given your view was curious to see how many you made to see how many times you might be following games online rather than being there to get some context for your opinion.

I've seen lots of people who don't make too many games say they've given up on the official twitter account completely and follow local newspapers and even on betting sites to try to get a feel for how things are going. That can't be right.

Personally I'd rather have too much information and filter out what isn't relevant than the sparse updates when I can't make it.

There waw also the mooted intention to cater for both preferrences with a "Match Day" service as provided by other clubs but that hasn't materialised yet.

13 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Looks like we're showcasing him before the summer window opens.

100% bang on, nothing more. We need to show he isnt "damaged goods" if we are to flog him in the summer. Early promotion in gear

35 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Of course. The in game tweets are obviously designed for fans who can't make games.

Given your view was curious to see how many you made to see how many times you might be following games online rather than being there to get some context for your opinion.

I've seen lots of people who don't make too many games say they've given up on the official twitter account completely and follow local newspapers and even on betting sites to try to get a feel for how things are going. That can't be right.

Personally I'd rather have too much information and filter out what isn't relevant than the sparse updates when I can't make it.

There waw also the mooted intention to cater for both preferrences with a "Match Day" service as provided by other clubs but that hasn't materialised yet.

A dedicated match day twitter account could well be an idea, which for people like myself can follow if they please and can ignore otherwise. Sometimes, particularly since the turn of the year, no news is good news, especially since any news seems to have been goal for anyone other than motherwell haha.

I am sure there is a middle ground somewhere which would have every fan happy. Just realised I implied we could have something that would keep every fan happy and realised how mental I sound. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I for one mcu prefer the tweets of what is happening in the game there and then, rather the way it is. At least you get an idea of how the game is going. The way it is just now, when a goal is scored, you don't know if it was coming or against the run of play.

For those of us that don't get to every game, the tweets should be providing that insight.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I am sure there is a middle ground somewhere which would have every fan happy. Just realised I implied we could have something that would keep every fan happy and realised how mental I sound. 

you can’t please some people.
:lol:

A solution would surely be a matchday twitter account or could they not just delete all the tweets an hour after FT?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shaka said:

100% bang on, nothing more. We need to show he isnt "damaged goods" if we are to flog him in the summer. Early promotion in gear

We need to show the world it wasn't all a big conspiracy like some Motherwell fans genuinely believed it was.

Heaven forbid we should be promoting ourselves as a club or our most valuable player. The media folk did a splendid job and gave our fans an insight into the professionalism and dedication and coherence of our club. Regardless of (some) if its intention to quash the rumours and doubts around David Turnbull’s recovery and to put him squarely back in the market place at a time when a contract extension is increasingly unlikely, this was a polished piece of work that made me take  pride in the way our club goes about its business. 
So congratulations to everyone - everyone - involved in this documentary and please keep up the good work.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

or could they not just delete all the tweets an hour after FT?

I wouldn't like that... I quite often get home on a Saturday oblivious to the score, and used to quite like catching up 'live' as I was scrolling through my timeline. Now I have to scroll through the match thread on here instead ;)

12 minutes ago, numpty said:

I wouldn't like that... I quite often get home on a Saturday oblivious to the score, and used to quite like catching up 'live' as I was scrolling through my timeline. Now I have to scroll through the match thread on here instead ;)

57 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

you can’t please some people.
:lol:

:P 

• David locked this topic